Push or fold strategy against loose fish

• clicks
      clicks
      Bronze
      I was playing on a table where this one guy to my right was calling my raises with T4s. He sucked out in a big pot against me and I ended up short stacked. So I was waiting for an opportunity to push, but whenever I got a pushable hand he was always limping in before me, reducing the range of hands I could push with. Should I ignore such a fish and use the chart as if he hadn't entered the pot? Also, with how many BBs should I be pushing any 2 cards? I ended up getting blinded out, lol.
  • 7 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Well u kind of left out some important facts about the way he sucked out on u like what the blinds were, how many chips did each of u have, what positions did u hold relative to the button, what level u were playing, was it an SnG or MTT...

But generally speaking about SnGs and even tournaments it is correct to observe ur players and adjust ur own starting hand range according to the tells u get by observing others at ur table. In this case against a loose player to ur right it would be correct to tighten up ur range when u are in a late position and when ur stack becomes smaller (30BB and less, definately when u are under 15BB).

Pushing any2 first in depends a lot on the blind structure and how long it takes for the levels of the game to progress. But as a rule of thumb I personally push any2 from the SB into the BB with less than 5BB and call with any2 on the BB with less then 3BB. I will still consider my hands in any other positions mostly depending on who sits in the blinds and the tells I got by observing the table.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      push tighter into loose players, looser into tight players

get a feel for limp/call ranges villain uses. I know the kind of player you're talking about, and they do make the standard push/fold play hard. You have to adapt to these guys, shoulden't be too hard :)
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      if fish always just limp you should ignore him and play like first in ... imo
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I usually play like there was one more person between me and the BB and I was first in since the limping fish still gets to act but didn't really show any strenght..
    • thegrifter22
      thegrifter22
      Bronze
      I find that if you're riding card dead to look for a pushing hand once you're down to 10BB but still choose wisely. I'll often wait until im 6BB before pushing with a weaker hand. Weaker hands can sometimes be good in a position with a raise and reraise on board. Don't be afraid to pull the trigger with your 6-7 suited when holding less than 7BB

Hands I do try to avoid are Big-Small like weak Aces and Kings because often when you are called its by a pocket pair, a med-strong A or a strong K

So I'm more likely to play a hand like 8-9 rather than K-3
      I don't know if other people feel the same but this is what has worked for me
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hi Thegifter22,

I think you are kind of right that pushing hands like suited connectors into someone calling very tight holds way more promise than pushing a low ace. Great way to find out what the equity is exactly is using the pokerstrategy equilator which you can download here for free. Then you won't have to just guess that a hand like 6-7 suited is better than some other you will be able to always find the exact numbers..

Anyways, deciding what hands and when to push is what SNGs are all about IMO so every SNG player should download and start using the ICM trainer as soon as possible. That way you will become much more certain about the pushing ranges and can just fine tune your game by adapting to your opponents' play a little bit..

The best of luck to you all,

Lubor
    • clicks
      clicks
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone!

I think this is a good way to play it.

Originally posted by LuborC
      I usually play like there was one more person between me and the BB and I was first in since the limping fish still gets to act but didn't really show any strenght..