[NL2-NL10] KK in Big Blind position playing SSS on NL 0.05/0.10

• blueswimmer
      blueswimmer
      Bronze
      Hi All,

I will make sure I use a hand capture program from now on

Playing SSS, I have come unstuck a few times with KK when A comes down on the flop.

I had KK in SB position and with one limper raised five times the Big Blind to get 1 caller in mid position.

Flop Comes Down with an A and I am raised 0.75

I have 1.20 left in stack what should I do as I have KK however my hand is no longer top pair or over pair so should be mucked.

I think I have answered my own question however I pushed all in as I could not let go of my KK.

M2 had A7o with stack size of about $8

Got to stop getting emotional about it and stick to the strategy.
  • 6 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on the first post! :)

You basically already answered your own question.

You did good preflop to raise 4BB + 1BB per limper with your KK. On the flop you have trash hand since A came up(BTW remember that A and K are common holdings of players on low limits and when one of those is your overcard on the flop you can easily muck your hand) and you should fold it to a raise.

When you are first to act you have to make continuation bet also when you have trash, but without knowing potsize, your stack size and who acted first I cannot give you more information about that.

EDIT: Ah, as I reread your post I see your stack size was 1.20 on the flop and if you were SB then you had to act first on the flop, so, presuming pot was ~1-1.15$ you should push directly all-in on the flop as continuation bet.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hello blueswimmer!, I strongly recommend you using PokerStrategy Elephant, not only as a hand posting program, but also as an useful and great tool for improving your game. The possibilty to review your hands after you end a play session is awesome, looking how I play has been one of the key aspects of my game improval.
    • blueswimmer
      blueswimmer
      Bronze
      Thank you all for the feedback :)

I am rereading basic SSS articles and watching the videos for the first time and will now download the elephant program as well.

one part of the SSS strategy post flop regarding trash hands says that if you do not have top pair with at least J kicker do not invest any more into the hand.

In my example I had KK but as there was an A on the flop I had trash

However with the two exceptions for trash hands should I have either bet 2/3 of pot or All In depending on my stack size relative to the pot.

Analysing this and thinking about this, is it not dangerous to follow the exception rules for trash hands post flop if other players in low limits often call with AK or as I have seen in my limited experience A anything.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi blueswimmer, welcome to the Forum!

As they say in the articles, you should indeed make your continuation bet, even with a trash hand (only when you have 1 opponent and when you were pre-flop aggressor!). Though you will get called sometimes and actually lose to a top pair, very often your opponents will simply fold their hands, and if they call, you still have the chance of hitting trips, two pair or other higher made hands on the turn or river.

The continuation bet is pretty much a bluff. And it will work more often than not, so in the end you will make money! Do not get discouraged when you lose your stack in these situations, review your game and make sure you made your moves in the right situation. If you play as taught, your bankroll will grow.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Welcome blueswimmer,

However with the two exceptions for trash hands should I have either bet 2/3 of pot or All In depending on my stack size relative to the pot.
      When you have to invest 50% of your stack, go all-in instead, otherwise 2/3 Pot is fine :)

The rest is already explained by other players, if you got some more questions do not hesitate to reply and press the 'Advice the Judge to look again in this hand'

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • blueswimmer
      blueswimmer
      Bronze
      Once again thank you, I feel that my playing has come on leaps and bounds from following the strategies, however also the dawning realisation that I have a lot to learn.

I have picked up the point about being the aggressor pre flop and 2/3 of pot raise or all in if 50% or more of stack is required to raise

Cheers