$2.00
      MP3:
      $8.37
      CO:
      $6.55
      BU:
      $4.15

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:spade: , 4:heart:
      5 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.45) Q:diamond: , 2:heart: , 9:diamond: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, 2 folds, BU calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.05) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($1.05) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $1.05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of queens (Qs 4h)
      BU shows a pair of sevens (7d 4d)

Hero wins with a pair of queens (Qs 4h)

Question here is if I should have bet on the flop as I did. I had top pair but low kicker, and there was a possible flush draw (and indeed it seems opponent called for that reason, although I think pot odds technically didn't allow for a call, although it's on the edge?). Should I have checked instead?
  • 3 replies
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Yeah, I think you shoudn't have bet on the flop. The reason why top-pair is called a profitable hand in SSS chart is because your minimun kicker (when its not pocket pair ofc) is J+, and thats only in one hand (AJ), for the rest is Q+.

I personally play every freeplay as check-fold, unless i have 3 of a kind or better (I once lost a 3 of a kind, for the kicker yeah..) in which case I play check-call or raise if I want to protect my hand (could be wrong here hehe).
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello pokerplayboy,

Remove the results please, they are not important, never was, never is and never will be!

According to the basic strategy, you only continue with TopPair with a Jack as kicker or higher.
      Therefore I recommend just letting this one go and check/fold untill you spike a four or a Queen.

Why risking your stack for 1 big blind with a mediocre to a very bad hand?

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • pokerplayboy
      pokerplayboy
      Bronze
      Thanks, sorry bout the results will remove them next time. Will also be a good boy and check/fold weak top pair next time :-)