i have almost given up.......

• andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      I think i need to get away from poker for a while.

lately, i have been on a downswing. Bankroll went from $96ish down to now $47ish.
      Been playing what i thought was well.

Today, playing NL10. 3 tables at different times.
      Pockets 8's, turned a set on the flop, to be beaten by J's turning a set on the river.

A9 in the BB, 99J hits the flop, K on the turn, then an A, pushed all in on the flop, called by 2 people, only to have someone playing KK beat my 9's full.

And lastly, had TT, push hard pre-flop, called by 1 who didn't seem all that interested in playing. Flop KK5 rainbow. I go all-in, called by Q4o, 3 hits on the turn, then.....guess what, a f$#@ing Q.

I know that i make some mistakes sometimes, i am not the greatest player around, and there are some hands that i have been river beaten on, that i can understand why they would play them.

It's just the frustration level when today, time after time i kept getting sucked out from a great position.
      I know that "that is poker" and i accept it, otherwise i just wouldn't play.

I think i just maybe need to save up my money, deposit $200 into the account, just so i can get away from the micro levels!!!!!!

Thanks for listening, it just saves be bashing my head against the wall!!!
      Honestly, i thought that i was turning into Phil Hellmuth today with the carrying on!!!!!
  • 11 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Going above your BRM is not the answer lol You will still get bad beats with the difference that you will see better players now too.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Going above your BRM is not the answer lol You will still get bad beats with the difference that you will see better players now too.
      I second this.

I am a grand master of breaking bankroll management. And it is the biggest reason why Im playing micro limits at this point. Currently playing $3.40 SNGs, even though I have beat $11 SNGs previously in my career. (I have even beat $22 SNGs, but over a smaller sample.)
      Ill get back there as soon as I can, but at this point, my bankroll does not support it. You should think about that before you continue to play.

Another thing that can be devastating, is focusing to much on the beats and cold decks. I see to many people posting their bad beats, but when they win, and maybe should be proud of themselves and their play they never tell.

Use a tracking program. You can find leaks, and it will also tell you what game you are playing with displaying various stats for your tracked hands.

Its very helpful. :)

Again, dont think breaking BRM will get you anywhere, cause in most cases it will not.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Absolutly, i couldn't agree more myself. That's why i wanted to save up, deposit and move to a higher level!!!

Some of the beats i have had lately, have actually rattled me a bit, that i have moved to Limit, and 7 Card Stud. Taking a break from NL. Chipping away little by little at Limit. just need to get my belief back in myself that i do make the right decisions a bit of the time and i will got back to NL. But for the moment, Limit has lesser swings and i like that!!!!!!
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vargan
      Use a tracking program. You can find leaks, and it will also tell you what game you are playing with displaying various stats for your tracked hands.

Its very helpful. :)

Again, dont think breaking BRM will get you anywhere, cause in most cases it will not.
      I can't get poker elephant to work, otherwise i would still be using it. Not getting the normal server error, getting fatal errors now!!!! Sucks. Going to re-install everything on the computer soon anyway, so i will get it back up soon.

As for BRM, i know that i shouldn't break it. I have only really played above my limit a few times when i was playing NL20. From my stats though i am up $36 at 29B/100. Oh yeah, this is all playing SSS too, just incase you thought i was going to the table with full stacks. I have faith in SSS, i have proven it does work, i am just seeing its evil sister at the moment!!!! It's all good, i'll fight back.

thanks guys, appriciate the posts.

andrew
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Hi Andrew, just wanna emphasize again how important brm is (as if I need to do that :) ).
      If you play above your limit, that's a sign of tilt!! And playing for more money while tilting is bad!!

Best thing is to take a little while off indeed. It can bring your head together more than you think. Just don't play at all for a few days or whatever time you think is necessary. And start playing again, not because you feel you need to, but because you really want to.

One thing you might consider is recording the session when you start to play again (Camtasia), and post the video in the forums to be analysed. Comment the vid as well.

I can say this because I've been there, done that.

And I know that you know this, but you REALLY need to put it in practise too!
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      and dont forget: if you are playing SSS, you must do well and overcome swings in NL10 before going to NL25 (except fulltilt and his double rake on NL10)
      Bronze
      Hello Andrewkd,

I have heard the argument before a few times about wether or not one should deposit more
      money into their account and get out of the micro limits of poker because the fish are so bad
      at the low linmits that it is harder to play.

This is infact incorrect. It sucks that you are having a bad time right now, and in the short term,
      It can seem enraging that these retards are playing these kind of cards and sucking out. But as
      another poster has suggested, tracking software can really help you out in seeing how in the
      long run, most of the money you make in this game is from weaker players playing bad cards
      in a bad way.

I play SNGS not cash games but I had your frustration, I was convinced that my good cards were
      getting sucked out on by retards and that their bad level of play was paying off... But then one
      day playing around with poker tracker 3, I found a section that shows me how much I have won
      or lost with each starting hand.

The good cards paid off alot and the bad cards lost a little. Infact complete rags and weak hands
      most often have lost in total nothing more then all the blinds they were dealt to me in and
      I was forced to fold.

Anyhow long story short you want to stay at the limit you are at and you want these guys
      playing worse cards and being behind you because although they may win 10 times in a row
      on you by sucking out, over a hundred situations... you will be paid off ten fold.

So stick to your game and be happy they are playing poorly!!!

Also I think the whole BR management thing came up when you said you wanted to deposit
      more money and start playing higher limits...... Though this would not be breaking BRM,
      because you are depositing more, It would not be a good idea as was allready posted.

The skill level is higher, and you should be able to beat the limit you are on before moving up.
    • AndySk
      AndySk
      Bronze
      my advice to u

for example if u hold like K9

flop A 99 opponent pushes u call he shows AK

turn A
      river 2

Say urself if u were in his situation what would u do? This offten helps me that. If I say myself I would do the same thing on his place I take it like a beat by the virtual dealer.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Hye,

Thanks all for the feedback. Appriciated. Support is good!!!

@AndySk, absoultely, i do look at the other side as well with a lot of hands that i get suckout out on. I can't critise someone for calling a short stack all in for 15BB on the flop, when they hold 2 pair, or drawing to a straight or the nut flush. When the board is paired though, a short stack based on the SSS wouldn't push at an 'unmade hand', so conversly to that, you would have to sit back and question if you could call top pair against a set. Especially if like in what happened to me, you make a set from an un-raised pot in the big blind. Maybe i am wrong, i just think to call in that situation would be a tough call.

@8979687, thanks, it was a good read. Yeah, i think the BRM questioning came in when i talked about increasing my balance and playing higher levels. I just want to clarrify that for everyone, i wanted to drop in $200 and start playing $0.10c/$0.20. I did break the bankroll for a few sessions, i know it was wrong, but like i said i was up like 29BB/100 and found the .10/.20 pretty soft. I know it was wrong and i moved back down, and thats when it all started falling apart!!! You get swings, i know that. This is just a downer. It just seemed the suckouts were way to often, but like i say and have said and will always say "that's poker, if i couldn't afford it, i wouldn't play"

@Jaime001254, couldn't agree more, just seems NL10 is pretty wild!!!

@KaOs, thanks. I will check out the session recording. And yeah practice is a needed thing too. All i can say is thanks to PS for giving me the money to be able to learn what i have so far!!!

Once again, thanks guys for writing back, really appriciated.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andrewkd

@KaOs, thanks. I will check out the session recording. And yeah practice is a needed thing too. All i can say is thanks to PS for giving me the money to be able to learn what i have so far!!!

o o miscommunication :D . I meant to say it's not only enough to know it, but you have to do it as well. But of course practising is important too :D .
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      SSS is back in town!!!!!

Not getting ahead of myself, but i cashed in at a NL10 table with $2, even though it wasn't 25BB and leave, i left at $2.49.

I waited, in the Big Blind, got A7s to an unraised pot so i got the freeroll.
      A75 hit the flop, so i pushed for 4x BB, got a caller.
      7 hit the turn giving me 7's full. Checked, they checked.
      5 on the river, so i pushed in, and they folded.

The check on the turn may not have been the best move, see as the river paired the board again, hell, playing that hand may not have been the best move either, but i figured top 2 pair on the flop and the full house on the turn was good enough from a free look, but i bet hard, and won the pot.

I am not thinking that this is the ticket to the turn around, but i am happy to know that i didn't get screwed on the river!!!!!