Average Preflop Ranges in FL Poker

• KHS0003
      KHS0003
      Basic
      Hey guys,

Right now I would like to learn how to range read in FL poker. I want to say it's easier since where I play poker, there are a bunch of calling stations only raising when they have quality hands (at least what they believe are quality). I would like a systematic approach to doing this. To anyone who is experienced in playing small stakes FL poker, what is the average pre-flop range for a calling station? (and also nits, maniacs, etc.) I know that post-flop is just observations and I can do that on my own for the most part and narrow hands using the funneling principle.

Regarding the funneling principle, does this tactic only work in NL or can it work in all hold'em poker types?

Thanks for anyone who answers and comments.
  • 3 replies
    • Sailer85
      Sailer85
      Bronze
      I have no idea what the funneling principle is, so i could not give you an answer...

I cannot give you specific hand ranges as all nits/calling stations/maniaks play different. You can always check the Fixed LImit articles for the TAG-strategy, although I believe it to be to tight to if you want to win at small/mid stakes.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KHS0003
      Regarding the funneling principle, does this tactic only work in NL or can it work in all hold'em poker types?
      It works in all forms of poker. But make no mistake, it is not easy in FL, especially not when up against calling stations or maniacs. Ranges are then much wider (harder to read) than in NL. Your range will be pretty wide too, so it's often trash vs trash. Best tactics is not to think very much about what they might be holding, particularly not in multi-way pots. Since they are calling stations and maniacs, figuring out their range on later streets is hard because they don't play rationally. Make few hero calls versus passive players when they wake up and make few big laydowns versus maniacs. That's about it. Then learn this from experience, not study, because it can't be "taught" - again since these games aren't rational.
    • KHS0003
      KHS0003
      Basic
      Yohan,

Thanks for replying. It makes sense that I cannot narrow down a player's holding if they do the exact same thing every time. However, say a TAG all of a sudden becomes passive and you gather they are straightforward, and you have a weak made hand such as a middle pair, would this be an opportunity to bet or raise? Conversely if a Tight-Passive player becomes aggressive, that's something to take note and could affect my default strategy that I learned from the Basic strategy on this site. I just want to understand the game and make sure I'm on the right track in learning to be a better FL player.

Again, thanks for any comments and advice.