[NL2-NL10] NL10: J9o freeplay with OESD

• stefu
      stefu
      Bronze
      Got a freeplay and hit middlepair with an OESD.

So I got 8 outs for the OESD and 2 for the trip 9s, I think. The 3 for my J overcard are not that real I think, because he also could have 2 pair or overpair. For the OESD I also think that I should discount 1 out. So at the end I got 7+2=9 outs?
      These coresponds to odds of 1:4 which is less than the pot odds, so I folded after flop.
      Well I think this was an easy fold, but can someone go over my outs-counting to check whether I did it ok?
      Also I did not know what to do with the implied pot odds, are there any?

thx, stefu

Known players:
      Position
      UTG1

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , 9:heart:
      UTG folds, UTG1 calls $0.10, 7 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) 9:spade: , 8:club: , T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 bets $0.20, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $0.45
  • 6 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      If we go really tight then I would give you 8 clean outs, you take 6 outs for your OESD, because you have to discount Q :spade: and 7 :spade: for possible FD and you can discount J's for 2 pair not really being an out on such a board.

However, it's important that you have a pair(sometimes the best hand on this flop) and prolly even more than 8 outs as mentioned, so I would check/raise flop and go broke against that villain.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Yeah, that's really tight. But with OESD + pair I'd play monster draw in my NL10 at least. Not even check raise, I would raise flop directly and go broke upon meeting resistance.

EDIT: On a second thought, I must agree with the others and discount at least 3 outs for the J's which leaves you with 10 outs. Which is not really a monster draw, and could be played more passively as suggested.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Stefu,

I like check/call or check/raise but I am not in favour of seeing 10 outs as a monster HU against a UTG+1 limper without history

I go for a check/call and evaluate the Turn because im Dutch and Dutch people like to see/buy things as cheap as possible :D

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • stefu
      stefu
      Bronze
      ok, so there is no way I could have folded this (as I did ^^)?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stefu
      ok, so there is no way I could have folded this (as I did ^^)?
      You can fold, that's okay but I think you have the best hand here concerning the draw :)
    • stefu
      stefu
      Bronze
      hm ok, thx!