Begginer Doubts

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hi, I m just starting to play MTT tourneys, (I'm gold bcuz of cash tables, so Im like bronze in MTT :P ).

Ok, first of all, the format I most enjoy playing is a big torunament with lot of players(5k ppl or more), I don't actually care much about the lenght of it, because I'm used to play long tournaments (I used to play another game of cards b4 poker)

The articles here about SnG work the same way in MTT? I've followed all the charts from SnG when playing MTT, and well I don't complain of my finishes since I usually make some profit, but I'm never close to a final table. However, I ALWAYS reach the 3rd stage of the tournament, that is having less than 13 BB. The problem I've found is than when I'm on that stage (never close to the final table) I push accordingly to the push or fold chart, but I get called a lot with weaker hands from big stack players, I usually double yeah, but in short time I'm again down to <13BB and the situation repeats. Eventually, the player with the weaker hand suckout, or I face a better hand than mine (like when I push with middle-pocket pairs in early positions due to having short stack), and with such a small stack one bad beat and I'm out of the tournament.

I wonder if I should play a bit more loose on the early stage of the tournament, for example calling suited connectors, or how should I play when playing in big tournaments?

- What about TURBO tournaments?, I'm guessing I should play way more loose here? what do u think of turbos?

- And last, what is the amount of players you find most profitable following PS strategy? Probably it isnt that good when there are so many ppl..
  • 5 replies
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Fellow Magic player, I see :)

On the first 2 blind levels, you should try to play all potential hands, because if you hit, you may very well double up with them, after that, you have to tighten up, because you don't have the stack depth anymore to play speculative hands.

On turbo tournaments, play levels the same way as you would in normal tournament, the only difference is that levels are faster so you will enter the push-fold phase earlier. You can also call all-ins bit looser in the beginning, because there are often people who don't really understand how turbos are played, so they overplay their mediocre hands because they think they don't have the time.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      hehe yeah I quitted magic about 6 months ago.

Thx, I'll try what you say in my next tourney :)
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I only play speculative hands in mid-late position with limpers in front - if you open limp them from EP you will get raised behind too often and have to fold.

I like playing rebuy tourneys on low limits - those idiots often shove everything they get then rebuy when they are knocked out. Last week a player to my right busted out and rebought 18 times in the first hour. This scares some decent players and you get sucked out occasionally, but the amount of bad plays in rebuys is higher than any other form of poker. And the more mistakes your opponenets make, the more profitable the situation is for you.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Volrath89,

There is really no "right" MTT strategy as lots of players have very different approaches to playing these.

Some are very loose early and try to get a big stack so that they can boss people around at higher blinds and to abuse the bubble - while others are very tight early and get very very aggressive in the late phase.

Either way - MTTs - especially in the late phase are often decided by using your stack size to aggressively bully around other players. Stealing / Re-stealing etc become increasingly important.

Check out the MTT area in the forum: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1499

and perhaps some videos such as this one by Nazgul - we hope to have some more in the future
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/2385

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      its a shame pokerstrategy dont have many good MTT guides but MTT are all about changing gears through out the tourney , become a good STT player and the final table will be the easiest part of the MTT

as SovCD said there is no right way to play MTT but starting with huge MTT with no chance of winning them is not worth it , they are all crapshoots untill you build a huge stack

play smaller ones 30-300 and they are very winable and you can easy build a bankroll from they & playing MTT with added value , even experiance players cant win those big tourneys without a lot of luck & know myself dont play many above 1500 players but know I can win these sometimes

not sure what poker sites you use but the games on ipoker (Titan) are good for MTT and not so big as the games on Stars/Tilt and well worth checking them out