$2.40 SNG doom

• rowzee
      Disclaimer: I realise that there are people out there playing far higher stakes whose sample sizes are much bigger and who are still losing due to variance. However, I've created this thread just because I feel like laying out my recent experiences to hopefully relieve any internal stress produced by them.

I've been playing regular SNG's on Titan for a while now. I move up the limits once i have 60BI of the next limit. Recently I hit the 60BI mark to move up from $1.20 to $2.40 SNG's. I had played 300 of the $1.20 SNG's and it felt like a chore in the beginning, I wasn't doing that well and breaking-even after ~70 games, in the end though I acquired a ROI of 16% over the sample of 300 games.

$2.40 SNG's hurt me bad. I wasn't doing well since the very start and I realised that I would have to make a choice at which point to go back to $1.20 SNG's if I ever fell that low. I chose this point to be 40BI of the current level (i.e., move down once lost 20BI of the current level), which happened over an incredible sample of 52 games:

Some stats of the $2.40 SNG era:
      ROI -45%
      Cashed in 19%
      Longest streak of not cashing in - 16 SNG's
      Also, in the last 26 games I've cashed in just once.

A sample of push-fold lost hands in the last 26 games:
      Lost when ahead:

Also, lost 7/7 coinflips, as for the rest, mostly faced (and lost unlike my opponents) 30:70 or dominance after pushing ICM hands.

So, now I have ~80 BI of $1.20 SNG's, i hope they don't burn me out too soon.
  • 4 replies
    • viewer88

that's a pretty steep fall there. Don't worry too much about short-term variance and keep working on your game, the money will come eventualy :)
    • LuborC
      Looks pretty rough! As Viewer88 said just keep working on your game and don't worry about the current results too much. The first downswing is always painful but if you follow BRM (and not following BRM doesn't seem to be your problem) you will come out of it stronger if you just continue learning..

Wish you the best of luck. Soon.
    • AquamanBT
      Recently I had a similar situation when switched from $3 to $5 tourneys. I went down again to regain confidence and BR. Right now I'm back to where I was before the 20 bi drop. About to climb up again. What I've noticed is that players have a different approach (not necessarily better, but tighter) so looking to adjust my game accordingly.
    • rowzee
      Lol, that picture really cheered me up :D I think I'm going to take a week or so off poker and focus on my studies, also hope to soon get my new RAM for my laptop so that I could run ICM Trainer without freezing. Thank you all for your input!