Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $9.09
      Hero:
      $2.00

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , 6:spade:
      5 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.20) J:club: , 4:heart: , Q:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB folds.

Final Pot: $0.40

Ok ok, I know according to the articles I shouldn't have bet. But villain opencompletes and checks on the flop, and is reasonably tight. Betsize should make it too expensive for him to continue unless he has like 12+ outs which is unlikely. Have I been a bad boy?
  • 7 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Nice hand.

When SB opencompletes and checks to you on the flop, it is huge sign of weakness and you can try to steal the pot by betting potsize even if you have complete trash, but in your hand you don't have complete trash, instead you have middle pair, which is quite strong hand in SB vs BB.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Against SB open-completer you can also raise pre-flop with trash.
      I usually prefer checking pre-flop and betting pot-size on flop, that is if he checked to me on flop. Because on flop I have to bet only 2BB to make him fold, pre-flop I'd have to raise to 5BB.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dandycal
      Against SB open-completer you can also raise pre-flop with trash.
      I usually prefer checking pre-flop and betting pot-size on flop, that is if he checked to me on flop. Because on flop I have to bet only 2BB to make him fold, pre-flop I'd have to raise to 5BB.
      4BB are enough preflop imo.
    • pokerplayboy
      pokerplayboy
      Bronze
      Great thanks.

I think I prefer to be on the cautious side as well and check pre-flop, especially since I hadn't played that much against him yet.

Should he have called the bet, I play check/fold correct? Unless I hit something bigger of course.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pokerplayboy
      Great thanks.

I think I prefer to be on the cautious side as well and check pre-flop, especially since I hadn't played that much against him yet.

Should he have called the bet, I play check/fold correct? Unless I hit something bigger of course.
      Yes, if you don't win the pot directly, you only continue with hands like TPTK or better, like in freeplay.
    • pokerplayboy
      pokerplayboy
      Bronze
      Cool thanks
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi PokerPlayboy,

I would check this one because J:c6 isn't really playable with TPNK etc. I prefer raising opencompleters with stats before I do that therefore I recommend you to just raise Suited connectors, PPs, broadway offsuiters and one-gap broadways (QT , KJ)

This hand is well played :)

Best regards,
      Gerv