Last three months of losing Poker @ Stars

• bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      By the end of last year, I have been comfortably beating NL10 at PS. I moved up to NL25, lost a big bunch, moved back to NL10 and was barely able to hang on to my bankroll.
      I am grateful for any input, advice, or slap on my head, whatever helps

Now looking back to the last 3 months, I feel bad about my game, the graph looks horrible. and I am getting quite confused about what approach I should take to stabilize and get back on track.

I am only barely alive by virtue of a couple of cashes is MTTs and freerolls. Even there I stand in my own way, preventing myself from a bigger cash by lack of patience.

See the graph below. It includes NL10 and NL25 at Pokerstars. iPoker looks slighty better.
      The blue line is really scary and it quite represents my state of mind. Apparently I am not getting to SD with my good hands often enough, and on the other hand I call down rivers when I am beat.

Calling rivers when draws have gotten home, when board pairs and opponent has filled up appears to become standard. This is mental for sure. I guess I have to find a mechanism to break this pattern.

I think I have spent already too much time looking at my stats myself. I include them below, maybe you see something BIG which I do not. My perception is that it is more than just stats. It feels, like I get myself into weird spots all the time.

• 14 replies
    • 1AverageJoe1
      1AverageJoe1
      Bronze
      I think you need to go back over poker fundamentals again, move down the limits and retrain yourself. This happened to me a while back (granted not on the scale it has happened to you), I had to move back down from NL10 to NL2 and re-learn everything, it is quicker to do though as you have already learned it all once. The reason for my downfall was I got cocky and assumed I didn't need to study as much as I did before (clearly I was wrong), furthermore, because I was a winning player I assumed small mistakes and bad habits did not apply to me as I had already attained success at the level. It takes lots of pride however to do this and for the first few sessions you will be wishing to play higher stakes and thinking that you are way above your competition. Yet, you will feel lots better when you look at a month's graph at NL2 and see a nice healthy EV and net won line. After doing this I'm shot taking at NL10 again now and feel really confident about my game, much more than before and I still study just as hard as I did at NL2 and NL5. Like you say, it is about retraining your brain and programming it to form good habits. Good luck and hope this helps.
    • theuranus1999
      theuranus1999
      Bronze
      There must be winners and losers.
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      th
      Originally posted by 1AverageJoe1
      I think you need to go back over poker fundamentals again, move down the limits and retrain yourself. This happened to me a while back (granted not on the scale it has happened to you), I had to move back down from NL10 to NL2 and re-learn everything, it is quicker to do though as you have already learned it all once. The reason for my downfall was I got cocky and assumed I didn't need to study as much as I did before (clearly I was wrong), furthermore, because I was a winning player I assumed small mistakes and bad habits did not apply to me as I had already attained success at the level. It takes lots of pride however to do this and for the first few sessions you will be wishing to play higher stakes and thinking that you are way above your competition. Yet, you will feel lots better when you look at a month's graph at NL2 and see a nice healthy EV and net won line. After doing this I'm shot taking at NL10 again now and feel really confident about my game, much more than before and I still study just as hard as I did at NL2 and NL5. Like you say, it is about retraining your brain and programming it to form good habits. Good luck and hope this helps.
      thanks joe
    • Post removed

• Mandator
      Mandator
      Silver
      Start checking your game at Button. You should be winning around 30-35 bb/100 at least and is only 5.5bb/100 which is nothing. Also check your game on the blinds, SB should be around -15bb/100 and BB around -30bb/100
    • Zeldyman
      Zeldyman
      Gold
      Isn't that fold to 3 bet too big? ;)
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Switch to MTTs = easy money.
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      thanks guys.
      right now I am trying to rebuild my confidence at NL5. So far so good. will keep u posted in my blog
    • Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      Do you table select? I feel this is the biggest factor for winning at poker. If your at a table full of reg's similar to you then the money will just get passed around the table. Chase tables that have big fat fish and seat carefully if you can.
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      l actually do!
    • Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      I don't although I should, I play mainly play STT's/ MTT's but I think table selection is the single most important factor for your win rate. Good on you, let the $$$ roll in
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      I get this as well.
      As you progress you're losses will become less and less.And the chance off you loosing all the bankrollatest will be decreased.
      Study is one key.
      I think most importantly is you're own personal frame of mind..
      everybody knows how to play poker but not everybody knows how too win.

This post might be just as confusing as poker is.
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Basic
      Originally posted by htghguuh
      I get this as well.
      As you progress you're losses will become less and less.And the chance off you loosing all the bankrollatest will be decreased.
      Study is one key.
      I think most importantly is you're own personal frame of mind..
      everybody knows how to play poker but not everybody knows how too win.

This post might be just as confusing as poker is.
      A bit but still understandable.
    • Post removed