A Professional Amateur Becoming An Amateur Professional

• MJPerry

Subtitle: another deluded idiot who thinks poker can be a viable income even in 2016.

In the words of Shakespeare: brevity, wit, etc. The long and short of this blog is to document my progress as I break through NL50 into NL100 (and beyond?) to 1) improve my Hold’em game and 2) earn a decent hourly rate playing online.

Cliff Notes: My Poker History

I used to post here a ton, and before that work here. It’s been a good old while since I kept a regular blog here, though. In that time I’ve been playing on-and-off.

Get involved in poker, start playing here and there online, lose.

Join some forums, work out how to win, mass multi-table NL25 through NL100 full ring then 6-max clearing as many deposit/reload bonuses as possible.

Start getting paid more to write about poker then I make playing it, especially as I spend less time studying and more time getting high.

Casually play on the side, probably barely breaking even or slightly losing over this period only thanks to a couple of decent tournament binks, while living in Gibraltar (then London) working for PokerStrategy.com.

Less-casually play on the side, running up a €200 deposit to roughly €2,000 over the course of a year while living in Dublin and working for Full Tilt. Bink 3/501 in a BoyleSports €120 event for €4,500 and 23/1,498 in IPO Dublin for $2,400 on the way.

Much-less-casually play on the side, beating NL20 Speed and aiming to break into NL50 with the help of a 60% rakeback deal while living in Dublin and working as a self-employed copywriter/editor/SEO person.

Current Progress And Goals

I’m currently playing mainly NL20 Speed games on iPoker and have recently started to play some NL50 regular tables as well. My cash game graph is this somewhat sexy little number:

Ideally, I’d like to be rolled for (if not playing and beating) NL100 online and €1/€2 live. I’ll be looking to play 30,000+ hands online and 4+ low stakes live tournaments per month.

Be warned there's like a 75% chance I forget this blog exists and never update it.
  • 7 replies
    • Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Subbed :f_drink:
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Well, well, well, look who's back.

Now I'm gonna have to revive my blog.

Nice looking graph, btw...

Best of luck,
    • metalmonkey80
      Hi MJ,

Look forward to reading future updates. Esp looking forward to some good witty writing :f_drink:
      Best of luck.

• SvenBe
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Well, well, well, look who's back.

WB, too*!

* and rejoin our free and totally awesome BR challenge to make sure that you are really a successful poker player!
    • Victormm
      Subbed! GL!
    • MJPerry

July Review

July was decent, but it got pretty meh towards the end. Fortunately I'm due about 1600BB more in rakeback so it's a much nicer graph than it looks.

It's basically all NL20 Speed.

Volume-wise, it would have been nicer to play more of course. For my first month of playing somewhat-fuller-time, though, it's not too shabby.

Coral have started a pretty awesome monthly reload bonus where you get a £1k bonus applied to your account for logging in in the first few days of the month, so that's great motivation to get the grind on!

August Goals

I'd like to play 30,000+ hands in August, but I don't have a lot of free weekend time so that's going to be super-tough. Hopefully I can clear a good 60% of the reload bonus, though. My current bankroll is around €1,100 which is close to the shot-at-NL50 mark so I'd like to have that in my sights this month.
    • 4s4s4s
      Great job. Keep going