Dealing with your "emotions"

• Fl00ter
      Fl00ter
      Basic
      Hey guys,

(no idea why my Acc is still shown as "Basic", maby because there is no sync for playing on FT, but whatever)

After working myself into the matter and experimenting around i started playing 15USD SnGs as i figured out they are somehwat profitable (A lot of early, fishy action boosting your equity). And yep indeed they are! I had some succes and made like 250 bucks in a few days. I tried reinvesting and lost it all, but that's not the topic. My problem is, that I realized mostly when i am loosing it is not because of bad luck, i just play... well emotionally. Somehow i do things i know i shouldn't do: Bluffing against fishes (I have seen people calling me till the river on a T8A2Q board with something like 66), or just getting impatient and making to many plays.

Before trying again i need your help: How can i get rid of my emotional play, to not start gambling and loose money from time to time, just focusing on mathematical and precise play?!

Many thanks for any answer in advance :)

Floot3r
  • 20 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Hello Fl00ter

Welcome on the PokerStrategy forum :welcome:

Do you made your FTP account with following these instructions?
      If that’s the case you can always send a ticket to our customer service and they can help you further.

Maybe the thread The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Your Poker and Life Productivity can hl you with dealing your emotions.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • 4s4s4s
      4s4s4s
      Bronze
      Read a book by Jared Tandler "Mental game of poker" it's very helpful book and you will improve a lot after reading that
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      Every time you feel that your emotions are making the decisions for you, you should take a break.
      Watch/ stream something or read a book or just analyzer the hands you played.
      When you get your emotion in control, you can then start playing again.
      here's a youtube video that may help you control tilt
    • Vanja68
      Vanja68
      Silver
      I have that problem too. Its stronger than me while Im playing. Especially when Im loosing money then I become more quicker and not thinking so much about my playing and I lose much more money because of that. If someone have a good advice Ill try it.
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      usually , when that happens to me, I just stop playing and only comeback when i get my emotions in order.. (takes about 15mins~1hour, depends on how bad the beating was)
    • molderz
      molderz
      Bronze
      The problem is when You play many MTT's, You cant just leave. in cash games yes, press alt-f4 few times and things is done..
    • luckydont
      luckydont
      Gold
      Reading a book about "what causes me to tilt" is not enough. You need to rewire your brain to act differently. And for this you need practice.
      Practicing the tilt issues means:

1) Noticing when and how it happens. (triggers)
      2) create the correct thinking for each particular situation
      3) exercise by noticing or predicting triggers, and think correctly

for example:

1) I shout out loud "F@#$@r, why I loose again. it's unfair!" when I lose a coin flip. Heartbeat increases. unhappiness grows from inside.
      2) Correct thinking: "Coin flips are part of the game, in the long run I win equal amounts of coin flips.
      It actually is quite fair. And this is what attracts our lovely fishes to the game! "
      3) Each time I am All IN, even before showdown I already start thinking in this correct way. Can even say it out loud.

repetition is the key.
    • samni
      samni
      Coach
      Coach
      Basically, using a decent BRM can also help. If you call "making 250usd on 15$ sng's" a success, you're not understanding a couple fundamental aspects of the game. This will make you lose money in the long run, and when you lose in the long run, ofcourse it affects you mentally.

On a more ontopic note, I think I can say I'm pretty tilt-free. The only moments I might "feel" tilted is when a deeprun ends in a big disapointment. Starting a final table 1/9 with 4k up top and finishing 9th after losing a 100bb pot with AA vs QQ for 200$ for example might trigger a little emotional reaction. I'm not going to smash my keyboard around or whatever but I don't think you can just go 'meh' and continue when something like that happens.

I tend to believe most players having big emotional and tilt issues are players who play the lower stakes. I think players who have won a decent chunk of money and understand what the game is about will be able to put losing money into a good perspective. To the players who tilt on the micro's, I can only say: think about the amount of money you're tilting about. I used to tilt every once in a while when I was playing microstakes. I usually had a 50 cent coin in front of me and every once in a while, when I felt tilted, I looked at that coin and thought, yeah thats not worth it. Ofcourse this doesn't work when you play midstakes tournaments as a 200€ note can even induce tilt imo :p
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      Originally posted by samni I think players who have won a decent chunk of money and understand what the game is about will be able to put losing money into a good perspective
      I agree with this line... its just really hard to do sometimes..
    • gelevr
      gelevr
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

after playing a few MicroMillions Marathons today I seem to have found the right thread.
      If you have, let's say a "new approach" for any kind of tilt issues and you would like to check how well you are doing, go to PokerStars and play MicroMillions. Always a great training opportunity.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      If you really want to test out your tilt levels, play Razz. It could be the most frustrating game in the history of the universe. :spit:
    • gelevr
      gelevr
      Bronze
      Yes, I can agree with that. I played a lot of Razz, mostly while playing Horse. Whenever the limits came across Razz I was like already tilting, like "okay then...here we go again...". ; )
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      Maybe i should try Razz for a game or two, i was interested about it before, but i kinda stuck to nlhe and plo so much that i forgot about that .
    • luckinsearch
      luckinsearch
      Gold
      Play StarCraft 2 and get to grandmaster on EU server. You'll be a rational decision maker once you reach that level.
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luckinsearch
      Play StarCraft 2 and get to grandmaster on EU server. You'll be a rational decision maker once you reach that level.
      nah, I'm busy with StarDew valley steam :f_biggrin: :f_drink:
    • arttuzulu
      arttuzulu
      Bronze
      Happens with me also when i play long time in a row.. I think brains get tired or something. It cant be coincidence.
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arttuzulu
      Happens with me also when i play long time in a row.. I think brains get tired or something. It cant be coincidence.
      one of the main cause of tilt... knowing when to stop is always +EV :f_thumbsup:
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      How to win at poker 101:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
      Through passion, I gain strength.
      Through strength, I gain power.
      Through power, I gain victory.
      Through victory, my chains are broken.
      The Force shall free me.
    • Zeecube
      Zeecube
      Basic
      I tend to go just play Piano music to calm myself down when I tilt. It's pretty hard for me to step away from the tables when I tilt. Lucky I only play Micro stakes lol