alternatives

• mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      hello
      a question from a beginner sss player...
      I am on NL 0,5/0,10 $ atm and I can't complain about my winnings but still, I would like to ask for support
      I usually play 6-8 tables (sometimes a maximum of 10), main reason for not playing more would be the laptop screen doesn't really allow me more space on the desktop :P

ok enough with the small talk.....my problem is: I'd like to play let's say a maximum of 6 tables at once, but buy out when I reach my target profit (at least 1/4 of my buy in) only from 5 tables and keep the remaining table until I reach a higher profit (let's target it at 4 times the BI)
      here are a few thoughts:
      - at my current level of experience I would say concentrating a bit more in one table like along with playing 5 normal tables is possible for sure
      - at the 'special' table I will of course play safer while accumulating profit

I know this is not even close to the ss strategy, but you must understand I couldn't get this "plan" out of my head since last week

I'm not sure I'm gonna try it, but if somebody did this or has any suggestions or advices, please let me know.
  • 14 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Let me tell you one thing.
      Dont try this.
      If you are tired of the robotic SSS , just start playing fullstacked, if your bankroll allows it.
      There is nothing prettier at the table than a midstack. They have those "come take my money" signs on them.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkonebg
      Dont try this.
      If you are tired of the robotic SSS , just start playing fullstacked, if your bankroll allows it.
      There is nothing prettier at the table than a midstack. They have those "come take my money" signs on them.
      True. You're gonna have a very weird stacksize you can't play with.
      For example: NL$0.05/0.1, Your stack: $4.50
      You call a raise in position. Everybody else folds. Pot = 0.4 + 0.4 + 0.05 + 0.1 = $0.95
      Original raiser cbets flop $0.8 -> pot = $1.75
      You want to raise. Normally you would raise to something like $2.40 or so. But you only have $4.10 left. So you can't really raise, you'll have to go all-in overbetting the pot big.
      You'll lose a lot of money this way!
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Dont try this.
      I play a very successful 50BB buy-in rule...no one takes my money unless they bad beat me....
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ka0s
      True. You're gonna have a very weird stacksize you can't play with.
      For example: NL$0.05/0.1, Your stack: $4.50
      You call a raise in position. Everybody else folds. Pot = 0.4 + 0.4 + 0.05 + 0.1 = $0.95
      Original raiser cbets flop $0.8 -> pot = $1.75
      You want to raise. Normally you would raise to something like $2.40 or so. But you only have $4.10 left. So you can't really raise, you'll have to go all-in overbetting the pot big.
      You'll lose a lot of money this way!
      I have a question. What do you do in a MTT or SNG with a 45BB stack if you can't play with it? A midstack is something common in a tourney. I'm not a tourney player but I don't think you can't play with that stack.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by jonnyjm
      Dont try this.
      I play a very successful 50BB buy-in rule...no one takes my money unless they bad beat me....
      I am happy for you. In theory you can play it profitably, but you have to adjust raising ranges.You dont have enough implieds to justify any call with pps and scs, and you are usually commited to any top pair kind of hand postflop.
      But why go through all the trouble?Playing midstacked has all the disadvantages of SSS and is like playing BSS with one hand tied behind your back.
      Originally posted by adr0001

I have a question. What do you do in a MTT or SNG with a 45BB stack if you can't play with it? A midstack is something common in a tourney. I'm not a tourney player but I don't think you can't play with that stack.
      Please dont mix tournament and cash play.It is a whole different thing, and has totally different goals.In tournaments you are forced to play with a certain stack size, and you have to adapt as your stack grows/diminishes, just because you dont have other options. In cash games you play with the knowedge that you have an edge over the rest of the players, and you should aim to maximise that edge by bying in fullstacked.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      well....ka0s and darkonebg actually gave me the answers I already had but I was somehow blindfolded and didn't consider them 'till now.
      I played some bball tonight and......in combo with your answers it cleared my head so I'll just start another session
      nothing prettier at the table than a midstack
      true true ^^
      I always consider those players like caught between sss & bss and they always pay...... :heart: :heart: :D

45 BB in a mtt should be a nice stack imho, but still I'm guessing it also depends of the tournament phase and blind amount (45 bb at the start of a tourney or in a speed/turbo should be different than 45 bb in the bubble, right?)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      reasonable-sounding 50BB strategy:

http://poker-strategy.flopturnriver.com/Half-Stack-Buy-In-Strategy.php
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      and you are usually commited to any top pair kind of hand postflop.
      But why go through all the trouble?Playing midstacked has all the disadvantages of SSS and is like playing BSS with one hand tied behind your back.
      If you are usually commited to any top pair (I don't know if this is true, I don't play midstacked and I don't play tournaments) then playing midstacked can't have all the disadvantages of SSS since a very important advantage of SSS is that you can easily commit your stack with top pair.

Please dont mix tournament and cash play.It is a whole different thing, and has totally different goals
      I was trying to say that all kind of stack sizes can be played profitably if you make the proper adjustments. Maybe just the very low ones can't be played profitably because of the rake.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      "The way you win at chicken is to throw the steering wheel out the window in full view of your opponent" - David Skylansky =)
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adr0001

Please dont mix tournament and cash play.It is a whole different thing, and has totally different goals
      I was trying to say that all kind of stack sizes can be played profitably if you make the proper adjustments. Maybe just the very low ones can't be played profitably because of the rake.
      Okay, Let me change the sentence 'You'll lose a lot this way' into "I would lose a lot this way".
      I'm not trying to say it's not possible. But you're gonna have a hard time I think. Maybe you could play it profitably with the right adjustments, but I think those right adjustments will have to be a whole different strategy. I couldn't do it.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      It can be played profitable, BUT , I think that if you adjust to your oponents to make it work you'll have most profit playing with a full stack.

tournament play and cash games are very different and shouldn't be mixed imo. a 50bb stack on a tourney can mean a comfortable chiplead depending which stage.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      I'm having good results with 50BB buy in at NL10..............

Everybody else either buys in with 10 or 20BB, or 100BB

50BB confuses the hell out of most of them.

Pot odds etc as far as stack size goes is for the most part bollocks........unless you are playing with your last buy in. Most money is made from the All-in SSS gang
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by andyb43
      Pot odds etc as far as stack size goes is for the most part bollocks........unless you are playing with your last buy in. Most money is made from the All-in SSS gang
      Err I think you need to read the articles about pot odds and implied odds.
      And this is not true,SSSers that go all-in preflop,ALWAYS have some equity.
      Most money is made when you have a big stack and you force your opponent to make a mistake, such as overplaying top pair kind of hands, chasing a draw for the wrong price, or folding a better hand. And the concept of implieds is in the base of all this.
      Of course you could be winning with a midstack.There is just no point to do it, since you are not extracting the maximum.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      I'm having good results with 50BB buy in at NL10..............

Everybody else either buys in with 10 or 20BB, or 100BB

50BB confuses the hell out of most of them.

Why are you doing this? Do you prefer it?