Summer Success - Post Hands and Questions in Thread for Session Today

• w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach

Hey guys,

Really pleased to announce a 6 session live coaching course designed to get you playing one limit higher than you already are. We'll refresh ourselves on all the important basics for no-limit hold'em success, and at the end of the course we'll discuss how we can implement our move up to the next limit.

It's also great news for many of us that the live coachings will be for silver status and upwards, so if you haven't been able to attend the coachings in the past due to the gold status, these coachings are for you =)

The six parts will be as follows (click for videos) --->

1. Opening, Stealing, and Auto-Profit
      2. Tips for 3betting and Cold-Calling
      3. Postflop Play as the Aggressor
      4. Postflop Play as the Defender
      5. Simple Poker Maths
      6. BRM, Moving Up, General Q+A

To kick us off let us know here in the thread which limits you are playing and where you hope to be by the end of the course
  • 42 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Summer Success Part 1 - Opening, Stealing and Auto-Profit

Ok let's review our 5 tips for part one of the series which will be taking place this Thursday 9th at the usual coaching time.

1. Learn and practice default ranges. - Everyone needs a starting point. We'll talk about default ranges, how they are constructed, and why they are important.

2. Recognize when opponents in the blinds are too tight. - Some basic maths that can instantly boost our winrate. Maths does not need to be difficult to be extremely useful.

3. Recognize when the blinds are fun players. - We can steal wider vs recreational opponents. We'll debunk some common myths about this and talk about tricks for identifying recreational opponents.

4. Understanding default and exploitative sizing. - Are you using a different open-raising sizing to your poker buddies? Want to know who has the best sizing and why? Find out in the session.

5. Know how to deal with 3bets and calls. - Steals don't always work. Knowing what to do when they don't work will give us the confidence to keep stealing aggressively.

Thanks guys, see you there!
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi w34z3l,

Looking forward to this course :f_drink:
      Currently playing FR NL25. Looking to move up to NL100.
    • alonohara
      alonohara
      Bronze
      BUMP :f_biggrin:

10nl >>> 25nl+
      6 max
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      nl10 - nl25 mixing tables. are the videos up already?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      The vids seem to take a little while, so its better to attend the live event if you want the info sooner. First session is already complete, second session will be this Thursday.

5 hints coming soon! =)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Summer Success Part 2 - Tips for 3betting and Cold-calling

1. Learn and practice default ranges. - Plain and simple. Know what you should be 3betting, folding, or cold-calling when facing an open-raise.

2. Understanding exploitative deviations for cold-calling ranges. - The default cold-calling ranges are just a starting point. Next we need to understand when and how to deviate from our default cold-calling strategy.

3. Understand exploitative deviations for 3betting ranges - The default 3-betting ranges are just a starting point. Next we need to understand when and how to deviate from our default 3betting strategy.

4. Advanced 3betting strategies. - Many of us are probably still stuck in 2008. We need to understand the then-vs-now of 3betting. How has our understanding of 3betting deepened, and how does this translate into our strategy?

5. Mental Game of 3betting. - Our 3bets keep getting called? We should stop 3betting then, right?

See you there guys. Feel free to bring any questions on the topic of 3betting, cold-calling, and moving up limits.
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Silver
      Will try to dial in tomorrow. Really looking forward to some new impulse.

Currently I am on a steep downward spiral from as high as NL25.
      At the moment trying to find back into the game at NL5.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Good coaching :f_drink:
      Can you remind me about the homework again please.
    • coimbra888
      coimbra888
      Silver
      Hi w34z3l,

couldn`t watch the complete coaching(silver status).
      I would now watch the recorded session but this is gold status, is this correct or a misstake by ps.

Thanks a lot
    • LooooN
      LooooN
      Bronze
      Hey w34z3l,

could you upload the file with your ranges?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by metalmonkey80
      Good coaching :f_drink:
      Can you remind me about the homework again please.
      Hey, sorry for the slow response, I have been away.

Basic idea is to be a preflop boss before we continue with the postflop stuff next session. So pretty much all focus at this stage should be on making sure preflop game is wired tight and that you are trying out some of the exploitative stuff (aggressive steals, experiementing with raise sizings etc).

Also we mentioned that since the objective of the course is to move up a limit, you should be taking a look at you bankroll and making a plan on how you can shoot that limit (even if it is just 5 buyins) before the end of the summer.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by coimbra888
      Hi w34z3l,

couldn`t watch the complete coaching(silver status).
      I would now watch the recorded session but this is gold status, is this correct or a misstake by ps.

Thanks a lot
      Hey coimbra888,

You are that famous card-player or just a fan?

Anyway, it's not a mistake. Pokerstrategy deliberately made the live coaching silver but the recorded videos gold. This was to help promote high attendance. Silver members can be part of the coachings too, but only if they attend live in person.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by LooooN
      Hey w34z3l,

could you upload the file with your ranges?
      The ranges are for sale, but not available for free. However, you can get a much older version of the ranges for free in the w34z3l's walkthrough thread here at pokerstrategy.com.

If you want the latest ranges, your options are to try and take them from the live coachings or to purchase from http://www.pokerweasel.com/Ranges/
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Summer Success 3 - Postflop Play as the Aggressor

1. Understanding when to cbet Flop - The concept is simple. Should we cbet or not? The topic is a little more nuanced that some might imagine, so we'll discuss a few of the details during the session.

2. Understanding when to check the Flop. - By definition the hands we check will be the ones we don't cbet. It stil makes sense to approach the problem from the other angle and make sure we are extremely clear on when a hand is a check as a opposed to a cbet.

3. Understanding when to fire the turn - We have cbet the flop as the aggressor. It helps to have a firm strategy in place for when we should be double-barreling.

4. Understanding when to fire the river - We have cbet the flop and turn as the aggressor. It helps to have a firm strategy in place for when we should be triple-barreling.

5. Constructing plans for less common scenarios - By this point we'll have covered many of the most common situations. There are plenty of other things that might occur however. What happens if our flop cbet gets raised? How do we play the river after skipping a turn cbet? We'll discuss some of these situations and also answer any general questions you guys have regarding postflop play.

Coaching session is this Thursday evening so don't miss out!!!
    • LooooN
      LooooN
      Bronze
      @w34z3l

Hey,

thanks for answering my question. You've done lots of good work, so I've just bought and downloaded your new ranges. Thanks a lot!
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      @w34z3l

I am currently going through your older video's, should I finish those first or would I be better just starting this new series?

So far finding it all very helpful, so thanks already :D
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by LooooN
      @w34z3l

Hey,

thanks for answering my question. You've done lots of good work, so I've just bought and downloaded your new ranges. Thanks a lot!
      Appreciate it, thanks. Feel free to hit me up on Skype if you have any problems. Skype is the same as my pokerstrategy.com alias.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Catonthemat
      @w34z3l

I am currently going through your older video's, should I finish those first or would I be better just starting this new series?

So far finding it all very helpful, so thanks already :D
      It shouldn't matter too much. This summer success series is designed to be as simple as possible while covering the broadest scope of possible topics, so its not a bad place to start by any means. I guess some of the info is a little more current also, not that the info in the older vids is bad or anything.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Summer Success 4 - Postflop Play as the Defender

Here we go guys! 5 tips for the session this evening.

1. Understanding when/how to defend the flop
      After cold-calling preflop we will face a continuation bet from our opponents frequently, and we should have a good idea of when it is correct to raise/call/fold. We also need to know how position effects this and what we should do when facing a flop 3bet.

2. Understanding when/how to defend the turn
      After calling or raising a flop continuation bet, we'll need ideas on what to do when facing a second barrel ourselves, or when to barrel assuming we decided to check/raise the flop. When should we just call again on the turn, and when should we raise. How does position effect this?

3. Understanding when/how to defend the river
      We face a triple barrel from our opponents. How wide should we call? Should we ever raise? We should have a basic idea regarding the answers to this. Does position still matter?

4. When opponent skips a Cbet on any Street
      We should know how to play in the following scenarios
      Opponent skips flop cbet OOP
      Opponent skips turn cbet OOP
      Opponents skips river cbet OOP
      Opponent skips flop cbet IP
      Opponents skips turn cbet IP

5. 3bet pots as the defender
      Many players have issues with 3bet pots, although admittedly these are often more psychological problems than tactical issues. We'll talk about how we adjust the above strategies assuming that we are now defending against a preflop 3bet by just calling.

There is zero eletricity here at the moment. I can even see some random electricians who have climbed up the nearby power poles without any safety gear. (This is Africa). Hopefully they will get it fixed in time. I got a little backup power also if worst comes to the worst.