How important is confidence in poker?

• DjAdolfMixer
      DjAdolfMixer
      Bronze
      If in a positive mindset befor a Tournament/sng i genreally do pretty well.

Whenever i feel low in confidence i feel timid and pressured.

For me it is the differnce between winning and losing
  • 6 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Yeah, it's very important, if you are in negative mindset you play weak poker and in general give away your money, like yesterday i had some terible luck felt like going on tilt and quit playing, so today i thought like it's over and tried playing, well, i lost even more, well yeah i got unlucky few times too but in general i couldn't manage to play the poker i usually play. So it's better to keep yourself away from poker if you are in negative mindset cause it'll affect your bankroll negatively too. And also about the river thingy,, i know it's stupid but it's like almost everytime i fear the river it hits hard and i lose, while when i don't care, i feel like a wining player, river seems kind to me. :D
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Confidence is the only thing that gives you motivation when you're in those sickening downswings. If you believe you play well, you believe that the things should balance over time.

As a matter of fact, I almost lost my bankroll but did not lost my confidence :D Still waiting for that upswing.
    • redvel
      redvel
      Bronze
      Same here about almost losing bankroll today. I did quit my tables at the very last recoverable moment after losing AA/KK/QQ/AK x-teen times in a row. It was enough for me to take a 40 minutes break and then lower the stakes. I've now recovered ~25% of what i lost today and am possitive to fully recover in the next few days.

You may sometimes need a break that's several days long, but the key is you can recover. Just don't play if you don't feel like doing your best to win at the moment.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Confidence is success. :]

I have been doing good last weeks.
      I want it, and I know I can do it. :)
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I can't remember who I was chatting with in the IRC, but someone asked me about confidence. As I had a spell of severe anxiety and lost all confidence in absolutely everything I did.

My winrate stayed exactly the same, although I did notice I played a few hands differently to normal.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Confidence also helps a great deal when you're on a downswing... "I know I'm playing solid poker, always making the right play and getting money in when I'm a big favourite... more of the same and it will eventually end".

In tournaments, it gives you courage to make plays when you sense weakness (raising donkbets, picking up dead money, re-stealing etc..), u know, the kind of plays in the late stages that WIN you the tournament... and even if your play doesn't work out because you ran into aces or kings, it still won't put u off from trying the same plays next time. Without confidence, you're just a weak/tight who hopes to cash and then go home.