Ranges from small blind.

• DirtyBasementKid
      DirtyBasementKid
      Gold
      Hello everyone.

I recently stumbled upon an article on PS about ranges from the small blind. I got interested because they advised me the following range, that I should call from this positon:

vs open from MP: QQ-77,AQs+,KQs,JTs,T9s,AKo
      vs open from CO: 99-66,AQs-AJs,KJs+,QJs,JTs,T9s,98s,AJo,KQo
      vs open from BTN: TT-66,AQs-ATs,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,AJo-ATo,KJo+,QJo

(hopefully I'm not giving away too much information :D )

So I guess my question is whether turning this hands into 3bet wouldn't be a better option? I mean when we call, we are giving a BB chance to squeeze, or just call with good pot odds. Do you guys prefer more of a polarized or merged range?

Regards.
  • 3 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Well we must have some kind of calling range here, don't you think? I think those hands are pretty good as calls, maybe a bit tight calling range for me but not bad. My range is a bit wider.

I think you can't start 3betting all of those hands. But for example vs MP those suited connectors could be 3bet bluffs.
    • StruxXx
      StruxXx
      Gold
      This is as fluent as it gets. Alot of people think that if they build a calling range they have to stick with it. WRONG.

Every player at the table is different type of player so you need to adopt your game accordingly. Its good to have an overall plan what you call / fold / 3bet, but in general you need to balance your range according to the opponent that you're facing.

Eg. Alot of this that you've selected as calling range could potentially be 3bet (value or bluff) but again it depends on the opponent you're facing.

If some1 has Ft3bet over 80% I would 3bet him quite alot with various hands that you've selected as calling range (3bet bluff > 3bet value), how ever if a villain has .20 - .30 Ft3bet I'm 3beting only JJ+ AQ+ (3bet value > 3bet bluff).

I hope I helped.

Gl
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Bronze
      Originally posted by StruxXx
      This is as fluent as it gets. Alot of people think that if they build a calling range they have to stick with it. WRONG.

Every player at the table is different type of player so you need to adopt your game accordingly. Its good to have an overall plan what you call / fold / 3bet, but in general you need to balance your range according to the opponent that you're facing.

Eg. Alot of this that you've selected as calling range could potentially be 3bet (value or bluff) but again it depends on the opponent you're facing.

If some1 has Ft3bet over 80% I would 3bet him quite alot with various hands that you've selected as calling range (3bet bluff > 3bet value), how ever if a villain has .20 - .30 Ft3bet I'm 3beting only JJ+ AQ+ (3bet value > 3bet bluff).

I hope I helped.

Gl
      A very good advice the OP should not miss