The Fish (R)evolution

• multiBase
      multiBase
      Bronze
      Hi there and welcome!

Time to get organised and stay motivated. Keeping those, and other goals in mind, I decided to take part in a Bankroll Challenge.

I'm not a rookie, however not an experienced player either. My main goal is to build up from affordable starting bankroll into a bigger one, that will allow me to play reasonable schedule of MTTs 2-3 days a week as a nice addition to normal job salary. Going pro? That would be a really long-term thinking. I am not aiming for that since it's pretty hard and time consuming. I am not sure that you can make such a goal having a regular day job. I am not saying no, but well....

Since I've already tried different formats I am pretty sure I'd like to stick to MTT SNGs and transfer with time to MTTs. So far I am playing 45 man on Stars, and shooting MTTs like Goldfish on 888. I have small profit in 45mans so far, however due to limited time I just cannot afford big volume playing currently 4 tables in parallel. I will definitely work on increasing it to 6, 8, 10 and 12. In case of MTTs I've been pretty lucky this week when I started a Goldfish for an 1$ buy-in as an MTT addition to my small SNG session. Boy, was I tired the next day at work from sleeping only 4h after finishing 6th (7h of play till 4am). :f_drink:

I think I could get to top3, however I was pretty tired and... I had a bit too much wine. Normally I don't drink anything %%% while playing, but my session wasn't so good, I barely got even in SNGs so with one table left I decided to just relax. Shouldn't do that, lesson learned.

Down to the business...

Long-term goals
      :diamond: Bankroll of about 10k $
      :diamond: Play in a live event (EPT-like)
      :diamond: Move up to mid-stakes MTTs
      :diamond: Financial security :f_cool:
      :diamond: Bankroll challenge:
      Start: 210$
      Goal: 2000$

Short-term goals - September (updated monthly)
      :club: 200 tournaments
      :club: Move to 180man as a main
      :club: 2 review sessions per week including Push / Fold and postflop play
      :club: Ship the Goldfish! :s_cool:
      :club: Finish reading "The Poker Mindset: Attitudes for Poker Success" by Matthew Hilger & Ian Taylor (great read so far)

Other goals beside poker
      :spade: Eat more healthy
      :spade: Do more sports / hiking
      :spade: Get into shape
      :spade: Finish 'education'

Without any further ado - let's go!
  • 10 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey multiBase,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • multiBase
      multiBase
      Bronze
      Last two days wasn't great. It felt like it was a parade of bad beats mixed with spazzz hero calls and smaller mistakes. In general I think I worked on my mindset since when my AK < Q8o I just laugh and open a new table. Maybe I am too tired after work and gym to play a good session? I will try to work on getting better and longer sleep. Perhaps I will do gym 3-4 times a week and those days only do hand review or sth and play on others (weekend ofc for sure). Thankfully cardio machines at my gym, are quite handy and time spent there can be double productive. ;-)

Today I want to review hands that I marked yesterday. Usually I am just marking weird / tough spots postflop, as well as spots where I am not sure whether to push or fold. In case I am on a good run and I do a nice deep - then I review the whole tournament. I am not sure which is better, hence I am doing both interchangeably.

I also decided to finally take care of my diet. Over the past few years I've tested different approaches. So far, the most successful was ketogenic diet. I went through some of the scientific papers written on the subject and it's really convincing that indeed, for some people with poor carbohydrate tolerance it is the best way to eat. If you're interested I could take a stab and try to write more on the subject. In general, from my own experience, it was much easier to control weight and appetite when I restrict myself carbohydrates, and focus on moderate protein and high fat. There is one problem though - it's hard to maintain. You have to be really strong when someone from work brings a cake, or there is a pizza in the seminar. ;-) Same story when you go for a dinner with friends. However, I'm getting stronger so it's gonna be alright. ;-)
    • multiBase
      multiBase
      Bronze
      Week 1
      Torunaments: 32
      Profit: -17.64$
      Current Bankroll: 192.36 $

I really have to work on my game. This week was really bad, my postflop sukcs. It's hard to see growing stack burned in rather simple spots. :/
    • multiBase
      multiBase
      Bronze
      New week is a new start with the basics
      I was wondering why last week was so bad. I don't mean here that a loss is a sole indicator of it, I just played bad. After looking at long-term charts (previous attempts to poker) it seems quite evident that I do ok at the beginning to start dropping down later on. I think the main reasons are not focusing as much as at the beginning and not playing ABC game.

At the beginning I was playing maybe 2 tables at the time in order not to be lost and I focused my ass off. No FB, videos, twitch, just music. Last few sessions - all of it. I thought I can handle it and I still understand well what's going on at the tables. Apparently not. It seems I was doing rushed decisions which were not optimal to say the least. Other thing - I was playing straightforward ABC poker, while now I am trying to be super smart with moves I've seen in some videos. IT DOESN'T WORK HERE! I was for instance trying to balance my preflop range, which does not make any sense in 1$ SNGs. IT JUST DOESN'T!

In order to fix that I am going to read all postflop articles here on PS. Since I have planned training in the afternoon (probably only 1h cardio though) I will watch something regarding postflop play and I will super-focus in the evening session (unless I will be too tired to play).

Plans for the week
      :club: At least 30 Tournaments
      :club: SUPER-FOCUS!!!
      :club: Only ABC!!!
      :club: More analysis and range-perception work with FlopZilla

Have a nice week at work & tables!

PS. Last but not least - Congrats to fellow Pole Sebastian for winning EPT Barcelona! :f_drink:
    • multiBase
      multiBase
      Bronze
      Week 2
      Torunaments: 60
      Profit: -10.95$
      Current Bankroll: 181.41 $

Unfortunately due to wrong bankroll management I have second week in a row with a loss. I've started playing more MTTs this week. It wouldn't be so bad if I wouldn't keep rebuying for 10bb and 1$ mtt wouldn't end up beeing more of a 10$ one....

To the brighter side of things - I am happy with my game. It isn't perfect for sure, but it starts to look better. I don't try to make hero bluff plays and hero calls which used to cost me quite a lot. I was working also on bet sizes since they were too small in most cases. Following sentence "scare money don't make money" I've started betting more when it's needed and it pays off. Overall I think I start to understand the game better and better with each session. Today I was especially happy since I won two satellites - for 2.2$ mini-WCOOP event and $11 Sunday Storm. Nice experience, although fields are pretty big so it will take time to get back there. Too bad I dropped from Storm due to flip spots. Would be nice to win 3 or even 4 digits.

In order to keep track with time I spend on playing, watching strategy videos and hand analysis I've started putting everything together in an excel sheet. I just want to make sure that I am not spending too much time playing and not enough studying. Right now it's divided equally between those two, which I think is reasonable, keeping in mind I have a regular job. I thought it might be better idea to study more than actually playing, however with limited time I guess it makes more sense to spend half of the time playing, and half studying. Today I've tried 6-tabling and it was a bit too fast, but I think I will try it more often, as long as my decision making does not suffer. And.... I made my plan for the week - I played two times as much tournaments! I know for you 60 is like 1, or 2 sessions, but for me it's quite an achievement to play so "many" in a single week while not playing so much tables at once. As they say - Rome wasn't built in a day.

Overall even though there is no $ profit, there is profit in the mental part as I start to like more and more the game, which makes me to like more also studying it. It was a good week.

I am sorry for my English, it might be pretty bad right now as I am not a native speaker and Jack Daniel's does not really help with it. ;-)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by multiBase

I am sorry for my English, it might be pretty bad right now as I am not a native speaker and Jack Daniel's does not really help with it. ;-)
      Don't switch to Jim Beam. I am a native English speaker and it doesn't help me. :f_biggrin:

Seriously though, you're English is fine. :f_thumbsup:
    • multiBase
      multiBase
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61

Don't switch to Jim Beam. I am a native English speaker and it doesn't help me. :f_biggrin:

Seriously though, you're English is fine. :f_thumbsup:
      Thanks! :f_drink:

I am not gonna switch - I don't really like bourbon. ;-) In general I enjoy a good whiskey, for instance my personal favourite is Lagavulin 16. Unfortunately it's like 60-70 $ a bottle which is a quarter of my BR. ;-)
    • multiBase
      multiBase
      Bronze
      Week 3
      Torunaments: 57
      Profit: -9.77$
      Current Bankroll: 171.64 $
    • Rhodriguez
      Rhodriguez
      Gold
      A very nice blog you have here. And if you study as structured as your writing makes the impression - I'm sure you will excel!
      And for me 60 tournaments sounds like a lot. Don't play it down. In addition to that comes your study time (which others you compare yourself to might not do). I really hope you will keep it up. :f_thumbsup:

Inspired by your week 2 entry I'm trying to log my times too. So far I failed miserably because it's harder as it sound. Missed either to write down when I started or forget to make a note when I was finished. Or got simply distracted after fetching a glass of water from the kitchen and ending up doing laundry.

cheers!
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi multiBase,

what's up? I have not had heard anything from you and your BR challenge in a few weeks?
      If you got time we'd love to see an update here or at Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread

See you,SvenBe