Zero to Hero. The 0-1k challenge

• JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      Challenge with no time frame the idea is a simple one to go from nothing to 1k playing tournaments. Now I am by no means a prolific player by any stretch of the imagination however I have nothing to lose trying. Literally.
      Wish me luck will try to update daily
  • 15 replies
    • Post removed

• JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      Day One

Tournaments: 12
      Bankroll: €0.41

So today went okay got to a FT and came 5th and afew cents playing freeroll STT.
      The game plan is to play these freerolls until I get €5.00 that will give me 50 buy ins for the 10c STT and from there I will play those with freeroll tournaments until I reach €10.00 then I will move to 20c STT with free rolls until I have €25.00 to play the 50c tournaments this is the lowest buyin they are rebuy tournaments but I think 50 buyins will be enough.

If I run bad and reach 50 buyins for the limit below I will move down.

Will be back with update tomorrow.

GL at zeeee tableeeeesssss :f_drink:

Edit: So many mistakes need to proof read posts
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      That’s an interesting challenge to build up your bankroll from nothing.
      Maybe the Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now! promotion is interesting for you.

Good luck with your challenge and improving your game :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      Thanks for the GLzzz opted into the challenge. Tell me has anyone did a Get Rich or die Tryin' from zero before?
    • JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      Ok so I recieved some money from PS so I will add it to the bankroll. I think it is ok because it isn't that much however that being said all it did was speed up the inevitable as I would have made the initial money eventually.

I have decided to track overall bankroll in GBP as it is easier this way so I will update from now on with profit in GBP.

Overall Bankroll: £7.96

Think this is almost €10 so I will play the 20c STT with free rolls.
    • JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      Day Two

Didn't feel to great today so went to sleep after work and missed the freeroll schedule so I only got to play in 2 but things have been going well mixing the 10c and 20c STT.

Total Games: 28
      Overall Bankroll: £8.81

Going to start setting weekly goals but seeing I don't feel great and it is the weekend the challenge is gonna be pretty lax I will play when I feel like it. On Sunday night I will assign some goals for the week ahead.

GL GL GL
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Originally posted by JoeRichy
      Thanks for the GLzzz opted into the challenge. Tell me has anyone did a Get Rich or die Tryin' from zero before?
      I don’t think so, but I don’t follow all the blogs for it :f_pleased:
    • JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      I got 10 dollars PS money on netbet so I am using it.
      Kinda feels like cheating because I didn't make it myself but then again it kinda doesn't because the site has freeroll tournaments and STT which are both soft.
      I would have got the initial €5 with some time.
      I think this just sped up the challenge by 2 weeks at least.

Let me know what you think? I am actually feeling kinda bad about it now.

Edit: Grammar
    • Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      You seem to have started well but for anyone else thinking of doing the same, a couple of tips as I've done this several times, currently on £550 (≈ $700)

1. Don't play on Pokerstars, there is no value.
      2. Look for freerolls that have low numbers, high prize pools. Divide the prize pool by the number of players to work out it's value, anything above 10c is OK for freerolls (I play in a freeroll that is worth $1.50)
      3. If you win cash, get it straight onto the tables, don't keep building your bankroll until $x amount.
      4. Have very loose bankroll requirements initially, with $8 I'd be play 50c games, maybe even 1x $1. I'd work to a 5x bankroll initially. (Higher rake at the lowest stakes will kill you).
      5. Keep playing freerolls even if your bankrolled for real money.
      6. Table select, table select and table select some more. Chase bad players.
      7. If you bring the freeroll winnings to cash, sit with the minimum buy in. This is usually counter what is normally preached but it makes sense if you think about it.
      8. If you win $20+, don't be scared to withdraw and deposit elsewhere to take advantage of a first deposit bonus.
      9. Withdraw when you get something that doesn't hurt too much, if you've say $50, take $20 and treat yourself. There's no point playing if you don't get the rewards.
      10. Good luck!

I'm sure I can think of others.
    • JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ovalman
      You seem to have started well but for anyone else thinking of doing the same, a couple of tips as I've done this several times, currently on £550 (≈ $700)

2. Look for freerolls that have low numbers, high prize pools. Divide the prize pool by the number of players to work out it's value, anything above 10c is OK for freerolls (I play in a freeroll that is worth $1.50)
      3. If you win cash, get it straight onto the tables, don't keep building your bankroll until $x amount.
      4. Have very loose bankroll requirements initially, with $8 I'd be play 50c games, maybe even 1x $1. I'd work to a 5x bankroll initially. (Higher rake at the lowest stakes will kill you).
      7. If you bring the freeroll winnings to cash, sit with the minimum buy in. This is usually counter what is normally preached but it makes sense if you think about it.
      8. If you win $20+, don't be scared to withdraw and deposit elsewhere to take advantage of a first deposit bonus.
      9. Withdraw when you get something that doesn't hurt too much, if you've say $50, take $20 and treat yourself. There's no point playing if you don't get the rewards.
      10. Good luck!

Hey Ovalman thanks very much for your tips I really like number 2.

I am playing on Netbet and they offer 20c (17+3) STT so according to your calculation this is a good value tournament coming in at 1.53/9 = 0.17. However the 10c (8+2) STT is not value? 0.72/9 = 0.08. So would you suggest stop playing this one?
      That has definately gave me something to think about.

The network traffic isn't the greatest but for the time being this is where the challenge will be.
      I don't believe that taking shots initially is the way to go though. I mean sure it is if your aim is to get there as fast as possible but this challenge is a marathon not a sprint.

If anyone who is an STT winner would like to stop by and offer some advice. How to learn this format effeciently? what videos to watch? What articles to read? What skyrocketted their performance in this format? I would be more than thankful for some free tips on this format.

Also don't just lurk get involved people any questions fire them my way I will be very active during this challenge.
    • Ovalman
      Ovalman
      Basic
      If your unsure or your not comfortable about your ROI then stay at the lowest until you can beat that level but remember the highest rake is at the bottom and rake is a killer. It could mean the difference between being a winner and loser.

I've never played Netbet but I see it's I-Poker so you'll be playing against the likes of me. Look for Netbet exclusives and keep an eye on the points system and how you can exploit it.

I'm a semi decent micro stakes reg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2vnq5v9.png

Most of that graph is in SnG format but it also shows the futility of Stars, I lifted mid 4 figures last year from Betfair while my entire "career" on Stars has netted me £2k (nice graph though and why I like to show it :f_biggrin: )

A couple of tips,

Work out who the regs are and pick on their weaknesses. Sit and watch the lobby to see who multi tables. There are decent regs but most are bad/ break even at these stakes.
      Bet hard against the fish, don't be fancy, a pot bet is the same as a min raise to a fish, maximise your chips when you can.
      If I'm big stack around the bubble, bully the table.
      If your lowest stack around bubble pick your spots wisely.
      If your middle stack around bubble, bully low stacks but get to the cash first. Cashing means everything in SnGs.
      If you don't know a table, sit ultra tight for the first few levels, don't risk everything on a flip in the early stages.
      If you do know players then play the player as well as your cards.

STT's are harder BTW, I had a monopoly for many years but today thanks to training sites everyone knows the strategy.

Do you use a HUD and are you saving hand histories?

Originally posted by Ovalman

10. Good luck!

Hey Ovalman thanks very much for your tips I really like number 2.

I am playing on Netbet and they offer 20c (17+3) STT so according to your calculation this is a good value tournament coming in at 1.53/9 = 0.17. However the 10c (8+2) STT is not value? 0.72/9 = 0.08. So would you suggest stop playing this one?
      That has definately gave me something to think about.

The network traffic isn't the greatest but for the time being this is where the challenge will be.
      I don't believe that taking shots initially is the way to go though. I mean sure it is if your aim is to get there as fast as possible but this challenge is a marathon not a sprint.

If anyone who is an STT winner would like to stop by and offer some advice. How to learn this format effeciently? what videos to watch? What articles to read? What skyrocketted their performance in this format? I would be more than thankful for some free tips on this format.

Also don't just lurk get involved people any questions fire them my way I will be very active during this challenge.
    • JoeRichy
      JoeRichy
      Bronze
      Day Three & Four

Didn't play too much at the weekend was feeling pretty ill and had some family event to attend which resulted in a hungover fish on Sunday. Played a little bit here and there.

Total Games: 57
      Overall Bankroll: £9.34

So onto the week ahead with some goals I have decided that I am going to be using roughly 5 or 6 hours per day for poker. Some times it will be playing and sometimes study I think 1.5hr per day should be a good amount for study. I will not set target amount of games as this may cause me to play more tables than optimal or to force me to play when I don't feel like it.

I will also take one day off this week haven't decided which day to take yet.

So this week will be:

27 hours playing time
      9 hours study time

I will hope to update with some notes later on this evening with how I am progressing. Until then GL at the tables
    • Oligon
      Oligon
      Bronze
      Loving this challenge so far! I think it will be a great achievement to keep going up stakes from nothing. I am trying to do something similar in PS playing freerolls, so it is very inspiring!
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I will hope to update with some notes later on this evening with how I am progressing. Until then GL at the tables
      He Joe,

don't let us down here! How is it going with the next games & hopefully next winnings? Come on board the Pokership Bankrollchallenge and join us on our cruise to success!
    • XxMatadorExX
      XxMatadorExX
      Silver
      Got a bankroll as well on this site from PS. How are you doing?