What is this M?

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      In several of the posts there is an M value?

What is this value and how does it work/apply to tournaments?

Sorry if this is something obvious but I couldn't see any mention of it in the strategy area.
  • 9 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi Smileyphil,

M = The amount of orbits you will take to blind out, at the current blind level.

Its like saying I have 20 BB's. Apart from the fact M takes the big blind, small blind and antes into account.

Hope thats understandable :D
      Stiev
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      M is a concept most are familiar from Harrington's books on hold'em.

M is the ratio of your stack to the pot before any action (blinds plus antes)

If your stack is 15000, and the blinds are 500/1000, antes are 100 and 9 players that makes.

M= 15000/(500+1000+9x100) = 15000/2600 ~ 5.8

Instead of just looking at the number of BB, we see that we can survive six rounds of blinds and antes.

M ranges define your playing options. There are different M range zones Harrington discusses; green, yellow, orange and red.

There is also a 'Q' which is your stack compared to the average stack (I'm not sure how useful this is?)

Maybe the letters themselves come from James Bond movies?
    • bah22
      bah22
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi,
      M is a value that is based on sum of all the chips before anyone acts in the pot or this is the sum of BB+SB+antes. The idea is that you must calculate your stack to this value M since every round you will be blinded with exactly this much of chips.
      You can read more about this in Dan Harrinton's books. At least this was where i found about this value M.

LOL i was too late i guess! :)
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Ok I see thanks for clearing that up.

Does Dan Harrintons book deal specifically with MTT's or is it for hold 'em in general?

I may have to get a copy of it :D
    • bah22
      bah22
      Coach
      Coach
      It is mostly for MTTs. His books helped me a lot to improve my tournament play!
      If you are a MTT player you should definitely read them!
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      There is also a 'Q' which is your stack compared to the average stack (I'm not sure how useful this is?)
      I think Q is mostly a general indicator of where you stand, if Q is less than 0.5 for example then you know you might need to double up soon... but M is the "strong force" and should therefore always be "obeyed" more than Q.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Most important thing :D
    • grummeler
      grummeler
      Bronze
      nothing more to add but
      GET THIS FUCKING GREAT BOOK! :)
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze