Beginner Question *** Need advice

• fosseneuvej
      fosseneuvej
      Basic
      Hi, So I'm really new to the game of poker and as I have been studying pot odds and card odds I have one question. Why does pot odds take preference over card odds? Everything I read tells me to call a bet when the pot odds are better than your card odds. Sorry if I seem kind of dense I'm trying to study the game of poker and work on my game. Whats your advice on pot odds vs card odds? Thanks in advance
  • 6 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hi fosseneuvej,

Pot odds tell you how often you have to win the hand to call a bet profitably. If the pot is 5$ and villain bets 5$ our pot odds are ~33% (5/10+5).
      By "card odds" I think you mean your "hit odds" = your equity = how often you really will win the hand.

If your equity (card odds) is ~33%, you will win the hand 33 times out of 100 and lose it 66 times. This means you win 33*10$ and you will lose 66*5$ -> you will be break even on the long run. But if your equity is lower than that, you will be losing.

I hope this helps. If you didn't understand something, just ask :f_thumbsup:
    • sparkes25
      sparkes25
      Bronze
      the basic way to look at it is, if the pot odds your being offered are better then your odds of winning the pot then you will make money in the long run. eg

pot is $24 its heads up and on the flop, the other player jams for $8 more. (pot odds = 4/1, call $8 to win $32)

a, if you have a nut flush draw you have 9 outs to a flush with 2 cards to come, so you have around (3/1)... this is a snap call.
      b. if you have if you have 2 under cards and no draw then you will win less then 1 in 5 times so its a easy fold.

basic pot odds math is the simplest when playing cash games, when playing sng's or mtt's you have icm to keep in mind also
    • fosseneuvej
      fosseneuvej
      Basic
      hey guys thanks for the advice. I've been keeping myself busy and learning so much. I have pot odds figured out pretty good now. any quick calculations that help you while your estimating your percentage?
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Hi fosseneuvej,

You can use the rule of 2 and 4 in-game, it approximates your winning chances in %.

I'll first show the math:

There are 52 cards in a deck right?
      You have 2 in your hand and there are 3 on the flop. So 5 cards are known and 47 cards unknown.
      That means that the chance of hitting a specific card on the turn = 1/47 * 100 = 2.13%
      Now if there are 2 cards to come you have (1/47 + 1/46) * 100 = 4.30%

Now the rule of 2 and 4 uses these numbers. If there is 1 card to come you have about 2% chance for each out you have (1/50 would be 2%). If there are 2 cards to come (for example if you are all-in on the flop), you have about 4% chance for each out you have.

So for example if you have the Ace-high flush draw and your ace is an out, you have 9 + 3 = 12 outs.
      If there is 1 card to come: 2*12 = about 24% chance.
      If there are 2 cards to come 4*12 = about 48% chance.

It is not an exact science, you will always have just slightly more than the % that this rule says you have. But it's great to use in -game.
    • erin1992
      erin1992
      Basic
      hallo saya akeno chan ...tinggal di bandung indonesia ...
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey erin1992,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :welcome:

You should take a moment or two to Introduce yourself! to us properly.

You should also get yourself added to our Member map. You never know, the nearest PokerStrategist may live right next door. :f_p:

Have fun :gl:

Laz