[NL2-NL10] NL5 - Set vs. Straight on Turn

• Oziriz
      Oziriz
      Bronze
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (8 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 ($6.45)
      UTG+1 ($4.51)
      Hero (Button) ($5.33)
      UTG ($3.63)
      CO ($1.41)
      SB ($4.68)
      MP1 ($1.98)
      BB ($2.91)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9:heart: , 9:spade:
      UTG calls $0.04, 3 folds, CO calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, SB calls $0.02, BB checks

Flop: ($0.20) 7:club: , 10:spade: , 9:diamond: (5 players)
      SB bets $0.04, BB calls $0.04, UTG calls $0.04, CO calls $0.04, Hero raises $0.21, SB calls $0.17, BB calls $0.17, 2 folds

Turn: ($0.91) 8:heart: (3 players)
      SB raises to $4.43 (All-In), BB calls $2.66 (All-In), Hero folds

This was one of the first hands at that table, I have no clue how these players play but at least one of them had to make that straight...

Now, I have two questions about this:
      1. Should I have raised 99 from the button? The SHC suggests I shouldn't...
      2. Should I have called SB's all-in? I had a lot of outs that would make my hand better and beat that straight (full house, four of a kind) or if that fails, at least split the pot in case they only had the J or 6 of the straight.
  • 2 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi Osiriz,

I do raise 99 in that position, but I have more experience postlfop. If you feel unsecure limping for set value is ok as well. as you get to the flop and hit your set you should raise more to protect your hand. I would raise to about 0.40 ( a little bit less then pot size). The turn is a ugly card and due to the overbet and call I also fold.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Oziriz
      Oziriz
      Bronze
      Thank you for your evaluation TribunCaesar. I noticed as I posted the log that I indeed should have raised more...
      I would feel comfortable raising 99 for set value as in most cases I can get away with a c-bet on the flop if just one player calls and I miss my set, I actually have a slight chance of holding an overpair on the flop too. So I will be raising 99 preflop from now on!