Unibet - beware of serious unprofessionalism and reckless approach - money frozen

• MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with all of you who are planing on playing at Unibet poker room, and also want to ask if you have any suggestion on what I should do.
      I started playing poker at Unibet a couple months ago and played quite a lot (I quite my job 6 months ago and started playing poker all day long) and made significant amount. About a month and a half ago I made a withdrawal of $500 to my neteller account and everything went fine so I assumed there wont be any problem for me to do withdrawals (it is possible that I already have verified my account then, but I am not sure since those days I verified my accounts at neteller, pokerstars, 888 poker and other poker rooms I play). About 20 days ago I planed on withdrawing some larger amount so I went to live chat to assure everything is fine and to ask if there is anything else I should do and when to expect the money to be at my neteller account, when the guy from customer service told me to verify my account and that everything will be fine. I went to account page and saw that my account is not verified, so I uploaded some documents for account verification and a couple days after I tried to withdraw money but my account was not verified although more then 3 days passed since I uploaded documents (at unibet site it says that documents are reviewed and account verified in 3 days maximum). THEN AGONY STARTS I was asked to send some more documents because something was unclear or couldnt be seen. So I sent it again (photo of my ID, Drivers licence, Phone bill and utility bill) and 2 days after, when I tried to log in to my account it said that account is unavailable. I got no mail or any info, so I was confused and went to live chat when a guy from customer service told me that my account is blocked because Account department have taken a look at my documents and they are absolutely not confident with my documents and account in general and that my account will remain blocked and funds frozen. When I asked why, he said that they dont need to provide that information, that Unibet can close an existing account without any explanation whatsoever, and that there is nothing I can do and the account will remain closed and funds frozen forever (see photos of that chat below). After that I sent mail to unibet asking for an explanation and got this answer:
      "Dear Marko, Thank you for contacting Unibet!
      We regret to inform you that our Player Safety Department's decision is irrevocable. Your account will remain closed and the funds frozen.
      Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Have a great day!
      Best Regards,
      Oana
      Unibet Customer Support"
      They never told me what is the problem and how I could solve it so I sent one more mail asking what is happening and offering to provide any proof necessary and saying I will have to start posting on poker forums about this. 5 days after, I still didnt get response and my account is still blocked and funds frozen.
      I want to say that all the documents I sent were the same I sent to 5 other poker rooms and neteller and they all verified my account without any problem. Only thing that could be problem is that some documents are in cyrilic font i.e. (its my contry letter) and utility bill holder names are my parents because I live in their flat but they have the same last name as I do (unibet doesnt offer to leave a comment when you upload documents so I couldnt explain that), but I sent phone bill with my name in latin font.
      I still have no clue what is happening and why my account is blocked and money frozen, since I did nothing wrong. I cant believe they gave me no information or asked for some other documents or something else that could clear the problems they have with my documents. I played online poker for more then 10 years at more than 20 poker rooms and never had a single problem, so this is really frustrating me. I strongly recommend not to play on Unibet because you never know if they are going to close your account (even if you verified it) because they seem to have right according to their T&C.
      Please help, I am frustrated both by the fact that my account is blocked with my money on it and the way they are handling this problem (arrogant way, not answering mails, not providing any info about problem, saying they can do whatever they want without any explanation and there is nothing I can do)

These are images from live chat, just to see that I am not telling lies because it seems like impossible what the guy from chat told me.

• 65 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hi MajorCanon,

That sounds weird indeed.
      How old are you? Were the documents you sent several years old?

Anyway when you have this kind of disputes with a poker room you can always send a complaint to their regulator. Unibet's regulator is Malta Gaming Authority. You can send a complaint to their e-mail address: support.mga@mga.org.mt

The complaint must contain clear and unequivocal information about the Account Holder's identity, and shall give all the relevant details that gave rise to the complaint. Unibet will immediately look into any complaint made to it or to the Regulator.

You can read more from here: https://www.unibet.com/general-info/terms#section-16

Regards,
      la55i
    • MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      Originally posted by la55i
      Hi MajorCanon,

That sounds weird indeed.
      How old are you? Were the documents you sent several years old?

Anyway when you have this kind of disputes with a poker room you can always send a complaint to their regulator. Unibet's regulator is Malta Gaming Authority. You can send a complaint to their e-mail address: support.mga@mga.org.mt

The complaint must contain clear and unequivocal information about the Account Holder's identity, and shall give all the relevant details that gave rise to the complaint. Unibet will immediately look into any complaint made to it or to the Regulator.

You can read more from here: https://www.unibet.com/general-info/terms#section-16

Regards,
      la55i
      I am 30+ years old. Personal documents I sent are 2-3 years old, and bills are last month's.

Have you seen images from live chat? I still cant believe the things they are saying like: we can close account without any explanation whatsoever, we dont need to send you any info, there is nothing you can do, account will remain closed forever. I have never heard of such a reckless and larcenous behavior.

Here is the image of the mail they sent me:

And after that I sent 2 more mails which they didnt respod in 5-7 days...

I will be filing a complaint to their regulator, but I wanted to warn people to beware when playing at Unibet and see if someone has similar experience...
    • la55i
      la55i
      I have read about this kind of situations before and it seems to be a standard on every poker site that when they decide to close an account they will not tell why and they say that it is irrevocable.

I don't know why they decided to close your account but my guess would be that sending several years old documents which some of them were with Cyrillic letters and a utility bill with your parents name was somehow sketchy for them.

The best way to proceed with this is to contact their Regulator and explain everything well. Also it would be good to have fresh documents with your own name.

I hope you get this sorted out. Keep us posted :f_thumbsup:
    • MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      Originally posted by la55i
      I have read about this kind of situations before and it seems to be a standard on every poker site that when they decide to close an account they will not tell why and they say that it is irrevocable.

I don't know why they decided to close your account but my guess would be that sending several years old documents which some of them were with Cyrillic letters and a utility bill with your parents name was somehow sketchy for them.

The best way to proceed with this is to contact their Regulator and explain everything well. Also it would be good to have fresh documents with your own name.

I hope you get this sorted out. Keep us posted :f_thumbsup:
      I cant get new ID and driving license which are valid the next 8 years just because of Unibet, and as I said bills are last months. I know a couple more guys which had their accounts blocked, but they had 50-100 euros on it, so they didnt bother. I really think they should be punished for this kind of behavior. They should be the one approaching me trying to resolve any problem they think there is. Instead of that, they just closed my account without any explanation and now they wont answer my mails. It is a great stress and inconvenience and I really hope people will realize how unprofessional they are and stop playing there...
    • la55i
      la55i
      You don't have to get new ID if yours is still valid. I think your drivers license and last months phone bill should be enough if they can see your name, age and address from those and those are the same info you have on your Unibet account.
    • MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      They are still valid, but problem is that there is no address on ID or Drivers license (in my country those arent written physically on the card but whit chip card reader you can see the address).
    • Shongalolo
      Shongalolo
      Gold
      I myself recently joined Unibet (on the recommendation of this site!) and found out very quickly that this was a big mistake. I was on attempting to log in asked to verify my account. Okay I though, the usual a piece or maybe two of id no problem. Well, the list of documents required was unbelievable. Things like front and back of credit card, despite the fact that no credit card was used for my initial deposit. Want the pin number as well?

In short I considered providing this much data a security risk to myself and decided not to comply. I explained that I was not willing to provide the data and they told me that in this case they would not open my account. Fine, I thought that's their right. Just as it's mine to refuse to provide personal information.

Naturally I asked that they reverse my 200 pound (thank god I went for a small amount) deposit to Skrill and we would forget the whole thing. Seems reasonable right?

Reasonable perhaps but not the way things work at Unibet. Nope they said that it is their right to seize that money and if I don't like it too bad.

Toko
    • MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      Unbelievable! Same thing happened to a friend of mine while opening his account and another friend played for a while, didnt like it and tried to withdraw the money and they did the same thing (the two of them didnt want to bother with it since the amount was 50-100 euros). But, obviously there are many examples like that. One very important thing is that I made about 5.000-6.000 euros of rake in about 2 months and this is how they reward me. How are they getting away with this? They are really terrorists, doing whatever they like and not caring about ordinary people. They should really be punished. I really wouldnt be surprised to see the headlines "Unibet scam, seized 70 millions of euros of clients money and ran away..."
    • Shongalolo
      Shongalolo
      Gold
      To continue above.

Poker Strategy in their ad describes them as a 'world rekown sports book'.

Anyways now I did what I should have done before sending any money. I went to Sports Book Review which is generally considered the standard for rating sports book. Had I done so first I would have saved my money.

They have a long list of complaints of seizing player funds with no explanation ever given. They justify this because it is in their 'terms and conditions'. They reserve the to seize all funds - no reason needed !?!?!

SBR only gives them a C Rating. They recommend only sending money to books with a B Rating or higher.
      A B or higher rating is not hard to get if you run a real sports book. Places that everyone knows such as William Hill, Ladbrookes, Victor Chandler, Bet365 to name a few all of an A+ rating.

Even most books located in suspect places like Central America do better than Unibet. Again places like 5 Dimes, Pinnacle, Heritage again just to name a few all have A+ ratings.

So in the end I guess I have to take the loss. But I do blame myself for not doing better research before sending money.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I'm kind of surprised. I registered to Unibet 4 years ago and I haven't had any problems.
      The account verification is standard. Every poker room ask your ID and some want utility bills to verify your address (they haven't asked me that ever). But asking for pictures of credit card sounds weird. Especially if no credit card was used when depositing. If they want those pictures I think you should at least be allowed to hide the middle numbers and the cvv code.

I suggest you also first try to solve it with their customer support and if that doesn't help you can always send a complaint.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Can confirm that Unibet is a scummy site. Nothing but negative experiences with the customer "support" there and plenty of lost money due to software freezes and disconnection that had nothing to do with my internet connection as other websites and pokerstars worked just fine at the same time. Stay away from that scam site and put your money on a more trusted site instead.
    • MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      Can confirm that Unibet is a scummy site. Nothing but negative experiences with the customer "support" there and plenty of lost money due to software freezes and disconnection that had nothing to do with my internet connection as other websites and pokerstars worked just fine at the same time. Stay away from that scam site and put your money on a more trusted site instead.
      That also happened to me 10 times at least (software freeze), but I didnt mention that because that is small problem compared to these other things. When I sent them mails complaining they responded that they could consider some pay back if it was tournament. When I said that I play cash game 10 tables at the same time, they said that they cant do anything and didnt even apologize, although I lost money only because of their mistake. Really crappy and scummy site. Classic crooks.

This is one image as a proof:

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      wow. This maybe started after they created their own sowtware. WHen they were in microgaming, I was playing there and were no problems with cashouts. Good to know, even if its soft site, whats they point of being soft if cannot cashout.

Btn, how can they even have such a rule to freeze money without explaining.

THats like rule I am able to steal your money. WHich is against a law. You cannot have rules against a law. Or in this country where it is registered - it is allowed to steal money?
    • MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      wow. This maybe started after they created their own sowtware. WHen they were in microgaming, I was playing there and were no problems with cashouts. Good to know, even if its soft site, whats they point of being soft if cannot cashout.

THats like rule I am able to steal your money. WHich is against a law. You cannot have rules against a law. Or in this country where it is registered - it is allowed to steal money?
      I still cant believe. Maybe we will see the headlines like "Unibet seized all their clients money, according to T&C they have the right to do that..."
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by MajorCanon

I still cant believe. Maybe we will see the headlines like "Unibet seized all their clients money, according to T&C they have the right to do that..."
      probably they will not do this for all players.
    • MajorCanon
      MajorCanon
      Basic
      Originally posted by MajorCanon

probably they will not do this for all players.
      They wont, but things they are doing are outrageous. Closing account without any explanation whatsoever, not providing any info, not answering mails, and other awful things... When I hear about things like this, I feel great injustice, I feel so small and helpless... They can do whatever they want... All we can do is spend countless hours and energy (I cant describe how unwell I feel for the last 15 days, I had a fever for the first 2 days), and hope some of the injustice will be undone.
    • NietzscheF
      NietzscheF
      Bronze
      Ughh what a terrible spot, don't get why PS is not putting in some effort to help you out?
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      If this room is so terrible now, they should mention such problems in the review

https://www.pokerstrategy.com/unibet/

and also do not give 9 rating.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      They just closed my account because I contacted customer "support" after getting a weird message when trying to log in to their forum "Unfortunately we’re currently not supporting login for customers from the Netherlands."

Scummy site indeed. Instead of helping and trying to figure out the reason behind this they just closed the account. Now I just checked the 2+2 unibet thread and this is something other users also saw, meaning my account wasn't hacked either. So they just froze my account and asked me to contact police, well police where I live don't give a damn about a potential hacking of an online poker account so the only option would be if perhaps enough people contacted the Malta gaming authority. I sent them a mail and hope more people who have had bad experiences with this site will do the same. I might file a report with the police against Unibet for stealing my money though.