About Microstakes

• Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Gold
      Hi,
      I´ve got a little problem. I play NL4, 6max and I have kinda feeling I´m stucked there. What I want to ask you guys is how I should play. Generally I see 2 options. Going only for value (which means no 3 betting light etc.) or trying to exploit enemies (3 bet, 4 bet light, c bet a lot, re-raising OTT, OTF - simply aggressive style). I really don´t know what will work on my limit. I tried to play only for value, but I was in -5 USD very soon (just one session, so might be verry influenced by factor of luck), but this is my view from my whole experience not just 1 session, though it´s not even more than 100k hands... The problem with being aggressive is, that it´s either very variance or I do it wrong. I was playing aggressive and dropped down - lost about 8BI. However this might be just downswing, other choice is I played too aggro. After this experience I searched on different forums and find out, that 3 bet light and other "advanced" concepts might not be that right for microstakes. So, my question is, would you rather only go for value or try to outplay villains? Also if u can, give some additional tips. I also add my stats, so you can might find where the real problem is.
      17,9/14,9/3bet: 6,2/WTSD: 25,2/Agg%:34,2
      13/14/18/25/16/15 (VPIP from positions - EP, MP, CO, BTN, SB, BB)
      13/13/16/22/13/9 (PFR from positions)
      PS: I ask you to think about it, don´t automatically write "it´s valuetown, fold when they 3 bet etc.". I mean you can write it, but from my perspective, experienced players (you) plays high stakes and quite forget how micros actually are.

Thanks for responses :)
  • 5 replies
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Kinda good solid stats for these stakes! I even have a lower 3bet, probably because Im a AK-flat junky :f_thumbsup:

The thing I find strange is your BTN VPIP. I think it should be above 30% but not sure. It would be better is you post your positional PFR, not VPIP, because there is a big difference between raising the button when its folded to you and VPIP with players already in the pot.

For the strategic part - fire away if a guy has low fold to flop cbet but has high fold to 2nd barrel.
      Also float when a guy has high cbet but low second barrel.
      Bluff the guys who seem like know what they are doing, but with a good representation. If you dont rep anything why would they fold?
      Never bet without a hand or equity a guy with high went to showdown.

Keep an eye for fish bets. Even the best high stakes players when playing the micros make the mistake of sometimes folding their gutshot when they get extreme good pot odds!
    • la55i
      la55i
      I have to say that you sound like you have no clue how you should play. I suggest you start from the bottom and start learning the basics.
      For me your pre flop stats look way too tight. You can be opening a lot wider but you have to know what hands to open and from which positions. You can 3bet a lot because at the micros ppl will fold too much vs 3bets (you should have value and bluff 3bets and that 6% is definitely not too much).

First you should start with developing good pre flop ranges. I think ranges made by our coach w34z3l are good. You can find them HERE.
      Alleen86 has put those into a excel sheet that uses macros, it is quite handy :) You can download that from HERE.

When you have your ranges you should also understand what to do postflop and why you are doing something. I think you could start by watching LemOn36's No-Limit Starter Course.
      And when you know the basics you can watch his more in depth video series called Beyond The First Strategy.

Our coach KTU has also great video series. He has short videos about specific hands, like how to play AK or how to play suited connectors. His ranges are a bit different than w34z3l's but I think those might give you some good information. Those videos you can find HERE.

Also whenever you have a difficult hand you should post it to our Hand Discussion board and our members will review it for you and tell you what you could improve.

I also suggest you use one of our Free Poker Money or bonus offers.
      That way you will start getting strategy points by playing poker and you will get access to more advanced material :f_thumbsup:

PS.
      When you have no solid game plan or good understanding why you should do things I think you should forget about those small tips everyone gives you.. They say that "just do X and you will get money" but when you have no clue in which spots you should really do that and why, you will not make any profit.
      When I first started I learned a lot of fancy advanced stuff but just lost money.. Then I went from NL10 to NL2 and started from the bottom and slowly I started to understand the game better.
      If you have any questions, just ask. :gl:
    • Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Gold
      Thanks man, I added positional PFR. When you say high fold to second barrel, what numbers are we talking about? 60+? Same with high cbet and WTSD?
    • Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Gold
      To lassi: I dare to say that I have a clue (at least some :D ). I´ve already been through basics (like why do we bet, PF ranges etc.). Despite that I will definitely go through articles you reffer to, if nothing more I will remind myself what I already know, but I´m pretty sure I will find something new for me. For example that excel PF ranges is awesome, especially the way it´s done. It´s simple, everything at one place and synoptic (thums up to alleen). I believe that my PF ranges have some leaks, so I will strictly follow the excel. I take part in HJ forum :) About strategy points... I play at B-win - I registered there before I found out about pokerstrategy, can I somehow manage to start imputing strategy points now? Anyway thanks that you spend a time with this post :)
    • la55i
      la55i
      I found one video about using a hud: https://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/38065/
      When you use stats you have to remember that stats like fold to turn barrel or WTSD require a big hand sample. And even then you have to know what kind of hands you should bluff and when.
      BTW one more good video series from LemOn is Mind Readers.

Unfortunately you can not link a already existing account to pokerstrategy :( So you have to choose a different poker room.. That is not necessarily a bad thing because there are a lot of good bonus offers :)