Is this bad for my poker game?

• PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      I am learning how to play NL SH but I am also curious in learning how to play FL SH as well, will trying to learn both be bad or maybe help me better understand post flop thinking?
  • 6 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hi Pidkoker

The games are pretty different.

I guess the advantage of fixed limit for post flop play is that you do get to see a lot more flops and play to showdown with a lot more hands, so that may be of some use.

Having said this, you probably don't want to start at SH with FL as it can be pretty variance heavy. If you have a solid enough game you'll get enough out of FR to start with and can move to SH when you start to get a good feel for it. Always taking BRM into consideration of course! :D

At least this is my two cents worth anyway.
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      I have a big enough bankroll for .25/.50 like 2000+ BBs so I know I wont become a winning players right away but I want to work on my game I was just curious if trying to learn both would have a negitive impact on my NL game or vice versa.
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Key PidKoker,

How did you get on with the FL and NL SH ??

I don't like FL even though some pros like Daniel Negreanu swear it's a better game - i find it too hard to get people off draws and various hands with a little show down value ..

The variance is definately a lot bigger too..

Anyway, just curious as to how your doing?

Sabo :club:
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      as long as u treat both games differen't I think it can only help. They are differen't but they are still poker, so playing poker should up your experiance.
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      i think it can only help you as long as you dont cut your nl learning time to learn fl.So if you study your nl like 30 mins for example every day you should continue study for 30 mins nl and add like another 30 mins or however you want for fl.Not study from now on 15 mins of nl and 15 mins of fl.
    • Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      I have just started playing FL SH after always playing NL FR and I see no reason at all it should hurt your game, as mentioned it should do nothing but help your game. I think playing limit has made my game signifigantly more aggressive overall.