Why is one of my tables running so bad?

• TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      Hi!

I am looking for advice what shoudl I look for. It happen to me that if my session is going bad that is caused ussually by one of my tables...

For example yeasterday during the session I was about up to 80BB down (0.5/1SH) and most of it was caused by one table (50BB). I would say according to stats players on that table were bad. E.g. player on my right had VPIP about 70 and went to showdown more than 40%.

But still I was not able to have results on that table. When I went according to SHC my hands were weak, because I newer kicked out any body out of the pot, there was no fold equity on players, more player called my top pairs /overpairs up to the river even with raises when they showed some bottom pair with second hit on river, yeah and all draws got busted on river card ;) .

So any hint for what should I look in analyze of the game? Anybody got same experience? Why I am able finish on one of my tables with +50BB with no problems and other is just terrible? I am not aware that I did anything different (should I?) on that bad table.

It just makes me sad if I do on one of my tables -30BB when all 3 others make me just break even... at best.

Regards

TTT
  • 9 replies
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      The same happened to me very often. Now I just close that table (let's say instead of second rebuy, ~ 25BB down) and looking for another one.
      Why should You stay there when You cannot win a single hand. But let's wait for other opinions.
      Imo is better to leave and start from zero then trying to win what You lost (It never worked for me btw).
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey TTT

You'd know a lot better than I would, but isn't this just (mostly) variance?

I've found there are times when playing the nutters that they just hit cards over and over. The rest of the time they donate.

One other thing that did help me when worrying about this type of thing happening was going through the series of gold articles about playing different styles of opponent - maniac, calling station, etc.

This helped me adjust my play a little so I wasn't tilting when the nutters kept hitting. Sometimes you just start seeing goblins in the mist...
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      I am not completly sure... I am thinking about something like "one table tilt"...

I am not sure but I think it is possible that my game got changed after couple of bad beats on that table and I start to play differently - not the best I can (but only on that table)

TTT
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      mostly its just variance, and/or maybe your table/seat selection wasnt perfect
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      You need to adjust to the players at each table, if you are playing the same on multiple tables that has different types of opponents, then you are not playing optimally. If you feel that it's hard to adjust to a particular table, then just close it or maybe you shouldn't multi-table at all.

Be it bad play or variance, but from my own experience I know that the worst thing you can do is try to "recover the losses" you have made on a particular table by keeping playing at it, because then you are already on tilt!
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by Foxxxen

Be it bad play or variance, but from my own experience I know that the worst thing you can do is try to "recover the losses" you have made on a particular table by keeping playing at it, because then you are already on tilt!
      The same problem I had two days ago. I lost about 50BB at one table. But I didn't leave the table, because I saw that almost every people were fishes. Did I have to leave that table anyway?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Originally posted by Foxxxen

The same problem I had two days ago. I lost about 50BB at one table. But I didn't leave the table, because I saw that almost every people were fishes. Did I have to leave that table anyway?
      Hi TTT241,

most of the time it's indeed just variance. The more loose your opponents are the higher your varaiance is as you play more hands too. So SPeedFANat1c's post above is just a result of that.

Leaving a table which is running very bad if it's not very good is a good thing to do as you could start tiliting on that table (or on all tables) and you often lost a lot hands or you got caught bluffing so your opponents give you even less credit so your semibluffs get worthless and you may even e a losing player at that table if they adept correctly to your play.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kennyxx
      The same happened to me very often. Now I just close that table (let's say instead of second rebuy, ~ 25BB down) and looking for another one.
      Why should You stay there when You cannot win a single hand. But let's wait for other opinions.
      Imo is better to leave and start from zero then trying to win what You lost (It never worked for me btw).
      So true!
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by redskwerl
      mostly its just variance, and/or maybe your table/seat selection wasnt perfect

that statement is very true, the only thing i do when it happens to me is leave the table and open up another one, in general though it's very difficult to be up on every table you're on, that's why most people multi, to spread the variance a little(but you probably are aware of that fact).