[NL2-NL10] need serious sss help

• medhopz
      medhopz
      Global
      hey,
      i know this isn't the right place to post this but i need to make a new account to get strategy points and it might take a while.

i have played about 6500 hands in 10nl. playing sss just like the articles.
      the first 1500 hands were very good. i made about 25$ in 1500 hands.
      but than it all started to go downhill.
      i lost a couple due to bad beats than the tilt started.
      i lost all i earned because of that. that's ok. i'm still learning.
      my problem is i can't win again. i am now down 20$!
      i'll show you a couple of hands that i lost.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $13.05
      UTG2:
      $4.40
      Hero:
      $1.55

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , Q:spade:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, SB calls $0.45, 2 folds.

Flop: ($1.20) A:heart: , 7:diamond: , 9:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.05 (All-In), SB calls $1.05.

Turn: ($3.30) 9:heart:
      River: ($3.30) 5:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.30

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and nines (Ac Qs)
      SB shows a full-house, nines full of aces (As 9d)

SB wins with a full-house, nines full of aces (As 9d)

that's nothing...just the last one i lost

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.90
      MP1:
      $12.20

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , K:club:
      MP1 raises to $0.40, 4 folds, Hero raises to $1.90 (All-In), BB folds, MP1 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($3.90) 9:club: , Q:spade: , 9:spade:
      Turn: ($3.90) 7:heart:
      River: ($3.90) 2:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.90

Hero shows a pair of nines (Ad Kc)
      MP1 shows two pairs, tens and nines (Td Ts)

MP1 wins with two pairs, tens and nines (Td Ts)

AK < TT...ok fine...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $3.25
      Hero:
      $1.95
      CO:
      $7.20

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T:club: , T:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.40, 2 folds, BB raises to $1.55, Hero raises to $1.95 (All-In), CO folds, BB calls $0.40.

Flop: ($4.35) 6:diamond: , 5:spade: , 4:club:
      Turn: ($4.35) K:heart:
      River: ($4.35) 8:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.35

Hero shows a pair of tens (Tc Ts)
      BB shows a pair of kings (As Kc)

BB wins with a pair of kings (As Kc)

TT < AK...ok it happens...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $3.25
      Hero:
      $1.95
      CO:
      $7.20

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T:club: , T:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.40, 2 folds, BB raises to $1.55, Hero raises to $1.95 (All-In), CO folds, BB calls $0.40.

Flop: ($4.35) 6:diamond: , 5:spade: , 4:club:
      Turn: ($4.35) K:heart:
      River: ($4.35) 8:heart: (2 players)

Hero shows a pair of tens (Tc Ts)
      BB shows a pair of kings (As Kc)

BB wins with a pair of kings (As Kc)

TT < AK...again???
      these are my last 4 loses, i can go on and on with a lot more crazier stuff

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $4.45
      BU:
      $15.50

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2:diamond: , A:heart:
      MP2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.35) 4:club: , 3:diamond: , 5:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20, BU raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.00, MP2 folds, BU calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.55) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90 (All-In), BU calls $0.90.

River: ($4.35) 7:club: (2 players)

Hero shows a straight, five high (2d Ah)
      BU shows a straight, seven high (Ks 6s)

BU wins with a straight, seven high (Ks 6s)

hmmm nice call there villain

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.90
      MP1:
      $7.95

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:diamond: , K:heart:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.50, 4 folds, Hero raises to $1.90 (All-In), BB folds, MP1 calls $1.40.

Flop: ($3.90) T:diamond: , 6:heart: , 9:club:
      Turn: ($3.90) 8:diamond:
      River: ($3.90) A:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.90

Hero shows a pair of kings (Kd Kh)
      MP1 shows three of a kind, eights (8h 8c)

MP1 wins with three of a kind, eights (8h 8c)

...don't know what to say here
      and it keeps on happening
      btw i skipped two kicker loses (only 2)

i can show you how my Aces keep on getting cracked, but i think you guys get the idea.
      i have read and re-read the articles and i play exactly like them.
      i should be wining, i am playing 10nl!!!
      what am i doing wrong? and please don't say it's only 6k hands...because this is not going to even out. I think i am doing something terribly wrong.

thanks in advance
  • 7 replies
    • Paznecht
      Paznecht
      Bronze
      Medhopz, I'm now in the very very same situation...it went well until 1500 (in the topic i linked to at the bottom of the post i mentioned 2k hands, but now i looked closer at the graph and its rather 1,5k) hands...exactly the same number...and made also ~ 20-25$

my BR is somehow like this (didnt start at 50$ actualy here, the start is at ~20$, now the BR is at 5,8$)

to see some samples of my hands look here Uhm, well...:/

There just must be something wrong, when we both ended winning at ~1500 hands of SSS
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Medhopz

I also play sss on NL10. Sss can be a bit swingy sometimes. It sounds like tilt might be your biggest problem. Once you see your self going on tilt you have to stop playing and do something else and come back fresh.

Just looking through your posted hands here. Looks like standard play to me. The 1010 hand I might just fold there and only play that hand from late position. But Im a really tight player too. LOL. The A2 hand think Im re raising all in after button raises just to make sure its heads up.

It is possible theres leaks in your game. But from the hands you have posted thats basic short stack play. You just got unlucky there. Theres days where I loss almost every race but theres days where I win almost everyone but most days lie somewhere in the middle.

What are your stats? Most importantly vp$ip and preflop raise percentage.

For me so far this month think I've been as high as +$20 after about 2k hands but the next 2k hands I was down to about -$5 and the last 2k hands Im up to about +$12 again. Its been pretty swingy this month so far but im going good right now.

Later
    • exorcism
      exorcism
      Bronze
      nicely played...

same advice for the A2 hand though... shove on the flop
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Oh well, I must admit I have my doubts about SSS too. But my doubts are than I really think it can be profitable even thought numbers at least for me say the opposite.

After more than 30k hands I was in $-20. But oh well, when I was learning I didn't play so good, and I was tilting a lot, etc.

So, what I did was to create a new database in elephant, start again from "zero" (I mean it was bad for me to see everyday that ugly downswing at the beggining :P ). I plan to play my best SSS for 50k hands in NL10 at pokerstars, keeping there even if I reach the BR for NL25 (which I dont think that will happen soon, as I'm starting with less than $50 :P ) and then evaluate SSS, if I don't end with positive numbers or if I bankrupt before reaching the 50k hands, I think I'll give up with the strategy.

So far I've already played 1k hands, and I'm in $-10, its quite funny I've lost incredible hands like a set of Aces, set of kings TWO times. I'm actually in negative numbers with KK and QQ (AA is positive, but not that much). But ofc this is a tiny size of hands and I'm sure I'll win a lot in next 49k hands! ;)

Look at these hands:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1,90
      UTG2:
      $12,50
      MP2:
      $2,25
      CO:
      $2,50

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:heart: , K:club:
      UTG2 raises to $0,20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0,20, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,20, BU folds, Hero raises to $1,90 (All-In), BB folds, UTG2 calls $1,70, MP2 calls $1,70, CO folds.

Flop: ($6,00) 5:diamond: , 6:diamond: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0,35, MP2 calls $0,35 (All-In).

Turn: ($6,70) 4:spade:
      River: ($6,70) K:spade: (3 players)
      UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6,70

Hero shows three of a kind, kings (Kh Kc)
      UTG2 shows a straight, seven high (7d Jd)
      MP2 shows a straight, eight high (7c 8d)

MP2 wins with a straight, eight high (7c 8d)

Can you believe TWO players calling my preflop push with such bad hands? and the one with the weakest hand ending winning the pot.. amazing lol

And this is the winner one: (I can't believe how many hands like this I had in the same session lol)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG1:
      $10,00
      MP1:
      $28,35
      Hero:
      $1,65

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , A:spade:
      UTG1 raises to $0,40, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0,40, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1,65 (All-In), 2 folds, UTG1 calls $1,25, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($3,85) A:heart: , 4:spade: , 8:heart:
      Turn: ($3,85) Q:spade:
      River: ($3,85) Q:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3,85

Hero shows a full-house, aces full of queens (Ad As)
      UTG1 shows four of a kind, queens (Qc Qh)

UTG1 wins with four of a kind, queens (Qc Qh)

I had a 96.26% of winning the hand on the flop. Oh well..... at least in this hand villian didn't misplay :rolleyes:

So my advice... ofc besides the obvious re read articles, post hands, etc. is to play calm and avoid tilting as much as you can, for example I hope and would love my pocket kings would always get called by 78o and 7Js and than my pushes with aces would always get called, this time I lost but I'll win a lot next time.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello, medhopz!

What you're experiencing is a downswing and it's happening to all of us and it's common part of poker. Last weak I had a huge downswing myself I went down 40 buy-ins performing SSS, I was losing literally everything by playing correct, like those hands you posted, but guess what 2 days ago my DS stopped and I recovered 20 buy-ins already. So, what I would like to tell you is the fact that results are not of much importance in poker, what important is is that you make the right decisions/correct play and if you continue in such a way the results will come sooner or later.

Btw, if anyone doubts whether SSS works, yep, it does, but when you start with it you still make mistakes and those mistakes come costly in the long term. So, what you need to do when you're having a DS is study more, analyse your played hands more and play a bit less, unless you feel you can perform your best play. Because you really put yourself and your BR in danger if you go on tilt and lose more money than just the money that is consumed by a DS.

Another thing I think it's important, many people try some moves because the situation seem right(steals, squeezes, LAG postflop play in freeplays etc.) and they think they can make some extra money, but usually this leads you in marginal situations which you're not familiar with and it costs you money. So, my advice would be to decide about your play style before you start playing and if you play NL10 e.g. and you think steals are not good for you, then don't do it, no matter what, stick strictly to your predecided strategy and don't deviate.

I hope this helps...
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      This is a forum for sample hands only, so i will only talk about them :)

Pls dont post more than 1 or 2 hands per thread, with so many hand we never get a useful discussion started
    • Paznecht
      Paznecht
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngolPoker
      This is a forum for sample hands only, so i will only talk about them :)

Pls dont post more than 1 or 2 hands per thread, with so many hand we never get a useful discussion started
      it was originaly in "beginner's questions", who knows why was it moved