Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG mazette53 ($11.69)
      CO vanHouten11 ($2.97)
      BTN guillaume6934 ($3.38)
      SB HERO ($1.06)
      BB marifa ($1.86)

Pre-flop: ($0.03, 5 players)
      mazette53 calls $0.02, 1 fold, guillaume6934 calls $0.02, HERO calls $0.01, marifa checks

Flop: 3:club: 2:spade: 6:club: ($0.08, 4 players)
      HERO bets $0.06, marifa calls $0.06, mazette53 raises to $0.32, 1 fold, HERO calls $0.26, marifa calls $0.26

Turn: 5:club: ($1.04, 3 players)
      HERO checks, marifa checks, mazette53 bets $1.52, HERO goes all-in $0.72, marifa goes all-in $1.52

River: 4:spade: ($4.80, 3 players)

Final Pot: $4.56
      mazette53 shows: 9:spade: 9:heart:
      HERO shows: 8:club: 9:club:
      marifa shows: Q:club: 2:club:

marifa wins $4.56 ( won +$2.70 )
      mazette53 lost -$1.86
      guillaume6934 lost -$0.02
      HERO lost -$1.06

- - - - - - -

Was it best to fold to flop raise or do you consider this just a bad luck? I could have also raised pre-flop, but I didn't want the pot to get too big before I saw the flop, because the BB was hyper aggressive (that's what made me call the flop raise because I was 75% sure I will get him allin if I hit). I was ready to call a small raise pre-flop, but didn't want to raise myself so I don't get re-raised. And we're never sure the preflop raise would have saved me, because Q2s seems to be a very strong hand to these people - it's suited after all :-)
  • 4 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      First of all. Don't play with a crippled stack. Always re-buy to 100BB. If the platform where you play has the "Auto rebuy to max" feature, always turn it on. It's more profitable to play with your full stack. Playing with half a stack is not good.

It's better to just complete on the SB. 98s is not a good hand to be played out of position. So be happy to see the flop so cheaply and just complete the blind =)

Don't open raise the flop like that. Especially since it's a 4way pot AND you're out of position. You can't have ANY idea of what your opponents have. And with a raise like that, you gotta rely on fold equitiy. Check and call a raise if you get the right odds.

As played, if you're sure you can get them all in when you hit your flush, it's alright to call.

But again, don't open raise the flop. You're better off check/calling in a limped 4way pot out of position.

Cheers
    • doshiindia
      doshiindia
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. I get your point about check/calling the flop. I guess I would get enough fold equity against one opponent, but not three, right?

I'm on iPoker so there's no auto rebuy as far as I know. I was playing with 50BB though I'll try buying in for 100BB from now on. It allows to buy in for 250BB max but I'm definitely not going to sit at four tables $5 each with a $50 bankroll :-) 100BB is the best option i believe.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Yeah, dont buy in for 250BB. 100BB is a good amount =)

You see, the problem with a midstack like 50BB is that you get pot commited way too easily and you do have a good hand, you can't extract enough value from it.

Its better to choose to be a shortstack with 20BB or a bigstack with 100BB =)

If you're starting with poker now, I'd advise you to start as a shorstack, whereas if you've already got some experience with poker, you can go for the bigstack strategy. It's up to you to choose =)
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      you should always play full stacked this is the only way you can get the maximum value from a good hand . if your bankroll dont allows you to play 200 bb deep then play 100 bb . but thats the minimum
      as played i fold the flop
      you dont have the odds to call and you dont have implied odds either because your small stack size
      gl