made hand - definition

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Silver
      Problem when playing turn and river when I have initiative.

There is strategy:

Turn:

NOBODY HAS BET YET AND YOU HAVE THE INITIATIVE
      You bet with ...
      Any made hands like top pair or better.
      Draws, if you have 2 opponents at the most.

River:

YOU HAVE THE INITIATIVE

You bet with any made hand.

I found in the articles "Single pairs also fall into the category of made hands.
      " So that means if I have any pair, I have a made hand and in the situations above I should bet.

I alse found another thing from quiz:

QUESTION 3: How do you play pairs which are neither top pair nor an overpair?
      a) Bet and raise as often as you can.
      b) Bet or raise once. If a raise comes after you, call.
      c) These are not considered as made hands. They are deemed worthless and should be played accordingly.

The aswer says that if the pair is neither top pair or an overpair then it is not a made hand. So that means in the situations above I should bet only with top pairs or overpairs.

So what is the truth? :)
  • 3 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey SPeed

Just my take, but assuming you're just starting out and playing full ring, top pair only qualifies as a made hand.

The point of this is to keep you out of trouble and/or difficult spots with underpairs or second pairs.

While you're learning, stick with betting with top pair / top kicker type hands and you'll do well. Playing other pairs will just put you in marginal situations where your decisions are much less clear.. potentially costing you money.

I hope this helps. :)

Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Problem when playing turn and river when I have initiative.

There is strategy:

Turn:

NOBODY HAS BET YET AND YOU HAVE THE INITIATIVE
      You bet with ...
      Any made hands like top pair or better.
      Draws, if you have 2 opponents at the most.

River:

YOU HAVE THE INITIATIVE

You bet with any made hand.

I found in the articles "Single pairs also fall into the category of made hands.
      "So that means if I have any pair, I have a made hand and in the situations above I should bet.

I alse found another thing from quiz:

QUESTION 3: How do you play pairs which are neither top pair nor an overpair?
      a) Bet and raise as often as you can.
      b) Bet or raise once. If a raise comes after you, call.
      c) These are not considered as made hands. They are deemed worthless and should be played accordingly.

The aswer says that if the pair is neither top pair or an overpair then it is not a made hand. So that means in the situations above I should bet only with top pairs or overpairs.

So what is the truth? :)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Silver
      Thanks, this helped me :)
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi SPeedFANat1c,

Waiboy is right.

In the article they talk about toppair or better on the turn. On the river you are still in the same hand so the "play any made hand" is just the short part of "play any made hand which is toppoair or better".