How to stop making bad moves?

• doshiindia
      doshiindia
      Bronze
      I was thinking about posting more hands for people to evaluate when the ingenious idea came to my mind - I know my mistakes. I even knew them before I clicked the wrong button (it's mostly a wrong "Call").

So then understood this is not a technical problem of how to play this or that, it's all about psychology.

You all know these situations of normal betting going throughout the hand and then like a 1.5x - 3x pot sized bet from a villain. We all know we are beat by then but we make that call because that stupid over-bet simply "doesn't fit". I instantly realize I did the wrong thing, no need for showdown, but I'm already in with my money by then..

Has anyone any thoughts or links to the material I should read to start avoid these terrible moves? They are ruining at least 50% of my win rate.
  • 11 replies
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Use something to watch your sessions over again and realize your mistakes so you can stop making them before they happen. Also take a little bit of time before you make your move remember all clients give you some time before you have to make a move. But I think you should either make a video or use something to review your sessions and you can see the mistake and think about WHY you made that move. I used to have this same problem you have to slow down your moves and actually think about them and don't choose an action before your opponent even acts because that is just a bad idea will lose you a lot of money.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      I had the same problem and you know what helped me? I started counting to three in my mind before clicking - it made me avoid following the instinct if you know what I mean. When I started this counting thing (even when the call was obvious - I needed the routine) I found out that those instinct-driven calls were happening less and less frequently and now I don't need to count at all.

I know it sounds weird but it helped me actually.
    • doshiindia
      doshiindia
      Bronze
      Originally posted by radyan111
      I had the same problem and you know what helped me? I started counting to three in my mind before clicking.
      Nice one :-) I think this could really work. Will try, though it's not that easy when playing four tables at once. I don't like iPoker for they only give you some 15s to act with no option to take some additional time.

You can see however in my blog I made what I feel a good fold today that took a lot of nuts to make (folded pocket AA on KK3 flop after being check-raised). But now I'm happy with that. Some time ago I would have 3-bet allin that flop and then think to myself "I knew he had K9+"..
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      I also think 3 seconds is good idea. impulsive moves are -EV. is there a script available for this? ;)

posting hands is still a good way to do it. just think every hand is going to go on a website and hundreds of people are going to see how big a fish you really are! save's me a few $$ sometimes :-)

like phil gordon says - if you find you are not getting bluffed out of pots at all, then you are calling too much.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by doshiindia
      Originally posted by radyan111
      I had the same problem and you know what helped me? I started counting to three in my mind before clicking.
      Nice one :-) I think this could really work. Will try, though it's not that easy when playing four tables at once. I don't like iPoker for they only give you some 15s to act with no option to take some additional time.

You can see however in my blog I made what I feel a good fold today that took a lot of nuts to make (folded pocket AA on KK3 flop after being check-raised). But now I'm happy with that. Some time ago I would have 3-bet allin that flop and then think to myself "I knew he had K9+"..
      Sounds like a terrible fold? :p
    • thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      I've decided that I rather time out and be folded then make an impulsive decision that will cost me.
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      let me tell you about the most pleased i found myself today. it was when i folded AA on the flop.

turns out that i was ahead but the turn and river would have crushed me as the board was too wet

a few hands later i didnt do the same and lost to an idiot caller. but surely it is a sign of improvement.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      I still have this problem every now and then too. But it's getting lesser and lesser. You're playing a great session and then you screw up all your winnings in one call for all your chips when you pretty much know you're beat. It doesn't happen verry often to me anymore, but still sometimes.

The problem with me - and I think it will be the same for you :) - is that I'm not really making a dicission when it happens. It's more of an uncontrolled (read tilty) action. And you can tilt when running good too. The problem is you're getting too emotional. You don't want to loose a pot you probably put a decent size of your stack in. You're too attached and care too much about the money.
      What really helped me with this is realizing how big I can beat the games. If you really realize you can beat the game you're playing, you won't really care about folding a hand you invested a lot in.
      You know you can win it back. Especially when multitabling it's more easy to not care too much. And start thinking that making good folds is winning money too!
      Hopefully you will spot these situations more and more and avoid them by changing the uncontrolled action into a controlled one.
      Anyway, that's what my problem was. When you think of it, it is really really stupid to blow money away when you pretty much know you're beat. It can make an otherwise great session into a break even one.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      I glued a post-it at the bottom of my screen and wrote "retard of the day:...." on it. so far there have been several days when my name was on it so I can't miss it when I'm about to make a wrong call ( it's green on yellow :P )
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishuq
      I glued a post-it at the bottom of my screen and wrote "retard of the day:...." on it. so far there have been several days when my name was on it so I can't miss it when I'm about to make a wrong call ( it's green on yellow :P )
      lol like it. Think i might do similar but just have the word "FOLD" on it :rolleyes:
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      You all know these situations of normal betting going throughout the hand and then like a 1.5x - 3x pot sized bet from a villain. We all know we are beat by then but we make that call because that stupid over-bet simply "doesn't fit". I instantly realize I did the wrong thing, no need for showdown, but I'm already in with my money by then..
      Most people suck at poker. Even more people think they are good.
      Dont put their mistakes on your shoulders. If you know you are beat, let it go. You are trying to beat an elephant with a toothpick. Wait untill you have a railgun, then punish them for their stupidities. :)

I don't like iPoker for they only give you some 15s to act with no option to take some additional time.
      Are you sure theres no box that says "time", you can click on to get more time? I think 15 seconds is a fair ammount of time, unless you can with a hand on your heart say you always use 14.5 seconds to think about what button to click. ;)