Short Stack Strategy - Needs to be more developed?

• RedDress
      RedDress
      Bronze
      Well, I just want to share with you with my observations.

I've played SSS for few weeks already and it's really great and accurate guide how to play lower stakes. But don't you think it can be developed a way more?

For example there are more hands that can be played simply because SSS doesn't mention the number of players who enter the bet. Having QJ is a definite fold according to the SSS chart but what if you are at the best position ever and have only 1-2 opponents left on the blinds? The probability of winning is indeed very high.

Also I have noticed that the raising rule doesn't work very well if you enter a table with people playing safe (not necessarily other SSS players). For example if everyone in front of you check and you are at the button, raising x4 BB will result in wasting very good hand since in majority of cases the rest of the players (in this case blind spots) will fold.

Well just wanted to ask what do you think? Do you apply your own corrections to SSS or strictly follow every rule? And most importantly do you think it could be more developed?
  • 3 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello RedDress,
      Its good that you are taking the initiative to think about developpement in the SSS.But be advised:
      The basic version of SSS is a very strict strategy.Its all you need to beat the micro stakes though.As you progress, your rank will allow you access to articles to more advanced type of SSS.You will implement steals and resteals into it.You will also start to play with stats on opponents and adjust your ranges based on theirs.In fact, the science of shortstacking goes so far, that as I was watching a 10/20$ SSS video the other day, I was wondering if it is an SSS Im looking at,that much the coach had to adapt to the table.
      But take one step at a time, and master the basics before you look to the advanced stuff.
      Enjoy the pokerstrategy system, its specially configured that you have access to articles, videos and coachings for your level just when you need them.
      And yes, good luck at the tables!
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      the basic SSS strategy is extremely far from being optimal, but what did you expect, you can pretty much memorize the whole thing in 10 minutes and it requires close to no thinking at a tables :)

i guess if you're just starting out and you play like NL10, its fine, they'll make so many mistakes on average that you can be profitable with the basic SSS strategy
    • zubrils2
      zubrils2
      Bronze
      Yea basicly u need to learn the very basics of poker playing SSS and after a while u can make ur own developements when u move up the stakes. There is nothing said about that it won't work if u for example start to steal more from late positon if u observe that players in blinds r tight. Or mb u can 3bet sometimes a bit looser if u see that someone at the table is too active and his range is pretty wide.

So there is no need to put too much into new players head just because they will have hard time swallowing it.