4 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

CO HERO ($1.97)
      BTN angelKGB ($3.01)
      SB Spermapistole ($1.95)
      BB hotensw ($0.83)

Pre-flop: ($0.03, 4 players)
      HERO raises to $0.08, 2 folds, hotensw calls $0.06

Flop: 9:diamond: 8:spade: 6:diamond: ($0.17, 2 players)
      hotensw checks, HERO bets $0.10, hotensw calls $0.10

Turn: 6:club: ($0.37, 2 players)
      hotensw checks, HERO bets $0.10, hotensw calls $0.10

River: 3:diamond: ($0.57, 2 players)
      hotensw checks, HERO checks

Final Pot: $0.55
      HERO shows: A:spade: K:heart:
      hotensw shows: 5:diamond: Q:diamond:

hotensw wins $0.55 ( won +$0.27 )
      HERO lost -$0.28

- - - - -

I didn't expect him to fold the turn, so the bet was a pure value bet. Was it?

It worked perfectly this time (except for river card, but I felt proud of myself even after he took the pot :-)), however should this be (carefully and reasonably) applied at NL2?
  • 2 replies
    • caltabiano
      You can't really value bet high card, cause you can't expect that people will call you with a worse hand. For a bet to be a value bet, you have to get your opponents to call the bet with a worse hand so that you extract value from it, thus value bet.

Your opponent was actually the favourite to win the pot. He had 18 clean outs against you. Three 5's, three Q's, nine :diamond: 's (including the 7 :diamond:) and three 7's.

He'll hit one of these over 60% of the time down to the river. So he's a major favourite.

High card doesn't give you any money, there's no value betting with high card, because you can't extract value from weaker hands.

On this hand, I'd c-bet something like 0,12 on the flop. But I wouldn't bet again on the turn. I'd check behind on the turn and check behind on the river if possible. I'd fold to a raise
    • radyan111
      You're not value betting here, the best you can hope is that draws will call you and miss. And with your bets you're giving them great odds to call you. And if the missed draws are the only hands that can pay you can't bet the river. If he has the draw that missed you win anyway. If he hit you're just losing money.

I can even think of check/folding the hand on the flop on this board.