!Excelling in poker, sports and life - a blog to keep me focussed!

• mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      :heart: Hey guys, :heart:

this will be my blog for the "Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge".

First of all a short bio:

I am a 24 year old german and currently still studying "Philosophy and Economics". Furthermore I am the captain of my local amateur soccer team and from time to time I am going to the gym aswell.
      Until now I played poker just for fun and never had a professional approach to the game. My big problems were always the mental game, tilt and bankroll management :why: . Besides the monetary goal I have to set, I want to become a better player, dont go broke and stick to brm. On the tables I just use Jivaro Basic and don't have any other software so far. To reach my poker goals I am going to play SnGs and MTTs only on PokerStars.eu!

BRM:
      :spade: 50BI for SnGs
      :heart: 100BuyIns for MTTs and hyper turbo SnGs

:diamond: Current Bankroll: 40,06USD :f_drink:
      :club: Bankroll goal: 4000,00USD :s_drink:

!I will just start the challenge and update every monday with the current bankroll status and what I want to achive in the next week!
  • 20 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Good luck :f_drink:
      I suggest maybe you can also set some other goals beside monetary, like studying time, ICM training, etc.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello mauzface,

Welcome to Pokerstrategy.com and to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Regards

Matt
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      Hey stevegold87,

what do you suggest? How can I improve? and how much should I study?

thank you for the advice!

mauzface
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

first six days of my bankroll challenge have passed.

:spade: Starting bankroll: 40,06USD
      :heart: Current bankroll: 78,64USD (+38,58USD) [img]https://pl.vc/1mm8pd[/img]
      :diamond: Bankroll goal: 4000,00USD

:club: Games played the last week: 179

At first I started playing the 0,50$ 9max Sit and Gos, but just discovered, that I dont like the structure that much (no ante until the very late stage). So I mainly played 45max, 90max and some 180max 0,50$ Sit and Gos. Unfortunatly I was getting extremly drunk on Friday, and hang over the whole Saturday, so I missed playin Friday and Saturdays evenings. Nevertheless I nearly doubled my roll and thats a good start. I just downloaded this app "Snapshove" but I am only using the free version, so I can train a little bit of shoving spots. My goal for the next week is to more then double the played games. I want to play 400 at minimum. I really need to work on my play with 15-25BB ... I have problems with stealing and restealing spots at this stage and don't know where to call or reshove profitibly.

Kind regards,

mauzface
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello mauzface ,

Good start to your bankroll challenge :f_drink:

I really need to work on my play with 15-25BB ... I have problems with stealing and restealing spots at this stage and don't know where to call or reshove profitibly.
      I would recommend having a look at Preflop Strategy (2): Open Pushing Charts found in the Sit and Go beginners section.

I look forward to future updates.

Regards

Matt
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      Hey guys, :f_drink:

it just has been a week since I started the blog, but I want to make several adjustment according to the goals and the approaches for achiving the goals. If I want to proceed in poker then I have to work on my mindset, work on my game and my strategies and work on me as a person. My monetary goal will still be the same, but I think, if I work on all the other goals that I willset - my bankroll will grow automatically.

These are my new goals for this blog:

1) get better in strategy, ICM, rangeconstruction and nash p/f
      2) work on my mindset and learn to see poker as a business - become more and more professional in my approach to the game

I am aware, that one only reaches goals by going step by step - so I am going to formulate smaller goals and this blog is going to be the control mechanism for them. There will be an update on all my reached goals and new goals on every monday.

So let's start ....

My schedule and goals until monday 21.11.2016:

wednesday:
      -watch a coaching video here on pokerstrategy.com (How to crush multitable micro SnGs by C.Moshman)
      -read and work my way through the SitandGo Strategy section (I just bought silverstatus today)
      [watching the vid and reading should take approx. two hours]
      -grind the micros for four hours (6tabling)

thursday:
      -watch a coaching video here on pokerstrategy.com (How to crush micro stt's by C.Moshman)
      -work 9am to 5pm
      -read and work my way through the SitandGo Strategy section for one hour
      -soccer training
      -four hours of grinding after the soccer training

friday:
      - go to the gym for an hour in the morning
      - work 9am to 2pm
      -watch a coaching video here on pokerstrategy.com (dunno which one yet)
      - 6 hour grind in the evening

saturday:
      - go to the gym and sauna for two hours in the morning
      - watch a coaching video here on pokerstrategy.com (dunno which one yet)
      - read the post "The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Your Poker and Life Productivity " by Schnitzelfisch
      - grind; grind; grind

sunday:
      - sundays are normally matchdays for my soccer team, but maybe the match will be canceled because of the field conditions (wether, temperature, etc)
      - grind, grind, grind in the evening

:diamond: :club: We will see where this goes. See you on monday.:spade: :heart:

mauzface
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      wow, Solid schedules and goals mauz, I am positive things will go well for you :) . :f_drink:
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      @stevegold87 thank you for the support! I will do my best!
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      Hey guys, :f_drink: (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME)

second week auf my bankroll challenge just ended. I just doubled my bankroll again (mostly by playin 1,5$ 6max turbos). I discovered that I really like the 6max format and I want to keep on playing hypers and turbos.

But what happend during the last week:

POKER: I watched a lot auf training videos here on pokerstrategy.com. Especially the video by C.Moshman on how to mass multitable helped me a lot. Before I played 6 tables tile. - Now changed to stack tables and play up to 12, but I want to find out what the best amount for my hourly rate is.

FITNESS: On Saturday I went to the gym with my sister, she is a fitnesscoach and semipro crossfitter, and we worked out a fitness schedule for me. I dont want to go into detail, but my fitness and sports schedule looks like this now:

gym: MO, WED, FRI
      soccer: TUE, THRU, SUN
      break: SAT

I will break down my poker schedule for the next week in a later post this evening (after gym), but I really need to buy a HUD programm and ICMizer in the near future (hopefully next month or sooner). I want to study and learn ICM spots as good as possible and want the review keyhands and get my game step by step forwards. There is so much I have to work on and I have to figure out how to improve in certain things. I need every 6max turbo and hyper content that is availible (so if you got anything..please share it with me). The good thing is that I am motivated as hell: I think about poker all day long and want to improve every day.

:heart: Last weeks bankroll: 78,64USD
      :club: Current bankroll: 168,35USD (+89,71USD):profit:

Games played the last week: 359

I will update next weeks schedule later. Off to the gym now.

MAUZ
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      SCHEDULE 22.Nov-28.NOV

22.NOV:
      # work from 9 to 5
      # soccer training
      # work out my opening ranges for all levels/stages of a 6max turbo
      # 1hour poker session

23.NOV:
      # 1 hour of gym
      # read about Pokertracker and ICMizer to get to know what is best for me and how much it will be
      # watch a training video
      # grind;grind;grind
      # watch the C.Moshmann Sit and Go Cruster Academy in the evening

24.NOV:
      # work from 9 to 5
      # soccer training
      # watch a training video
      # 2 hour grind session

25.NOV:
      # 1 hour of gym
      # clean up my flat
      # grind; grind; grind

26.NOV:
      # buy groceries for the next week
      # watch a training video
      # grind; grind; grind
      # maybe going to the christmas market with a friend

27.NOV:
      # soccer game (I am suspended due to my collection of too many yellow cards, but will support my team)
      # watch a training video
      # grind;grind;grind
      # write a birthdayletter to my ex-girlfriend (havent talked to her for some time)

28.NOV:
      # check what I achieved according to my weekplan
      # write my blog here on pokerstrategy.com
      # think about what went wrong during my session and how to fix it. work out my leaks and work out how to fix them. then make a plan of action.
      # 1 hour of gym
      # grind; grind; grind

daily:
      # just one cup of coffee in the morning (I was drinking way too much coffee)
      # read one chapter of my new book per day

MAUZ
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      Aaaw, another German Sit and Go and MTT player! Very cool and we share the same leak:

I really need to work on my play with 15-25BB ... I have problems with stealing and restealing spots at this stage and don't know where to call or reshove profitibly.
      I personally should steal more, I leave too much value by folding hands. My restealing gets a bit better. If the CO or the BU raise mostly it´s a steal. You can start restealing with hands that have some potential like suited connectors, suited broadways, low and middle pairs, Aces like A9s, ATs. I think the problem in our limits is that many "stealing" Villains are calling your resteal because they think their hand is good. That´s what I experienced. You have to spot those who can fold on a resteal. Villains with VPIP 50/PR 30 you cannot attack, they will simply call and that´s it!

With 15 BB and less I usually start to jam, even without antes, if the table is very loose and Villains call your stealraises. It´s sometimes the only way you can steal and generate fold equity.

I was drinking way too much coffee
      Okay, I see we share another "leak" :f_biggrin: :f_ugly:

Your birthsday was on 21.11? (Happy Birthsday), mine was on November 20th :f_biggrin:
    • CypherPrime1
      CypherPrime1
      Basic
      after dumping $70 at 2nl zoom in less than a month i jumped on some tournys. yester day i played 18 150 fifty 50. i net profited over 20usd. what do u think about this game
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CypherPrime1
      after dumping $70 at 2nl zoom in less than a month i jumped on some tournys. yester day i played 18 150 fifty 50. i net profited over 20usd. what do u think about this game
      20usd profit in 18 games is def. a nice upswing. I think you have to be good and keep practice ICM very good in the 50/50s. Hope you keep on rolling @cypherprime1
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      Hey guys, :f_drink:

my update is some hours late this week. Its because I got suffer a damn hard illness the whole week.:f_mad: I was playing a lot, but my amazing run should end sometimes right. I am down like 20buyins of the 1,5$. Dont feel good about it - mainly because i bubbled so oft in 3rd place.
      My goal (drinking just one cup of coffee) ? - I quite the second day :( :( :( :f_biggrin:

Sports is going okay, I stuck to my schedule, but wasnt that productiv because of my illness.

My sister bought me a delayed birthday present (ICMizer YEEEAAHH)! I worked with it for three days with the SnGCoach now and it is amazing. Really like that I can get my latestagegame to the next level! I changed from Jivaro basic to the trial version of PT4 and my next approach will be PT4 in december!

:heart: Last weeks bankroll: 168,35USD
      :club: Current bankroll: 136,75USD :pcuser: (-31,60USD)

[img]https://pl.vc/kfr8z[/img]

Games played the last week: 235

I struggel with these kind of downswings so much and really have to work on tiltcontrol. Fortunatly I didnt tilt (just played one 7$ sng and felt super bad after).
      I want to play much more this week and want to establish some kind of daily poker schedule/routine.

So what does my ideal poker day look like:

-120 SngCoach question in ICMizer
      -1 trainingvideo (I will focus on cashgame to improve my postflop game and HU videos)
      -grind grind grind
      -post three hands per day in this thread (including my thoughtprocess)

PS: Thanks to IvicaIliev77 for his advices and content here. I am sure next week will be better for me and I will make some money!

MAUZ
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      Gute Besserung! (= Get well soon)

Yeah, bubbling often is really very frustrating! I know that. :f_eek: But don´t give up, better times will come.
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      OMG I hardly dare to continue this blog. Yesterday I played...everything went as usual and I was even up some BuyIns. Out of my mind and out of nowhere I played way bigger MTTs 3,30 Bubble-Rush, 5,50 , 7s and 10s. I dont know why. I think doing this so often is my biggest mistake and the reason why I havent run a bigger bankroll in the past. I am down to a little less than 100$. I want to kick my ass...Do you guys have any advice. I downloaded and printed out "the mental game of poker" by jared tendler and I want to read it. It is so frustrating...why do I beat myself. Nevertheless I am not broke and want the blog to continue...which means: Today is "Day Zero" again. I am back at the super micros again and I will share three hands with you.

All three hands were played in a row and at the same table. Its is a 50cent 180man:

PokerStars - 15/30 Ante 4 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 1,103
      SB: 3,897
      BB: 1,448
      UTG: 1,484
      UTG+1: 1,489
      MP: 2,787
      MP+1: 1,391
      Hero (MP+2): 1,448
      CO: 1,438

9 players post ante of 4, SB posts SB 15, BB posts BB 30

Pre Flop: (pot: 81) Hero has J:diamond: J:heart:

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to 90, Hero calls 90, fold, fold, SB calls 75, BB calls 60

Thoughts preflop: "I pick up JJ and got a 3x in front of me. I like flatting here, because it is an early blindlevel and I have position on the preflop aggressor. The problem with raising is also, that some people just like to punt of preflop and I don't always want to get in JJ 50bb deep. The problem with flatting is, that the blinds are invited to join. What are your thoughts on my preflop decision here? "

Flop: (396, 4 players) 5:spade: 9:spade: T:diamond:
      SB checks, BB checks, MP+1 checks, Hero bets 190, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 190

Thoughts on the flop: "The flop gives me an overpair and it gets checked around to me. Obv. I will bet this drawheavy board for protection and information. I go for a little bit smaller than half pot and the preflop aggressor calls. At this point I am pretty sure that I have the best hand, because he would bet his overpairs and Tx most of the time on the flop and sometimes he calls here with 88, 77 or K9/A9 kind of hands. He also plays some backdoor broadwaydraw and a lot of Ax sometimes check call. Your thoughts on my play here?"

Turn: (776, 2 players) 5:heart:
      MP+1 checks, Hero checks

Thoughts on the turn: "The 5 pairs the board and is more or less a blank. In spite of the fact that there are three possible overcards to my JJ, I think it is good to bet the turn sometimes, but I decided to check for two reasons:
      1) Players at the micros often bluff the river, when the turn goes check/check
      2) if he floated the flop with A5 or is slowplaying a flopped set - it control the size of the pot
      What do you guys think about the check here?"

River: (776, 2 players) T:spade:
      MP+1 bets 388, Hero calls 388

Thoughts on the river: "River is the T:spade: , pairing the board again and putting three spades out there. Villain bets half pot and I think we have a pretty easy call here. I am not afraid of the flush, because most of the time Villain c-bets his flushdraws on the flop and also not afraid of a fullhouse for the same reason. The T is a good card for him to bluff, because it makes it less likely that we have a T. Any thoughts here?"

MP+1 shows Q:spade: A:club: (Two Pair, Tens and Fives)
      (Pre 43%, Flop 27%, Turn 14%)
      Hero shows J:diamond: J:heart: (Two Pair, Jacks and Tens)
      (Pre 57%, Flop 73%, Turn 86%)
      Hero wins 1,552

Hand 2) the very next hand

CO: 1,099
      BTN: 3,803
      SB: 1,354
      BB: 1,480
      UTG: 1,485
      UTG+1: 2,783
      MP: 719
      Hero (MP+1): 2,328
      MP+2: 1,434

Pre Flop: (pot: 81) Hero has A:diamond: K:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 72, fold, fold, BTN calls 72, fold, fold

Thoughts preflop: "There is not much to talk about. Of course I open AKo here. Debatable if I should go for a 3x here. I raised to roughly 2,5x here. One of my standard-opening-sizes. Villain on the button calls - both blinds fold."

Flop: (225, 2 players) Q:spade: 3:club: 8:heart:
      Hero bets 108, BTN calls 108

Thoughts on the flop: "Very dry flop with Q high. I c-bet this texture like nearly always. I went for roughly under half-pot here. I would pick the same size for my value and bluffing hands here most of the time."

Turn: (441, 2 players) 2:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Thoughts on the turn: "The 2:spade: is a blank and doesn't change much here. Sometime I would barrel on that turn if I got the A:spade: . I am check/folding here most of the time against unknow and sometimes check/calling against someone I know and depending on the stack depth and betsizing."

River: (441, 2 players) K:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 450, Hero calls 450

Thoughts on the river: "The K:club: gives me top pair. I decided to check because, if I bet I get only value from a Q sometimes and as I already mentioned. People bluff a lot when turn or river went check/check. Looking back I like betting small on the river better than checking, because he has a lot of middlepairs, whcih he floated the flop with and some queens, which are also sometimes checking behind. Villain bets slittly over pot and I call, thinking that I win here most of the time and only lose to KQ and K8s."

BTN shows 8:diamond: 5:club: (One Pair, Eights)
      (Pre 35%, Flop 76%, Turn 86%)
      Hero shows A:diamond: K:spade: (One Pair, Kings)
      (Pre 65%, Flop 24%, Turn 14%)
      Hero wins 1,341

Hand 3) the very next hand again

MP+2: 1,095
      CO: 3,169
      BTN: 1,335
      SB: 1,446
      BB: 1,481
      UTG: 2,779
      UTG+1: 715
      Hero (MP): 3,035
      MP+1: 1,430

Pre Flop: (pot: 81) Hero has A:spade: K:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls 30, Hero raises to 129, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls 99

Thoughts preflop: "Pretty standard raise against the UTG+1 limper. I think the sizing is good - if def would like to get it in pre here, but he calls and has just 1,5x the pot behind."

Flop: (339, 2 players) 7:heart: J:diamond: 8:diamond:
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

Thoughts on the flop: Drawheavy as it gets, hits his range pretty hard and very bad for A:spade: K:spade: . I think checking is best and I don't want to get check/shoved on. What are your thoughts here?

Turn: (339, 2 players) A:diamond:
      UTG+1 bets 169, Hero calls 169

Thoughts on the turn: "I hit top pair, a third diamond on the board and villain is leading into me for about half pot. I think we don't have much choises but to call here. Def. not folding with Top/Top and raising doesnt accomplish much I think."

River: (677, 2 players) K:club:
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 460, UTG+1 calls 413 and is all-in

Thoughts on the river: "I river top two pair and Villain checks. Maybe he was just trying to steal the pot on the turn , but people normally don't do because the A hits my flop checking range, or he has some kind of showdownvalue. I am pretty sure that he has no flush or straight at this point because he would bet them most of the time on the river, when we seem to have an Ace here. So I put him allin for nearly 3/4 of the pot."

Hero shows A:spade: K:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Kings)
      (Pre 75%, Flop 71%, Turn 84%)
      UTG+1 shows 9:spade: A:club: (One Pair, Aces)
      (Pre 25%, Flop 29%, Turn 16%)
      Hero wins 1,503

I hope you will give me feedback on my hands. I want to do this daily from now on. Maybe not always three hands, but at least one hand. I will keep on going now and grind my way back up. I really have to work on this fu***** tilt. Hopefully you can give me some advice and Jared Tendlers book will help me out.

So far...

MAUZ
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      The first hand: JJ

I think flatting is absolutely correct with JJ at those eary stages of the tournament. If someone shoves (which is possible in a 50cent-tournament), JJ is an easy fold.

The flop comes with 5 9 T

Here a bet with JJ is obligatory: 1) The flop is wet and gives opportunities for draws. In 50cent tourneys - you know - many people call with whatever-suited or connected. You are very often against drawing hands. Here, we have to bet for protection and value, so 2) You know, in 50cent tourneys many people use to call with something like middle pair or bottom pair or even ace high. We want them to pay!

I would bet a little bit higher, at least 200, in this spot I would bet 250 for the reasons mentioned above.

The turn comes 5

Villain called your flop-bet, this 5 is very probably a blank. Two 5s are blocked so it is unlikely that Villain is holding a 5. He showed that he is willing to call, I would bet for value, like half of the pot.

The river is another T and altough two tens are blocked and the chance that Villain is holding a ten is low I think it´s time for pot control here because we have to consider that 50cent players love to play broadway hands like QTs, KTs, ATs, they often overplay then, call pf raises or even 3bets with them. The ten could probably fit in his range so I would just call here too.

The second hand: AK

Well played! Villain calls your c bet, AK didn´t hit the flop, we have just ace high. Let´s take a free card on the turn. As I mentioned above, many people in the micros can´t let go middle or bottom pair. A bet makes here no sense. We can´t push a better hand out of the pot and no worse hand will call us here. So to check is the best decision.

River: K

Whohooo we got lucky! We took the freecard and the river brought us TPTK. This hand is of course too good to fold but not good enough to raise. Only a call is just fine (pot control).

The third hand: A K

pf absolutely standard raise with AK.

flop: 7 8 J

This is not a good flop for us. It´s very wet and here we shouln´t c-bet. AK missed the flop we have nothing but ace high. So we decide to check, take a freecard and see what happens.

turn: A

Villain starts to bet. He is short and the chances that he made his flush are low. I would check-raise here. Villain is pot committed, he has to / or will shove anyway and we have a strong hand, we are the big stack. If he made his flush: so be it! We have still enough chips if we loose.
    • mauzface
      mauzface
      Bronze
      My bankroll recovered a little bit because I cashed the 1mio freeroll in 2000th or something place for 30$.

One hand costs me most of my stack....if I had won this suckout...the freeroll could had become a giant boost to my BR. Unlucky in the wrong spot....

PokerStars - 3000/6000 Ante 600 NL - Holdem - 9 players

MP: 22,709 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      MP+1: 14,248 (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)
      MP+2: 137,634 (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
      CO: 36,927 (VPIP: 19.23, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 26)
      BTN: 26,588 (VPIP: 15.38, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)
      SB: 15,984 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
      BB: 31,880 (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 5)
      UTG: 16,697 (VPIP: 36.36, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
      Hero (UTG+1): 30,242

9 players post ante of 600, SB posts SB 3,000, BB posts BB 6,000

Pre Flop: (pot: 14,400) Hero has A:diamond: A:spade:

UTG raises to 16,097 and is all-in, Hero raises to 29,642 and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 25,988 and is all-in, fold, fold

Flop: (82,473, 3 players) K:diamond: 3:spade: 7:club:

Turn: (82,473, 3 players) T:spade:

River: (82,473, 3 players) 5:spade:

Hero shows A:diamond: A:spade: (One Pair, Aces)

Main Pot [62,691]: (Pre 64%, Flop 8%, Turn 0%)
      Side Pot#1 [19,782]: (Pre 79%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)

BTN shows 7:spade: 7:heart: (Three of a Kind, Sevens)

Main Pot [62,691]: (Pre 18%, Flop 87%, Turn 74%)
      Side Pot#1 [19,782]: (Pre 21%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)

UTG shows J:spade: Q:spade: (Flush, Queen High)

Main Pot [62,691]: (Pre 17%, Flop 5%, Turn 26%)

BTN wins 19,782
      UTG wins 62,691

!neverlucky
    • molderz
      molderz
      Bronze
      nice blog mate, will folow Your updates ;)