Let's work hard! Motivational blog!

• novakovici
      novakovici
      Platinum
      I really don't want this to be a long post about how once i was good at this game then i f*cked it all up! Long story short, started grinding from 2012/2013, was moving through the micros quickly, started playing NL50, switched cities, had some personal problems, did not calcualte my spendings and there i was, without a bankroll. Oh, and i guess i must admit after all that i had a bad mindset, was not prepared for downswings, i thought i was very good when in fact i was just mediocre i guess, or at least nothing special.

But hey, i've restarted my grind, i was lucky enough to still have friends in poker community, even though how i treated some of them i wouldn't be suprised nor insulted if they gave up on me. I've started all the way back from NL2 and now i am at NL 10 and this time i want to give it a one final shot at this career. It's 2016, poker is not that easy as it was when i first started, but i am one of those idiots that never does anything easy.

Also one important notice, i live in a country where you can actually live an okayish life with NL10 grind and have in mind that i do have to withdraw money here and there. Unemployment is very big here, and most of the jobs i can find are shit and pay less than monthly NL10 income. I study something on the side, hoping to secure myself a backup career if once again i do not suceed at this.

So yes, maybe it's not the wisest of the choices but it's not all about money ( mostly it is though :D ), and to tell you the truth nothing i ever did or tried doing has made me feel like studying and playing poker and applying the concepts you learn into your game. So for the first time in my life i will not listen to others, or try to fit in by doing what everyone wants from me, and i will have one final go at this.

So why am i sharing this with you, my dear stranger ? Well, i used to have a blog back in the day, and it gives me motivation, setting challenges and trying to complete them. When i set it in my own mind with only me knowing it, i can cheat, be lazy and i can lie to myself how i did not have the time or resources.
      When i set a challenge on a blog, it makes me work harder, simple as that :D

Last month i had a crazy profit of 320 euros at NL5 games, mixing 888 poker and Ipoker, so i started playing NL10 this month. It is going okay, but for the first time since my restart i've had 3 bad days in a row and i feel that feeling of self doubt that ruined me in the first place starting to come back, so i decided to motivate my self with a blog, although i was planning this blog for some time now. Since it's almost end of November i will not post any challenge for December yet, and for the rest of November i would like to :

1 . Play more hands. Last month i played around 50k hands, and this month only 24k so far. I was out of town for few days but still i think i should have played at least 30k by now. So i would set my challenge to 15k more hands in the last 6 days of November. ( if i go into a bad run i will ofc stop this challenge and take a break ).

2. Spend 1.5h in the last 6 days of November on coaching videos. I was doing this at the start of the month but i got lazy in the last few days.

3. Think of a good challenge for December, something to get me motivated ( would appreciate any advices ).

That's it, if you have any questions or advices feel free to post! Oh and yes, anyone interested in seriously studying the game and doing reviews of sessions on skype, feel free to message me for skype.

GL HF :f_drink:

• 10 replies
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello novakovici,

Welcome to Pokerstategy.com forums :f_thumbsup:

What ever your skill level PokerStrategy.com has lots of great articles and forums to help you make the most of your game.
      I would certainly recommend refreshing your self with the basics as a lot of strategy has changed since 2012!
      NL10 is a great place to be right now. I have just moved down in my BR from NL25FR to NL10FR and I am learning a lot from going over the basics and applying it to that format.
      Where are you from? In fact, why don't you get yourself added to our Member map. You never know, the nearest PokerStrategist may live right next door. :f_p:
      Below are some articles and threads you may find interesting.
      Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!
      perfect intro to multi tabling
      5-point plan: From break-even grinder to winning player
      The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Your Poker and Life Productivity

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
      Good luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt
    • novakovici
      novakovici
      Platinum
      Ty for the post, i've added myself to the members map!
      Now, i've read a few blogs on the site i see everyone posting graphs and i forgot to do that. I have purged hands from NL5 and NL2 since i had loads of them that i don't use and they just slow down my database.

October graph

November from 1st to 24th ( day i started the blog )

Stats on last 40k hands

Stats November 1st to 24th

Graph on all 40k hands i have in my database

I will try to update my blog every start of the week, also posting the hands where i won/lost the most. At the start of december i will post how things went these last 5 days of the month and will also post December challenges!

Enjoy your weekend, grind hard! :pcuser:
    • novakovici
      novakovici
      Platinum
      A little update :

Since the start of the blog i was really focused and motivated, and had great 4 days. Actually, 3 great days, last one was a fucking disaster. I have decided to stop the challenge with the number of hands and i am thinking of challenging myself in "hours played". Reason is that i think it would be much better for me to play with the great table selection, meaning i would sometimes reduce the number of tables and avoid regfest tables. It was an advice i got from my poker friend, to table select properly, focus on hours played rather than hands played and never to sit to the right of the fishes, always be in position. I've followed his advice and i must say, it had a big impact on my game, profit etc. Before i wouldn't mind being OOP vs the fish, but since i implented that into my game and thought process i have been doing really well.

Here is a screenshot of all my sessions since the start of the blog

As you can see it was great up untill last night. It started with the 3 BI lost ( 1.5BI was my pure bad play, made 2 terrible calls OTR ), then i took a break, thought about how there are so many bad players at the tables since it was sunday, and continued playing. I think i made some regs angry with how i have been playing this month vs them ( started exploating a bit more after reviewing the hands with my friend who plays NL100 and had some good advices ), and they really started spewing from the blinds shoving some unusual hands for them, one 19/15 nit shoved AQo/TT from the BB and hit his wonders vs my KK/QQ, so my session went to -5BI. Profit for 4 days is 61E, still good, but i am very sad that i took that major blow. I decided to go to bed very early last night, and not let the tilt bother me all night. One thing i will challenge myself in December is probably going to be my sleeping routine, i will try set goals for that as well.

So thats it untill december challenges, i will cancel this 15k hands challenge, it's a good thing i tried it at least, i realised that it's too many hands for 6 days, and that volume won't help me that much with building the bankroll as table selecting and keeping focused on the game rather than amount of the hands will. For the rest of November i will try to bring up my bb/100 as much closer to 10 as i can, keep table selecting and doing hands reviews with my friend from the higher limits and watching asimos and w34z3l videos.

GL to everyone this week, let's crush them!:f_cool:
    • Eatyourpeas
      Eatyourpeas
      Bronze
      Following, good luck Sir!
    • novakovici
      novakovici
      Platinum
      Ty for the follow!

Ok so here is the November update. I will first post screenshots then talk about the month, and more importantly plans for december!

Overall

Graph

Leakbuster

So as you can see not a great month really, i was hoping to play a lot better and be more focused in the last few days of the month and i did exact opposite, turned on the auto pilot, called of light 35/7, 40/2 players too much. I also had 2 really shitty days where i ran so bad, and i continued playing anyway, my profit was around 180e for this month and 2 days ago i lost 5BI in one day, becuase i refused to stop playing when it was obvious i was running really really bad.

So here are some things i really have to do in December if i am going to do anything at this game :

1. First thing, get up before/around 12AM for at least 25 days in this month. I have a really bad sleeping schedule, and i do have some falling asleep problems. I am quite a hyper person, and i also love drinking coffee, i drink 3 cups usually per day and i have to drop down to 1-2 per day this month, get some physical activities and improve my sleep patterns and sleep in general. Also when i get up early i can play 4 sessions per day instead of 3. Also i will focus on my food more, and try to completely stop with junk food, cook myself and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables

2. Now poker related, play the minimum of 110 hours of poker, and keep table selecting properly, so focus more on table selection and hours instead of hands played. Spend the minimum of 4 hours per week studying the game, reviewing the hands with my friend, and watching videos.. I used to play one MTT per day along with my cash session since it always seemed fun to me. It took me 3 years of being an idiot and doing that to realise that it is very wrong approach. I will now completely stop doing that ( as i already have past 7 days ), and never mix cash with MTTs. It's a different format and i only have 5min breaks every one hour and i do not like that. I will on every sunday evening play few small MTT's with the buy in for that session for the price of 1-2 BI of my current NL level. I will save my cash sessions that way, and still have a little bit of fun with the MTT's. I will also stop following my bankroll and how the session is going during the play, it affects me a lot, and i will only check it if i think that is a big losing session.

3. Update my blog every monday, and maybe post little updates with some hands every 2-3 days. I guess it will keep me focused on the challenges, and as a reminder to stop auto piloting and start focusing on every session seriously. I will also opt in into Get Rich or Die Trying for some more motivation and to keep this blog alive. I know i will most likely not succeed fast because i also withdraw money from the bankroll, but let's aim high!

Current bankroll : 324 EUR
      Goal : 2000 EUR

I will not post hands from November now it will just make this post very long, but will come again in 2-3 days with most winning/losing or some interesting hands.

GRIND ON BROTHERS!
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Matt
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Welcome also from my side & keep crushing/start crushing!
      Greetings from Gibraltar!

SvenBe
    • novakovici
      novakovici
      Platinum
      Quick monday update

Sessions since starting the challenge

2 biggest winning hands

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $9.70 (97 bb)
      MP: $15.14 (151.4 bb)
      Hero (CO): $12.61 (126.1 bb)
      BTN: $10.22 (102.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :Ah: :Ac:
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN raises to $1, SB folds, BB calls $0.90, Hero raises to $2.30, BTN calls $1.30, BB calls $1.30

Flop: ($6.95) :7s: :Qc: :Qd: (3 players)
      BB bets $7.40 and is all-in, Hero raises to $10.31 and is all-in, BTN folds

Turn: ($21.75) :9c: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($21.75) :6s: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $21.75 pot ($1.81 rake)
      Final Board: :7s: :Qc: :Qd: :9c: :6s:
      BB showed :4s: :4h: and lost (-$9.70 net)
      Hero mucked :Ah: :Ac: and won $19.94 ($10.24 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$2.30 net)

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $29.61 (296.1 bb)
      MP: $24.12 (241.2 bb)
      CO: $9.51 (95.1 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $11.78 (117.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with :Ks: :Kd:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) :5h: :Qh: :2s: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.51, BB raises to $1.02, Hero raises to $2.95, BB calls $1.93

Turn: ($6.55) :Td: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $8.53 and is all-in, BB calls $8.53

River: ($23.61) :Jd: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $23.61 pot ($1.96 rake)
      Final Board: :5h: :Qh: :2s: :Td: :Jd:
      BB showed :9s: :Qs: and lost (-$11.78 net)
      Hero mucked :Ks: :Kd: and won $21.65 ($9.87 net)

2 biggest losing hands

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

SB: $12.45 (124.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $14.13 (141.3 bb)
      CO: $10.52 (105.2 bb)
      BTN: $7.20 (72 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :Kd: :Td:
      2 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) :Kh: :3h: :Kc: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.60) :4c: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.40, Hero raises to $3.80, SB raises to $11.65 and is all-in, Hero calls $7.85

River: ($24.90) :7c: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $24.90 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: :Kh: :3h: :Kc: :4c: :7c:
      SB showed :7d: :7s: and won $22.90 ($10.45 net)
      Hero mucked :Kd: :Td: and lost (-$12.45 net)

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $16.85 (168.5 bb)
      BB: $8.98 (89.8 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $10.40 (104 bb)
      MP: $8.73 (87.3 bb)
      CO: $10.29 (102.9 bb)
      BTN: $14.78 (147.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with :Ah: :Qd:
      Hero raises to $0.30, MP folds, CO raises to $0.50, 2 folds, BB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($1.55) :Ad: :9s: :5s: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $0.50, BB folds, Hero raises to $2, CO raises to $3.50, Hero raises to $9.90 and is all-in, CO calls $6.29 and is all-in

Turn: ($21.13) :7c: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($21.13) :5h: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $21.13 pot ($1.76 rake)
      Final Board: :Ad: :9s: :5s: :7c: :5h:
      BB mucked and lost (-$0.50 net)
      Hero mucked :Ah: :Qd: and lost (-$10.29 net)
      CO showed :Ac: :As: and won $19.37 ($9.08 net)

This AQ hand is vs 95/55 3bet almost 60 villian

I didn't play MTT's on sunday, just played one, i was feeling very tired and i don't feel like i am running good so i decided not to test the variance, and just played one 10e MTT to chill. I cashed in in that one for 15e. Also one day i just got a message from the poker client that i got 19e bonus ( no idea what for ). I did not withdraw money during this period. I am very tired atm and this update will be short, i will hopefully write a bit more in the next one around friday.

Week one :
      Hands played in the last 5 days : 4.8k
      Bankroll : 324 - 9.5 profit + 19.5 unknown bonus + 5e MTT profit = 339 EUROS
    • novakovici
      novakovici
      Platinum
      Bleh very bleh.

Graph since last post

Overall since last post

Very shitty week. I will not say too much because only thing i can do is moan about my run and that is not the right thing to do. I need to improve a lot, stay focused and grind harder.

Things to focus on : Check RFI ranges, be more agressive 3bet more, especially IP and check 3B ranges as well, and i really really need to stop light calling min raises vs with TPGK and similar hands.

Hands played since last post : 10k
      Hands played this month : 15.2k

Bankroll : 339 + 1.84 - 25e ( withdrawal ) = 315 EUROS
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      How is everything going the last 4 weeks with poker?

Hopefully everything went well for you and good luck this year :gl

Cheers,
      SDK1987