This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

AK or 44?

• Ray3zor
      Ray3zor
      Bronze
      Which hand would you rather be dealt - Ace, King (suited or unsuited) or a pair of fours? With AK you have the potential for a strong hand. With 44 you have a made hand.

I know it depends on circumstances - if you're a big stack or short stack, in a full ring game or playing heads up, in a cash game or tournament.

But as a general rule of thumb which hand would you prefer?

:)
  • 7 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I like AK more you know two high cards and all.. :D HU is 44 stronger than AK though..
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      44, because it's so easy to play :tongue:
    • armababy
      armababy
      Bronze
      44 preflop

But generaly they are about same :)
      If you don't hit any of your high top pair you fold on raise.
      And same with 44 if you don't hit set you probably fold it also in 90% of case.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      What kind of question is that?
      AK ofc, since you almost always are ahead of opponents range.
      With 44 all you could hope for is a flip.
      Makes playability way easier.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      AK because you can put pressure and force 44 to fold. But in a multiway (4+) pot I'd like 44 more.

Did I win anything?
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      It depends what I'm playing. If I'm playing SSS, tournaments or fixed limit I prefer AK. If I'm playing deep stack NL I prefer 44.
    • vaseka
      vaseka
      Bronze
      It really depends... for tournaments AK is way better. Its simple to assume that in all in situation with AK is either 50:50 or you are favorite (unless AA or KK are against you) with 44 you are geting either 50:50 or you are way behind!!!

If you talk about cash games I would really prefer 44 in an avareage multi-way pot!!! the reason is: if you hit ... you hit BIG and in a multi-way pot you get all the action you want. And if you don't its so easy to fold. Two very good reasons to preffer small pocket pairs.

AK is a very tricky hand.... espasially out of position against more than one oponent. Even if you hit the A or the K and if someone reraise... its so hard to fold the hand but its hard to continue also.... espacially if I play against players like me which would reraise even with second pair (in possition!).