[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR: AQ to call or not to call

• pumpkinx
      pumpkinx
      Bronze
      Should i call the river bet here?
      And did i bet enough on the flop or would a pot sized bet be better?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $3,30
      Hero:
      $25,30
      MP3:
      $9,70

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: , Q:diamond:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,40, 3 folds, BB calls $0,30.

Flop: ($1,25) 8:spade: , 2:club: , Q:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,70, MP3 calls $0,70, BB folds.

Turn: ($2,65) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,90, MP3 calls $1,90.

River: ($6,45) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $3,60, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6,45
  • 7 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I'd bet 0,80 on the flop. Same on the turn. And then I'd blockbet 2,50 on the river and fold to a reraise. I think a worse Q might be calling you. But if you get reraised he probably hit the flush or maybe 2 pair
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      You may bet a bit bigger on the flop I guess. 0,8$ to 0,9$ would be my shot.

I'm check/calling this turn for pot control and if he checks behind I'm check/calling THIS river and bet/folding others. If he bets on the turn I'm check/calling a reasonably sized bet on any river.
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      You can bet a little bigger, but generally it's fine imo.

I wouldn't check/call the turn because you're missing out on a lot of value/not protecting your hand.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      So you're basically playing for stacks here, cause if you bet bigger flop (0,9$) and turn (let's say 2,3$ in a 3$ pot) the villain is commited on the river and you can't let it go for half potsize bet. Am I wrong? And then - I don't like playing for a whole stack with my tptk.

I can bet 3 streets for value against passive calling station or against a fish but against an unknown player I prefer a pot control.
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      The problem with check/calling is that you're allowing draws to play correctly by giving them favourable odds to see two cards.

Not only that, but if your opponent holds a weaker queen, you're losing value when the flush hits because he will probably check behind.

If he calls you on two streets in your example he has 6.10 left with a pot of 7.65, over 3/4 pot. You can't find a fold if he shoves? Especially this river, which is one of the worst.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Well, the board is not THAT drawy - there's only a flushdraw available. And he still makes a mistake by calling me on the flop if I bet bigger.

And then the turn - by checking I might induce a bluff from a floater, a pocket pair or get some value from weird second-pair type of hands or weak queens which he folds to my bet.
      I assume I'm not playing against a total fish cause I don't know the guy, but against a player who's able to fold some of his range.
      In this situation the guy calls what makes me think he's on a flushdraw or QT+.

On the river you're right, he still has more than I thought he would have (I was just estimating on the spot). But anyway - any reasonably sized bet in that spot means he has to bet half or more of his stack - so he'll just shove. And if you fold it just seems... hmmm... exploitable to me. This flop is really ugly and the fold seems to be justified, but do you fold to any club on the river? You call his shove on a non-club one?

Dunno, I'm probably wrong here, but thanks for your posts anyway Jumbles, made me think about it all a lot. Good luck man ;) .
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      theres no reason to pot control the turn . you lose too much value from draws and worst queens
      problem is on the river when the flush completes
      i dont like check calling at all because he isnt beting a queen here almost never
      i prefer check/fold or blocl bet 3.2/fold but never check / call .