My Poker Story

• DTCC1
      DTCC1
      Bronze
      I'm creating this thread at the end of my first session, I will update it with some more info later but I've put the basics in before I head off to sleep.

So, I've been playing online poker on and off for a few years. I started out with the $50 free from pokerstrategy some 5? years ago. From this I built up to $250 at the end of last year and withdrew half of it. Since then I haven't played at all. I estimate my lifetime hands to be around 300k but I don't have my old databases to check. I mostly play for fun as and where I can and would like to see how far I can take myself while staying profitable.

Over this time I've played mostly NL2 - NL5 with the occasional punt towards NL10-NL25. I played the shortstack strategy FR for some time untill it was made unviable by the 50bb min buyin and have been playing 6max ever since. I've never attempted STT or MTTs as I believe the strategy to be more complex due to uneven stack sizes, BB/stack ratios and therefore a constantly changing optimal play style. The time constraints also don't interest me, I enjoy dropping in and out of cash games as and when I please.

Tonight I decided to give it another go. Picking up where I left off with my $125 bankroll I started with NL2 as I always do. This is to ensure I am playing profitably and I will slowly increase my limits. I try to play 10k+ hands as a minimum before moving up and stick within my bankroll.

My first session went reasonably well:

Except for the loosing hands near the end, I don't if my play was good or bad but it felt right at the time with us both being overstacked:

PokerStars Zoom Hand #162797856508: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2016/12/11 22:20:01 UTC [2016/12/11 17:20:01 ET]
      Table 'Halley' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
      Seat 1: DTCC2 ($3.58 in chips)
      Seat 2: gbpltwrjivfh ($3.92 in chips)
      Seat 3: UlianKnows ($1.85 in chips)
      Seat 4: murr71 ($2.20 in chips)
      Seat 5: 72odonkey ($2 in chips)
      Seat 6: Mohnatum ($2 in chips)
      gbpltwrjivfh: posts small blind $0.01
      UlianKnows: posts big blind $0.02
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to DTCC2 [9h Th]
      murr71: folds
      72odonkey: folds
      Mohnatum: folds
      DTCC2: raises $0.04 to $0.06
      gbpltwrjivfh: raises $0.14 to $0.20
      UlianKnows: folds
      DTCC2: calls $0.14
      *** FLOP *** [Ad Jd Ah]
      gbpltwrjivfh: checks
      DTCC2: checks
      *** TURN *** [Ad Jd Ah] [5h]
      gbpltwrjivfh: bets $0.24
      DTCC2: calls $0.24
      *** RIVER *** [Ad Jd Ah 5h] [Qh]
      gbpltwrjivfh: bets $3.48 and is all-in
      DTCC2: calls $3.14 and is all-in
      Uncalled bet ($0.34) returned to gbpltwrjivfh
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      gbpltwrjivfh: shows [Qd Ac] (a full house, Aces full of Queens)
      DTCC2: shows [9h Th] (a flush, Ace high)
      gbpltwrjivfh collected $6.93 from pot
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $7.18 | Rake $0.25
      Board [Ad Jd Ah 5h Qh]
      Seat 1: DTCC2 (button) showed [9h Th] and lost with a flush, Ace high
      Seat 2: gbpltwrjivfh (small blind) showed [Qd Ac] and won ($6.93) with a full house, Aces full of Queens
      Seat 3: UlianKnows (big blind) folded before Flop
      Seat 4: murr71 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 5: 72odonkey folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 6: Mohnatum folded before Flop (didn't bet)

I would appreciate any input you all have.
  • 2 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      hello DTCC1

It’s nice to see that you have started a blog. If I look to this hand I would fold pre-flop T9s here on his big 3bet. I expect you will be in bad shape most of the time against his 3betting range. Off course you will play this hand in position, but I don’t think it will be easy to play this hand profitable post-flop in the long run.

As played It’s already tricky to call the turn with only a flush draw, but the river will be a fold or you have reads he can shove there with worse than a full house, but I expect you will be to often beat to call his shove profitable.

Good luck with your blog and improving your game :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • microstraddler
      microstraddler
      Bronze
      Thanks for posting your story.
      I also play NLHE2 and have been looking for other player on the same level to discuss poker.

Real solid first session!
      Do you multi-table or do you single-table zoom?
      How long was the session?

I only play full-ring tables, may I ask why you prefer the 6-max tables?

On the hand:
      I would also fold this hand to the 3bet pre-flop, if no reads/stats on the villain.
      Playing the position pre-flop is understandable but you also have to give him some credit for the 3bet and fold the turn.
      The river is unfortunate. But in the end, best hand wins the pot. ;)

I look forward to reading your blog. :)
      Cheers!