[NL20-NL50] AKo bad play?

• Mudrinjo
      Mudrinjo
      Bronze
      I think that I played like crap this hand. No matter that I won it.
      I think this kind of idiot i will not find often...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $25,10
      MP3:
      $19,66

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , K:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1,00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $3,00, BB folds, MP3 raises to $8,00, Hero calls $5,00.

Flop: ($16,25) 2:spade: , 5:diamond: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $6,00, Hero raises to $12,00, MP3 calls $5,66 (All-In).

Turn: ($39,91) 8:heart:
      River: ($39,91) Q:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $39,91

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows high card ace with king kicker (Ad Kc)
      MP3 shows high card ace with queen kicker (As Ts)

Hero wins with high card ace with king kicker (Ad Kc)
  • 8 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I fold AKo agains 4bet pre. But then it's shorthanded and I play full ring :P
      I think you gotta either fold against 4bet or go broke preflop. I don't like calling a 4bet to see the flop, cause then you're basically bound to go broke on it. So just do it pre =)

As played:
      If you're gonna go broke on that flop, then just lead out yourself for his whole stack. He's not gonna fold $5,66 on a $34 pot. Lead out for maximum fold equity. You're not winning this one on the showdown. The only thing you can hope for is a split and I still find that hard.
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      I shove 5bet AK pre. Definately vs non fullstack players.

The flop play makes no sense vs decent players as you create 0 fold equity.
    • Talic
      Talic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Diedobal

If Villain 4bet minimum/to $6 I'm folding, from my personal exp. that means AA.

I dont like shoving AK pf. against unknown either, but here it is probably the only possible way too play thi hand
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      Either shove or fold preflop.

Call is the worst you can do. After you call, you are pot commited and you will miss the flop 2 of 3 times.
    • Talic
      Talic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Michailewic
      Either shove or fold preflop.

Call is the worst you can do. After you call, you are pot commited and you will miss the flop 2 of 3 times.
      absolutely right, but be aware that it can get swingy!
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Diedobal

Yeah.Nothing to add
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      You can fold, or shove, certainly not call. You're OOP. You make a pot that is bigger than villains stack, and you can shut yourself out of seeing turn and river.
      The strength of AK, combined with it's FE is almost always good enough for a shove. Only if villain is 10/6 or something you can drop it easily. Also, since you relly highly on FE, I suggest making your 3bet a bit bigger. 3.5x is perfect.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      My standard play here is shove pf.
      With AK I don´t like trap people and once they 4-bet a lot of times they stack off with any pp or AQ+.
      Shove is better here, since player is kind of pot committed and would call your shove a lot of times with weaker hands. You don´t need to get to the flop to get money all-in.