2017 MTT Grinding!

• samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

In an attempt to take poker more serious in 2017, I decided to launch a new blog which allows myself and others to track my progress. 2016 has been my best year ever in poker and I'm going to try and top that in 2017 by finding a good balance between my pokergames, me studying poker and my life in general. But before we start the year-end's festivities, let's look back at 2016.

2016 Throwback:
      I restarted my poker career after a 2 year break in May. I deposited 25€ and decided to try and run this up (going broke was not an option as I would quit poker again). After a few ups and downs, I managed to get to 500$ in like 2 months. From that, it's all uphill, with the following as most notable results:

• 4th in The Big $7.50 for 1269$
      • 1st in $5.5 Turbo KO for 895$
      • 4th in $5.5 Jab for 643$
      • 2nd in $16.5 6-Max for 717$
      • 2nd in $4.4 Bounty Builder for 780$
      • 5th in $33 Bubble Rush for 844$

These are the most important final tables. I played 31 final tables this year and the best one was 2nd in the Sunday Storm for 19.000$.
      The most disapointing day of my pokeryear was very recent. I became 10th in the Big 22 and 14th in the 109$ Uppercut (in which I qualified) for a combined total of around 600$ which had accumulated firsts of aprox. 20k$.

I ended the year with a net profit of around 24k$, of which I cashed out a bunch. Why did I cash out? I don't beat the stakes I can play with this roll and I wouldn't feel comfortable having this kind of cash online.

2017 MTT Grinding

The new title of my blog is going to be "2017 MTT Grinding". Reason is pretty simple, this is going to be a one year blog of my MTT journey in 2017. I'm going to use a very tight bankrollmanagement and try to stick to it. I'm going to keep track of my progress in this blog but I probably won't be blogging everyday, since that is not really my thought of a blog. I prefer doing a longer update less frequently so that's basically the plan. I'm going to put more time into studying too. Not sure yet how I'm going to plan this but I'm working on something.

QOTD: Would you peeps be interested in buying action of my games, knowing that I'm okay at the stakes I play (around 22$-33$ BI level) with an around 10% markup? If so, I might be putting up weekly packages exclusively on Pokerstrategy. For example, I'm home from work the first week of the year and I might put up a package for the entire week. LMK!
  • 44 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Good luck and the best wishes for 2017 :gl:
      That 2017 will be even better than this year.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      05/01/2017 - 2:50am WE MADE 1.46$/H TODAY!!!

Team...

The year could have started worse, don't get me wrong. We played 79 games this year so far and we managed to make a final table and even reach HU in it. It was the 5.5$ PSKO which had around 1.1k up top. We finished second though after a very disapointing heads up run (we had him dominated 5:1 at one point) for around 650-ish including bounties. Not a bad score to start of the year. That was yesterday. Up until that point we had a boatload of mincashes but nothing special, so we were up like 500$ after our HU.

Today was a new day and with the newfound confidence of the deeprun we started our grind today. It started off great by running deep in the first two tournaments we started. The Mini Battle Royale (the 11$) and the 16.5 Bubble Rush. We finished 19th and 18th in those. What a time to be alive, right? :f_o: Ah well, shit happens right. We took a small break and at 9pm, we restarted our computer for the evening grind.

Plan was to play the Mini BR (22$), take a little shot at the 33$ BB and some smaller majors on the side. That plan went straight to hell when the Jab decided to bomb me a chipleader after 2 hours of play. I kept on regging turbo's which basically put me down 100$ for the day. In other words, we had work to do but we were confident to win 1.5k in the Jab. UNTIL we lost an enourmous pot with KK, which I couldn't have played worse I think. I held on, doubled once but in the end busted in 16th place.

So, 19th, 18th, 16th, going uphill right? Good news, as we were 7/150 in the Hot 7.5. Two flips and a A9 < J9 to close it off though, sealed my faith at another devastating 33th place. So we were up like 22$ for the day after 15 hours of play. I said it before, what a friggin time to be alive!

Funny sidenote about my second place finish yesterday, look how close I was at busting at one point. This was final 15:

Anyway, we can conclude the year started okay, close to hitting the 9k bankroll again so we keep on grinding. Tomorrow, I'll probably play my last big session of the week, with the early edition of the Mini Thursday Thrill etc. Usually, after a boatload of deepruns, you get a win so PokerStars, a cheecky little victory in the Thrill would be much appreciated.

To end the day, I'm going to post a Youtube link of the music I usually listen too while streaming! For today, Samni out!

• SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      subbed! in before Sunday Million ship...
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Cheers Sven!

Another couple of days have passed and not really exciting stuff going on pokerwise. Running pretty terrible and my bankroll is shrinking to the 8k$ mark at this point. Nothing really to worry about but I am planning to scratch some games from the daily schedule (like the 33$BB). Swings are very high on these limits and I really believe people underestimate variance, especially when you can only play on PokerStars (like me in Belgium). Bigger fields mean bigger variance so you really need to keep that into mind. At this point, I'm using around 700 ABI as my BRM but in the near future, I might be inclined to increase that number to around 1000.

Interesting hand: folding trips, are you INSANE?

No Limit Holdem Tournament
      PokerStars6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter
      Stacks:
      UTG Player6 (3,582) 45bb
      UTG+1 Player1 (6,571) 82bb
      CO Player2 (3,483) 44bb
      BTN Player3 (2,356) 29bb
      SB Player4 (2,720) 34bb
      BB Hero (12,075) 151bbBlinds: 40/80 Ante 10
      Pre-Flop: (180, 6 players) Hero is BB :8h: :Jd:

Player6 raises to 160, 3 folds, Player4 calls 120, Hero calls 80

Flop: :Ac: :8c: :8d: (540, 3 players)
      Player4 checks, Hero checks, Player6 checks
      Turn: :3d: (540, 3)
      Player4 checks, Hero bets 275, Player6 calls 275, Player4 folds
      River: :Ks: (1,090, 2)
      Hero bets 575, Player6 raises to 1,440, Hero folds
      Final Pot: 3,105
      Player6 wins 3,970 (net +2,085)
      Player4 lost 170
      Hero lost 1,020
      Preflop easy defend with the J8o, it plays okay postflop and it's pretty easy on the flop to decide whether you want to continue with the hand or not. We flop pretty good, with trips on an A-high board threeway. It's very likely someone has flopped an ace. Checking to the agressor seems pretty standard but he checks back which is kind off odd. His range is very pocket pair heavy. I don't see him checking back an ace on this flop unless he has two of them.
      Turn brings a meaningless :3d: At this point I want to build a pot because I'm pretty confident I'm good here. UTG calls, what do we learn from this? I see him having alot of AA, KK, QQ, JJ (maybe TT). We need to take into account that he might have an ace but thats pretty unlikely.
      River brings a :Ks: which isn't the best card as now there are less hands that we beat. I still decide I need to valuebet though. QQ and JJ might want to hero me cause my line isn't the strongest. When he raises river, it's when it becomes tricky. I eventually decided to fold as I felt like I was not beating ANY of his valueshoves (KK, AA, A8s, 33 (although thats not very likely). Only real hand I see us beating at this point is QJ of clubs that turns his hand into a bluff. I don't see him raising KQ of clubs as he might be good on this river.
    • Pannekoekk86
      Pannekoekk86
      Gold
      Nice and interesting blog.... defently will follow this
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Bronze
      Very nice! Will be following closely. Good luck!
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Cheers Guthans and Pannekoekk, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :f_drink:

I've got a package online for next Friday, if you are interested, be sure to check out this link. :f_thumbsup:
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      This post will not only be for advertising-value but here we go: WE HAVE 15% OF OUR MTT PACKAGE LEFT THAT STARTS IN 12 HOURS!!! GO CHECK THAT SHIT OUT!!!

On-topic. Had alot of deep runs lately but none of them ended in a final. Thats obviously quite disturbing as the deepruns make you money IF you manage to finish them. There's alot of possible reasons for me not being able to finish these deepruns, just to say a few:
      1 - Playing long sessions make me feel tired?
      2 - I don't adapt to playing deeper in a tournament?
      3 - Usually less tables when going deep and might get too spewy?
      4 - I don't beat the peeps that go deep with me?

These all sounds reasonable AND possible in my case. To find out if I'm just getting pwned in stead of unlucky to win flips deep, I'm going to review every single one of those final 2 to final 5 table runs to see what's what and I'll post my findings here.

At this point, I tend to believe it's a combination between being unlucky and becoming a little tiny bit spewier when running deep, trying to outplay and outsmart ppl by doing weird things. I'm definately curious what will come out of this little experiment.

Tournaments in the pipeline of getting a review:
      - 7.5$ Deep Payouts - 17/743
      - 16.5$ Bubble Rush - 18/382
      - 11$ Mini Battle Royale - 19/3364
      - Hot 7.5$ - 31/3804
      - Big 11$ - 23/1205
      - Big 16.50$ - 23/1216
      - 16.50 Deep PSKO - 24/2093

All tournaments from last week which could've made me thousands of dollies but instead I'm down money. We'll see we'll see.

Once again: 15% LEFT IN THE PACKAGE GUYS!
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Bad package run today. Lost loads of money, couldn't get nothing to work. Most of the bustouts were pretty sick suckouts and bad beats. Not much we could've done today. On to the studygrind then.

Interesting hand:

What do we do here with ATs?

PokerStars6 Players
      $15.00+$1.50
      Stacks:
      UTG One_Time184 (580k) 73bb
      UTG+1 mister_blk (155k) 19bb
      CO frost3ggg (323k) 40bb
      BTN Hero (190k) 24bb
      SB Mariantw6 (150k) 19bb
      BB NDHTXK (178k) 22bbBlinds: 4k/8k Ante 800
      Pre-Flop: (17k, 6 players) Hero is BTN :Ad: :Td:

2 folds, frost3ggg raises to 16k, Hero???
      So basically what are we looking at? It's a CO-raise from a player with heaps of chips raising. What do we need to take into account?
      Openraiser: 40bb raising into 3 players. What should he have here? He should be doing this pretty wide right? Why? Look at the three stacks behind, I have 24bb, sb has 19bb and bb has 22bb. They won't be going frisky too easily. Most of their decisions will be made preflop as their stacks are reshovestacks. Imo, the openraiser has a boatload of raisefolds in his range, especially if you know that all three players behind him are on the tighter side lately.
      Simplenash gives this range to CO: 33+, A2s+, K7s+, Q7s+, J7s+, T9s, A2o+, K7o+, Q7o+, J7o+, T9o
      I tend to believe this range is a bit too loose but let's say it's correct, then we have to push: 22+, A4s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, ATo+, KQo which I tend to believe is way too loose aswell with 24bb and 2 players behind us left to act. In a vacuum though, these ranges are correct and ATs is way up there ofcourse.

Lets edit the ranges to a more realistical range.
      The openraiser: 22+, A8s+, A5s-A2s, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, A9o+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo
      This range basically means I took out the lower end of the Kx and Qx, removed most of the offsuit Jx and some other random hands that he probably isn't raising here.
      If we recalculate our range then: 44+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, AJo+
      I can basicaly live with this range, I might even go a little bit tighter if it is a regular tourney with a decent structure or if I see the openraiser not being capable of playing the range I put above.

To conclude, how much tighter do the blinds need to call:
      SB: 88+, AJs+, AQo+
      BB: 88+, AJs+, AQo+
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      QotD: What range do we push in this spot?

PokerStars7 Players
      Stacks:
      UTG Player4 (183k) 31bb
      UTG+1 Player5 (53k) 9bb
      MP Player6 (198k) 33bb
      CO Player7 (44k) 7bb
      BTN Hero (96k) 16bb
      SB Player2 (112k) 19bb
      BB Player3 (62k) 10bbBlinds: 3k/6k Ante 600
      Pre-Flop: (13k, 7 players) Hero is BTN :Jd: :Qc:
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      i am not a competent MTT player, but as midstack (if this is a FT), i want the shorties to bust and avoid the biggies.
      I am not in danger of blinding out, so my guesstimate would be:
      55+,Axs,A6o+,KT,KJ,KQ,QJs.
      I'd also be happy to split my range into push and MR/c with nuts (if i need to balance, i add A2-A5o as MR/f but feel bad because of odds)
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Reason I'm not updating too much is pretty simple, there isn't much to say atm.. Also got some private stuff going so just haven't got the time to be super active on the forums...

That and I run worse like... like... like something that runs really really bad...

PokerStars9 Players
      $10+$1
      Stacks:
      UTG Senterpied (591k) 59bb
      UTG+1 stefler.tawi (292k) 29bb
      MP1 hebehobehibe (112k) 11bb
      MP2 shadowixa1 (200k) 20bb
      MP3 Kepacheco (550k) 55bb
      CO Hero (235k) 24bb
      BTN CSWAMI (173k) 17bb
      SB o0Acemaker0o (137k) 14bb
      BB gfxed (695k) 70bbBlinds: 5k/10k Ante 1.3k
      Pre-Flop: (26k, 9 players) Hero is CO :Ac: :Kh:

5 folds, Hero raises to 22k, 1 fold, o0Acemaker0o goes all-in 136k, 1 fold, Hero calls 114k

Flop: :9h: :Jd: :Qh: (293k, 2 players), 1 all-in
      Turn: :9d: (293k, 2), 1 all-in

River: :4c: (293k, 2), 1 all-in
      Final Pot: 293k
      Hero shows a pair of Nines
      :Ac: :Kh:
      o0Acemaker0o shows a straight, Nine to King
      :Kc: :Tc:
      o0Acemaker0o wins 293k (net +156k)
      Hero lost 137k
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Team!!! We are 8/27 in the friggin' Hot 1.1!!! Can we get our second final table of the year FINALLY? Need around 5th to break even on the day!
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze

Second final of the year, let's top the previous one by winning this one shall we!
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      3rd. Had a pretty unlucky final table run cause of the biggest stack being to my left, caging me a bit. If he was somewhere else at the table, I probably could've done more. Lost a flip halfway through after some ppl busted and then final 3 got in KJo vs 33 and he instantly flopped a set to beat my toppair. At least we're up for the day right :)
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Can't beleive I had missed your new thread Samni!

Best of luck in 2017, and I am sure there are a lot more final tables in your future :f_thumbsup:
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Thanks Catonthemat! I'm pretty sure more will follow. Downswing took long enough now. Also restarted working my ass off to improve my game so hopefully it pays of pretty short term from now!
    • samni
      samni
      Bronze

FT Hot 5.50$ 2.7k up top onetime plz!
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Railing.... you can do it :f_thumbsup: