Short Stack Strategy with 40BB

• Ronsedk2016
      Ronsedk2016
      Silver
      Hello all,

I am new to poker and im reading through the strategies etc.

I play on Pokerstars and i want to keep playing there.

My question is, does anyone have experience in playing Short Stack Strategy starting with 40BB? is it profitable? Or do i need to play Mid Stack Strategy?

Thank you for helping me out :-)

Ronni
  • 19 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hi Ronsedk2016,

Unfortunately I don't have much experience in playing short, but luckily we have some articles that tells you about short stack strategy :)
      I would still recommend you to play with 100bb stack. That way you will maximize your profit. It also gives you more room to maneuver at the table. Almost all of the coachings and strategies you will see here are based on the thought that you are playing with full stack.
      Basically only reasons I think of why playing short would be better are 1) you don't have a proper bankroll 2) you don't yet feel comfortable on your limit.

Regards,
      la55i
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Mid stack strategy is most underrated strategy still in CG.
      You can have much higher win rate because most CG players won't know how to adjust their 4 bet ranges vs your 3 bet nai ranges , and 3 bet nai pots play with different pot to stack ratio post flop.
      If you can find sites where you can use MSS I would say go for it. There are strategy articles about it. Read SS strategy, take CREV and do the ranges calculations and then work on post flop for 40bb effective.
      GL!
    • Ronsedk2016
      Ronsedk2016
      Silver
      Thank you for your good replies :-)

la55i, do you have an idea of the BB/100 profits on the BSS? I mean, what should be realistic to reach on the micro and low stakes tables?

IvicaIliev77, do you play MSS yourself? in case, what is your BB/100 profits?

Pokerstars is a good place to play MSS i would think.......

Thank you in advance, and Happy New Year..........my resolution is to learn poker and master it profitably

Ronni
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      well technically shortstack is 20bb and midstack is 40bb.

It's certainly easier, that's also how i started playing poker. But I think starting with a 100bb stack is probably better, it also prepares you for live games.
    • Ronsedk2016
      Ronsedk2016
      Silver
      Thanks mbml :-)

Yes, certainly easier.......and much to learn and take in starting with the 100bb. But of course, if thats where the big profits are when able to master it.........its worth the effort
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Hey Ronni,

I did study MSS at one point in 2015. It brought very interesting results for way range is constructed pre and post flop. I have a friend and know coaches who play that strategy and their win rates are very high. The reason is like I said, most players practice BSS, some % maybe understands SSS well (20bb or less - much easier) but the middle ground is unknown to all of them (40bb).
      Go for it man!
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Bronze
      Hi, how is it going :f_cool:
    • riseordie
      riseordie
      Bronze
      :f_drink:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by riseordie
      :f_drink:
      Hey riseordie,

Welcome to the forums :welcome:

Don't be shy. :f_biggrin: You should take a moment or two to Introduce yourself! to us properly.

Where are you from? In fact, why don't you get yourself added to our Member map. You never know, the nearest PokerStrategist may live right next door. :f_p:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • SuperChompa
      SuperChompa
      Silver
      You have everything in here for 40-50bb play :f_drink:
      https://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Gold
      I've seen nothing but pros suggest NOT playing short or midstacked in cash games. If you want to maximize your profits, you want to keep topped up to 100bb's. It's almost always a donk shortstacking at micro and small stakes.
    • riseordie
      riseordie
      Bronze
      thanks for you recomendation
    • joyeedo
      joyeedo
      Silver
      i dont think 40BB is good. You should raise your br to 100BB
    • Jordyvde
      Jordyvde
      Coach
      Coach
      I dont think playing with 40bb effective can ever be bad if you're new to poker and still learning strategies. Postflop you will have lot easier decisions and after you worked your way out with a strategie you can try to play a bit deeper.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      Playing shortstack provably has advantages. Here's one: The real point is this: If it is a multiway pot with two (or more) deep stacks, the opponents shouldn't care too much about you. They may play optimally against each other, but sub-optimally against you, and still be doing the right thing. Add to this that some players fail to adjust heads up against you.

This may not sound much, but a 1% extra edge (or a 10% extra edge in 10%n of played hands) adds up.

The downside is that short-stacking is boring and unlikely to boost your game.
    • allinjota
      allinjota
      Bronze
      You have the RSS (40-100bb) in the spanish comunity, I'm using it and I have good feelings :f_thumbsup:
      of course, you need to know a little bit of spanish or just use google :)
    • Post removed

• insonoro
      insonoro
      Silver
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      Hey Ronni,

I did study MSS at one point in 2015. It brought very interesting results for way range is constructed pre and post flop. I have a friend and know coaches who play that strategy and their win rates are very high. The reason is like I said, most players practice BSS, some % maybe understands SSS well (20bb or less - much easier) but the middle ground is unknown to all of them (40bb).
      Go for it man!

Hey there, could I please have the contact of that MSS coach you know?
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by insonoro
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      Hey Ronni,

Go for it man!

Hey there, could I please have the contact of that MSS coach you know?
      Sure, send me pm via community tool (add me 1st)