SSS not working?

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Hi today I decided to try the SSS. I have built a reasonable bankroll from playing MTT and satellites of around $200 but I want to be able to play ring games so that I am not forced to play the long hours that a MTT requires and the commitment.

600 hands later. Playing at NL25 I am down $36 which is roughly -24BB/100.
      I have been following the basic strategy as accurately as possible with an autorebuy to the minimum (so I don't worry about the blinds) on full tilt.

Is this a 'normal' downswing? I have had some fairly cruel beats such as Aces being cracked by T7 and AK by AJ. But also a few moments where I am all in with QQ against KK and AA. The strategy just does not seem to be generating any results.

I am considering regenerating my bankroll then trying again but I just do not know why the strategy is not working. Can anyone offer any advice?

Extra info:
      VP$IP is around 8 and pfr is 7. Postflop aggression is 6 (conti betting and hitting hands + mostly playing with overpairs) WTS is 28 from reraising with good hands.
  • 12 replies
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Yeah I would say thats a normal downswing, it could be even bigger too. 600 hands isn't a big enough sample size to determine if your a winning player at that level. If you play another 600 hands you could be up by $36.

Btw you want your opponents to call you with crap when you have the big overpairs, it is profitable in the long run. QQ against the bigger pairs, it happens sometimes nothing you can do about that.

Your stats are good, so thats not a problem. Since you play on ftp you have to pay double rake on NL10. But even with that I'd go down there and start to get a feel for the game if this is your first time using the sss. The strategy is profitable in the long run. Some days you win some days you lose.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Yeah been reading a few of the downswing reports and it seems a common enough situation. I am considering dropping down to NL10 but not sure about the double rake. My bankroll should be ok for NL25 and I think I am good enough at following the rules but maybe my head isn't quite ready for it. Just don't quite like the double rake. Surely that will eat into my upswings even more?

I think the events in my first post were due mostly to bad luck and I have to not let them affect my game otherwise it will spiral.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I wouldnt worry about the bad beats but focus on the hands where you were beat pf.

And dont play a limit just because you have the BR for it, play where you feel comfortable.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Officially moved down to NL10. Too worried about losing my hard-earned winnings. Will try and get a positive BB/100 value then may consider moving back up to avoid the rake. Its important for me to learn how to play ring games cause I just haven't got the time to do long MTT's enough to make any real money unless I play outside of good BRM.

Cheers for the wise words guys.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      I think you did well in moving down to NL10, wait untill you feel really confident about the basic SSS. You'll probably later find out you were making mistakes without noticing it. So keep reviewing your hands and study hard. SSS will definitely become +EV and you can quickly build up your bankroll with it.

Also this variance happens. I have just moved up to NL25 and got down by 7 stacks on the first 2 k hands. Rather scary, but I've reviewd my game and it looks good, so I'll just keep going.

Good luck!
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      I think despite playing much tighter than I would in most stages of a tournament I was still not playing tight enough. I guess most of the money comes from QQ+ and AK and whenever I saw AJ on the button I really wanted to re-raise. Just gotta follow the strategy as accurately as possible!
      I also moved from full tilt to titan. I needed a new bonus to clear and the less rake will all help the bankroll.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Good luck Phil :) I made my way from NL10 to NL100/200 with SSS only so it should work for you as well!

- Gerv
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Thats what I hope to do. Or at least to get to some level where I can make enough money for my lunch in an hour or two. I'm a student and so the money is worth every penny. But I love playing poker and would hate to have to go work in morrisons (or any other shop) I might make a blog about it. Might just inspire me to keep going.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Smileyphil
      Thats what I hope to do. Or at least to get to some level where I can make enough money for my lunch in an hour or two. I'm a student and so the money is worth every penny. But I love playing poker and would hate to have to go work in morrisons (or any other shop) I might make a blog about it. Might just inspire me to keep going.
      You have better implied odds playing poker than working part-time imo unless you plan on having your own shop one day.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Haha nice comment. I like it when it can be put into some form of poker jargon. Yeah and I'm learning of course. Much more potential there than just sitting behind a checkout.

...I wonder whether working in a shop would 'straight'en me out. The thought of it just makes me go a little 'flush'. I would at least be able to easily pick up a 'pair' of baguettes on my way home to my 'full house'.

...ah lame poker puns.

...back to a real comment.

First day of real playing on Titan poker. 419 hands staying as close to the rules as I can. +$1.41! Its a start.
      Although once I got semi trapped with AQ against KK and the only card that could save me was an ace on the river. So I got lucky there. I guess that is part of the strategy though.
    • Rakos777
      Rakos777
      Bronze
      Hi there.
      Im playing at Party Poker NL10 SSS for a week. After 1200 hands Im +18$!!! I had some bad beats too and I must say that sometimes Im really sad because of steps according to SSS that lose my money. But in long run, I belive it works in low limits. Go go go:) We can write here every week and see our way to higher limits:) Have a good cards. Rakos777
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Originally posted by Smileyphil
      Haha nice comment. I like it when it can be put into some form of poker jargon. Yeah and I'm learning of course. Much more potential there than just sitting behind a checkout.

...I wonder whether working in a shop would 'straight'en me out. The thought of it just makes me go a little 'flush'. I would at least be able to easily pick up a 'pair' of baguettes on my way home to my 'full house'.

...ah lame poker puns.

...back to a real comment.

First day of real playing on Titan poker. 419 hands staying as close to the rules as I can. +$1.41! Its a start.
      Although once I got semi trapped with AQ against KK and the only card that could save me was an ace on the river. So I got lucky there. I guess that is part of the strategy though.
      Smileyphil

Thats a good start. Just keep with it and you will do fine with sss.