SSS questions.

• Smileyphil
      Ok so after my tilty downswing (see previous post) I am now determined to play Short stack as mathematically correctly as possible. I believe my post-flop play is one of the weaker areas.

Preflop I believe I am quite good. I follow the SHC almost exactly and am getting good at patiently waiting for cards.

I do however have a few questions.

1. With what cards is it mathematically correct to make a steal/resteal a) against a big stack and b) against a short stack. I have no stats atm so please no stat details.
      My theory so far has been to steal/resteal any time I can re-raise by at least 3x with any hand off the SHC. Is this a decent play?

2. Postflop how often should we contibet when we miss? Many players at NL10 seem to just call us down when I c-bet but sometimes with complete rubbish and I turn out to actually be ahead?

3. It says if we are the preflop aggressor (almost always) then we should raise a draw like a made hand. What if we are in position and the villain bets first? Does the loss in fold equity make a call incorrect?

4. Likewise with Toppair/poor kicker (usually with KQ or freeplay) is it correct to play this like a standard made hand?

Edit: 5. Table selection. What characteristics make a good table? Full tilt poker has easy to see stats like Average pot, players to flop %, Hands per hour or is it less obvious like the number of short stack players? Or tracking down known loose fishy players?

Any answers or partial comments on these topics are welcome and greatly appreciated. Cheers.
  • 2 replies
    • dandycal
      Hi Smileyphil,

1 - You should NOT make steal moves without stats. But you can make re-steal moves against an open-raiser who sits on late position if you hold AQ+ 99+, some say AJ+ 88+ (but this is high variance). In this case you go all-in against his raise. This is what I've been taught by the SSS coaches Ingol and Gerv.

2 - If you are pre-flop aggressor (following the SHC) and you are against one opponent on the flop you can always make a c-bet. This is the standard Basic SSS.

3 - I'm not 100% sure about this one, but as I understand you treat it as made hand regardless of who is betting first. This only applies to strong draws OESD+ or FD+.

4 - J+ kicker is good kicker and you can usually play your top pair confidently. In freeplays, however, they advise you to only play aggressively two pair+, because you are not pre-flop aggressor. But I believe you can usually play top pair good kicker (J+) even in a freeplay.
      EDIT: I just re-read the basic articles and they actually say that with top pair J+ kicker you play a made-hand (always bet and raise) regardless of being pre-flop aggressor or not.

Table selection:
      1st: avg pot, always seek the higher pots
      2nd: Other short-stackers. It is not profitable to play SSS against other Shortstackers, so you should avoid tables with too many of them. This is the ration that one of the coaches tole me:

Maximum short-stackers (other than you)
      - 10 handed = 3
      - 9 handed = 2
      - 8 handed = 1
      - 7 handed = 0

Obs.: I have also heard that in lower limits (NL10 and NL25) there is no need to worry much about short-stackers per table because players play very poorly).

3rd: Players/flop%, the higher the better. We should always seek the most aggressive tables for SSS.

I believe these are the 3 major factors in table selection.

I hope this can be of some help to you. Best wishes.
    • kukkiwonBG
      Originally posted by dandycal
      Hi Smileyphil,
      if you hold AQ+ 99+, some say AJ+ 88+ (but this is high variance).
      Do you even know what this word means.

1. Install Elephant and start using stats. Period.
      AJ+, 88+ is standard.

2. Again stats. Period.
      On NL10 you can stop cbet very bad flops like 443r, 234r. 772r.
      But probably only in position.

3. Look at the flop and make a decision. Learn pot odds and evaluate how strong is your draw.
      Dong bets on the small limits most of the time are draws or bluffs, so draw to good draws if you are going to play the hand.

4. Some of the times you can play it, but in a limped pot you need better hand to go all in.
      Play accordingly to the situation.

Tracking players without software is hard and slow if you play 10+ tables. When you play on FTP you can not use software so look for:

High VPIP, High averege pot and less than 4 SSS players.
      On NL10 table selection is not so important and hard to do without using some help from programs or sites.

Best regards,

P.S. If you have some question about my answers I will be happy to help you.