2017 - Zero to, well, just above zero

• Penguinthief
      Penguinthief
      Bronze
      Evening all,

I've done this before. A few times. Check my posts; started a blog in 2014 on 50NL and 100NL, moving up at 12 BI for the next stake. What a muppet! Since then, I've played a multitude of stakes (2NL - 100NL), games (everything from NLHE and Omaha to Courchevel!), types (cash, STT, MTT, zoom, spins), and I'm still kicking around not really having achieved anything.

So as with every January, THIS IS MY YEAR TO SHINE! Right.. we'll see how long it lasts eh! Actually, whilst writing this, I think I've got to hold a pact with myself; either I blog this throughout the year, no cheating and just resetting my graph here and there, or I quit poker. If I blow my BR, fuck it, I'll reload and carry on as long as I keep blogging and can afford it. However, I think I almost need to agree with myself that if in a years time I'm not still blogging here, then I don't want this bad enough and should stop doing occasional spurts of poker.

What's the best way to start you ask? Well, I happen to have a Pokerstars account with $300 exactly in it plus a few Starscoins ($19.42 worth actually).

With this, I'm going to start $10NL as I have about 32 BI. I'm not going to set boundaries of moving up/down up to 2kNL like I usually do; it makes me want to race. What I will say is I want at least 30BI to play at these stakes, and I'll move down at 20BI so I'll move down to 5NL at $200 and move up to 16 or 25NL at $480/$750 respectively (depending on what I find out about the worthiness of 16NL).

Please wish me luck, I'm making this my last shot!

Edit:
      Realise I forgot the important stuff!

RULES / INFO :
      • I'll be playing 6-max NLHE. My aim is to mainly play the regular tables as I believe that despite the lesser volume, my hourly is probably higher playing 6 tables of reg than 4 tables of zoom. Dependent on the pool though, I may try throwing some Zoom sessions in from time to time.
      • I can move parts of my roll to other sites, however must remove it from my Pokerstars roll, and my graph must be inclusive of all sites played
      • No resetting of graph, reloading bankroll unless it slips to $100 at which point I can top up to $200 to keep me away from 2NL as I find the stake demotivating
      • At the beginning of the week, select some subject areas to study through videos/books and document what I learn with examples of where I played poor and well according to the teachings. This doesn't mean I shouldn't study anything else, but will hopefully limit me just overloading myself with videos and learning nothing from it
      • Post on my blog an absolute minimum of weekly unless on holiday or something
      • Withdrawls are allowed.. I'm not a crushing player trying to grind up a roll in a certain amount of time, I'm a hobbyist trying to get some extra pocket money so would be pointless if I couldn't use it!

To the tables.. :f_biggrin:
  • 8 replies
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Penguinthief
      no cheating and just resetting my graph here and there
      That is something we all fall into (I am onto my 4 reset but New year New me and all that).

Best o luck on your adventure, I have added it to my favourites. :f_thumbsup:
    • Penguinthief
      Penguinthief
      Bronze
      Day 1 - $364.05

Morning all (3am here... I've got a week off work!),

First session is done. 2,027 hands of 10NL at the regular tables on Pokerstars, and we see $64.05 profit. Also cleared the next starscoin bonus giving us over 2000 now, so have $20 banked there also (I'll refer to this as rakeback, as that's what it essentially is). I'll keep these as Starscoins for now; I'm most likely going to swap them directly for cash, but may get myself some merchandise as a motivator instead. Either way, it feels like cheating banking 2BI of stars coins on day 1 of a challenge! If I do cash them, I'll save it until I move up stake.

BR:

Game felt good, but I ran above EV so it would! See below for graph. The purple line is my winnings plus 15% rakeback, based on the fact that Stars silver status works out between 15-18%:

Graph:

And here are the hands I've marked to go through:

Hands:

Most of the time I'll be finishing my sessions as I'm going to bed, so I want to make it a habit to review my previous session immediately prior to starting my next one. Hopefully this should also make the review relevant for the upcoming hands.. We'll see how that works out!

From my review of hands tomorrow, I'll come up with my research topics for the week, but have a good idea what it'll be; 3betting. This will include constructing 3b ranges and 3b calling ranges, as well as delving in to 4b and squeeze calling ranges and postflop play there-on. As long as I don't find something much more -EV in my review session, this will be my key point for the week.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      It sounds like an interesting goal to reach 2kNL in the end. Maybe the Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now! promotion is something for you to make a nice bankroll challenge against other members.

Further I wish you all the best to reach 2kNL and improving your game :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Penguinthief
      Penguinthief
      Bronze
      That isn't the goal.. I was purely saying that normally I'll start a 5NL challenge and set all these BR management strats up to 2kNL as though it's something I need to be currently worrying about! My current challenge is beating 10NL :P

Genuine question here; can game types compound your variance? As in, specifically in this case, is zoom more variance-heavy than regular or am I just facing a bad patch? Here's my graph for 10NL zoom, which I've played over the weekend as I haven't had much time when I've sat at the tables so game selecting would have been difficult:

And as a whole graph, see below:

I basically gained another $40 or so since the last update in regular, then lost it again in regular (which was reflected in my EV also). This was a lot of bad play and bad luck mixed together. I then switched to Zoom over the weekend and got wrecked!

Looking through stats, I should be playing a tighter, lower variance playstyle at zoom. Stats for regular are 26/23/8 (VPIP/PFR/3B), and for zoom are 22/18/8. I know these are tiny sample sizes, with each being about 4k, but it's demoralising being 7-8BI under EV in 3k hands with no genuine reassurance for myself that I played well!

Hopefully having a decent hand review tomorrow. Seems a lot of my leaks are still regarding 3b pots. A large sample of this is regarding the correct spots to continuation bet after 3-betting, as I seem to be value owning myself a lot! Maybe my 3b is too high for the micros?

Well, good luck at the tables everyone, and please pray for me that my EV line drags my green line up with it! Going back to the regular tables I think..
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      Hey Penguinthief !

Is zoom more variance-heavy than regular or am I just facing a bad patch?
      Well you dont have enough sample size to be honest. You can beat variance only by volume :P

The main difference between zoom and normal tables remains IMO the winrate you can get.

Zoom players should focus more in making ton of volume as everyone is tighter even the fish so lower winrates for everyone and rakeback gets more important.
      Is is a lot harder to exploit your opponents playing Zoom. ABC poker is the way to go IMO on zoom table
      ( Unless if your name is Asimos )

On regular tables, we play less volume but we build reads on opponents much faster. That means exploiting their tendencies becomes a lot easier.
      Also if you have a fish on a regular table you have him trapped there with you, he will not leave your table after one hand. More time for you to exploit him.

How many tables of zoom you play ? And how many tables you play on normal tables at the same time?

Good luck with your goals :f_drink:
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Genuine question here; can game types compound your variance? As in, specifically in this case, is zoom more variance-heavy than regular or am I just facing a bad patch?

I then switched to Zoom over the weekend and got wrecked!
      I have found Zoom very hard to get a constant positive graph trajectory (could be just that I am shit). But I'll go through stages of making a lot and feel good about decisions I make, the next day I play exactly the same and just get crushed. This has left me with the feeling that I only play well with good cards :f_eek: Which may or may not be the case. However am planning on getting some Zoom specific coaching at some point, rather then just regular cash coaching. I just prefer playing Zoom, probably because I am impatient.

However my recommendation would be to stick to normal if you were winning there, zoom will just kill and confidence you have.

As for the tighter stats of all the players I have 400+ hands on (which has taken a while due to the zoom change table) most aren't actually winning, the biggest winners are the much looser ones. Small sample and happy to be proved wrong (this is also at NL2)

Best of luck :f_drink:
    • Penguinthief
      Penguinthief
      Bronze
      Day 5 - $388.30 (includes $4.50 of challenge bonuses... also have over 4000 starscoins)

@Agapie : Hey dude. I play 4 tables of Zoom or 6 tables of Regular. I'd go more regular, but feel this is the best currently for me getting to know the people at my table and keep track of them.

@Cat : I should have listened to you!

Started off my session with a few hands on Zoom, and again ran under EV (though it was going to be a negative session anyway):

I decided then that Zoom wasn't the way forward for me, so headed over to the reg tables and put a few hours in. Didn't do too bad, and 2 of the stacks lost were FHs against Quads, so can't kick myself too hard :

As a total now, we're starting to look like our EV line is strong. It's only a small sample size though. Don't worry, I won't be including 3 graphs on every post going forward, but just at the start before everything converges and makes such a small impact, I think it's worthwhile to show our direction:

Calling it for tonight as I'm at work tomorrow after a week off, so want a decent sleep. Aiming to carry on with the regular table grind for the week, and depending on the volume I manage I might update this midweek or may leave it til the weekend. I'll keep checking back for comments though!
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      I decided then that Zoom wasn't the way forward for me, so headed over to the reg tables and put a few hours in.
      Very good choice, play it too much and you can't go back, very moreish. I don't have the paitence for normal now after playing about 80k on zoom. Wish I could though as have a terrible win (lose really) rate.

All the best for this week :f_thumbsup: