Thulium
      Bronze
      Updated Results
      • Janury: est. $30,544.62 USD
      • February: est. $15,990.22 USD
      • March: est. $8,777.52 USD
      • April: est. $9,767.75 USD

Introduction
      Entrepreneur, poker player and traveler. Just another individual in his mid twenties traveling from country to country playing poker for a living while slowly (numbingly slow) building his e-commerce empire (village).

How Did I End up Here?
      Like many before me, what attracted me to poker wasn't the promise of fame or fortune, neither which has ever truly appealed to me. Instead, it was the need for complete autonomy, largely driven by moderate social anxiety. Yet despite my shyness I didn't hesitate (much) when a couple of fellow poker players I had never met in person suggested we pack our things to setup shop on the other side of the world. And so we did... only a short period after having just graduated from high school I was sitting on a plane (the longest and most painful flight of my life) with two other poker players, almost complete strangers.

An Exotic Life
      We had big plans with high expectations. We were going to grind like maniacs, study as if we were possessed and work the gym like beasts knowing that greatness was all but guaranteed, or so we thought at least. Unfortunately, as people often do, we underestimated how difficult it would be to walk that narrow path known as "productivity". In fact, we underestimated it so much that after only two weeks we completely abandoned the road and began walking, nay, running, in the opposite direction. We ended up living the lives of hedonists to an extent which could almost be classified as borderline degenerate (depending on who you ask of course).

It seemed as if each night there was a new party or event going on and it was almost impossible to steer away once we had been captivated by the intoxicating (in a literal sense) party atmosphere we were surrounded in, especially while indulging in the most addictive drugs of all, women. A year passed this way, party after party, and event after event until I woke up one morning, feeling particularly embarrassed reminiscing about the charades of the previous night.

Reality finally caught up with me and it was a sobering moment. I had barely been grinding, I had made zero progress with my game and I wasn't working out at all. A year of decadent living had also left a hole (more like a meteorite crater) in my bankroll and I began to genuinely worry about where I was actually heading from here. A feeling of worry that quickly compounded with the blurry memories (some slightly disturbing) of my nights out, making me feel all the worse for it. So it should come as no surprise when I finally decided it was time for a new chapter in my life.

Leaving my friends behind (we're still in touch), I packed my shit and got the fuck out of Asia. My time in Asia had been anything but productive, at least from a financial point of view. That said, despite whatever regrets our past tends to push upon us I'm still grateful for that time in my life. Because, not only did it help me grow up in many ways more than one, it also revealed a number of insecurities and other issues I hadn't been aware of before, giving me the chance to deal with them, and for the most part overcome. In the end, I guess that's just part of life and growing up... However, I suspect that some environments are more conducive to this end than others.

Rite of Passage
      At first I returned to Europe, I settled for a small apartment in the coast of Bulgaria. In the beginning I was barely scraping by, my time in Asia had left me relatively poor and my poker game was worse off than ever while the games were quickly getting tougher. Needless to say, it was a time of struggle, but also a time of growth, a time which would eventually lay the foundation for who I was to become (or at least for who I am today).

A dwindling bankroll ensured my motivation remained fairly high, however, as I wasn't particularly good at poker while also being terribly inept at handling the long and cruel breakeven stretches I was anything but a happy and productive person at the time. I often contemplated giving up, projecting my recent but depressing results into the future, hopelessly thinking that things would never turn around.

Despite the difficulty I remained the course and continued to push through. Years went by, and so did the countries I had been living in. By the age of 23, I had lived in more than six different countries located on three separate continents. Progress was slow, painfully so, fortunately as evasive as it seemed at the time, I eventually reached the point where I was no longer feeling financially insecure. I dare even say that I made enough progress to become complacent.

Which brings us to the next hurdle, complacency. Desperation was no longer fueling the fire that kept me going and my progress became static, which is a problem, because as you progress, if each progression isn't progressively more progressive (yeah...) it becomes easy to lose interest and look elsewhere for stimulation, and so I did. Instead of grinding I started to date more and to spend more time watching movies and socializing with friends, which I dare say made me both happy and depressed at the same time.

It is easy to rationalize my behavior, saying that "what is the point of life if not to make memories worth remembering?". Perhaps you're right, I'm sure I told myself similar things, but then again, perhaps it is nothing but the bias of the 'remembering self', to equate happiness with elusive memories chemically attached to flashes of momentary joy in favor of denser and longer lasting states of happiness brought upon by feeling accomplished or competent at something. Who knows, there is also the theory of the unmoving baseline, so perhaps what we do is irrelevant in the end because our level of happiness will always return to its genetically pre-determined baseline. Nevertheless, my direction has been set.

Now What?
      I'm far from done with poker and if I could have my way, then 2017 is to become my best year yet. That said, I no longer devote all of my time towards poker, I have for over a year now been building an e-commerce business I have based out in Hong Kong, deludedly hoping to one day make it big like many others out there. Deluded because I have never worked hard enough to deserve such a thing (neither in poker nor my business), I'm undisciplined and scattered in all directions, yet if poker has taught me anything it would be that discipline is nothing but an illusion (as is free will; no mention of fucking quantum mechanics) and that momentum is the single most important factor in isolation when it comes to achieving ones goals. This is me, claiming that through strategic molding of my environment I'm going to not just play poker while devoting a substantial amount of time towards my business this year, but that I'm going to put in more hours at the tables this year than I have any year before when my sole focus was just poker.

Eminem - Rap God
  • 22 replies
    • microstraddler
      microstraddler
      Bronze
      Hey Thulium,

First of, welcome to the forum. :)

That was really fun to read! :f_thumbsup:
      I actually recognize myself A LOT in your story. I was also just a shy kid when I decided to fly over the Atlantic Ocean, alone with a backpack.
      Although, I took student loans and was partially financed by the government. (Sweden ftw!)
      But standing on my own feet for the first time, money management was non-existent and I was struggling financially for shorter periods.

My first year abroad, I pretty much did the same thing as you:

As a result, I became overweight and depressed.
      Which is when I decided to start a new chapter towards a better life.

But I truly believe that we have to learn from our own mistakes and like you say, this is how we grow up.

I actually get your confusing statement about progression. :P
      When you have challenged yourself to that extent, it is easy to feel like your doing nothing when you get in to routines.
      But there is a time and place for everything. Or if you like quantum physics, you create the time and place for everything. ;)

Looking forward to see more updates from you and I think we could have some interesting discussions.

Where are you from btw?
      What kind of e-commerce are you running?

Cheers!
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      microstraddler
      I appreciate it mate. Travelling can without a doubt be a powerful tool when it comes self-development. :)
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      January 2017

I'll keep it short and sweet for now and stick to just posting my monthly results and commitments. If there's enough interest in the future I might take the time to write more reflective posts.

POKER

NET: +26,244.62$ (including rakeback)
      AIEV: +21,977.97$ (including rakeback)
      Hands Played: 60,741

E-COMMERCE
      Products Sold: 1040 (approx.)
      NET Profit: 4,466$ (approx.)

WORK HOURS
      • grind: 117 hours
      • study: 2 hours
      • business: 53 hours
      • programming: 7 hours
      • training: 1 hours
      • spanish: 0 hours

LRKR - Chilean Sunset
    • mrklip
      mrklip
      Basic
      wtf, what stakes do you play?
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      mrklip
      mostly from 200NL up to 1000NL.
    • mrklip
      mrklip
      Basic
      Cashgames then. That's impressive, what format are you playing? 6max or HU?

Looking at your goals, you have got programming in there. Are you working on a project or are you learning how to program? You haven't been very detailed about your goals.

I'm definitely subscribing though, this could get interesting! :f_biggrin:
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      mrklip
      I play mostly 6max, but will occassionally add some HU to the mix should the games be running slow.

As for programming, I'm learning python, unfortunately I have yet to define that goal very well yet. As of now, it simply involves making the most basic shit imagineable. :)
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      That’s a crazy result in 1 month. What kind of limit are you playing on the moment?

If you want to post without help you need to be a Bronze member I’m afraid. The easiest way to get bronze is to use 1 of our free money offers on a poker room you don’t have an account yet.

Maybe the Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now! promotion is something for you to make a nice bankroll challenge against other members. With your start, it should be easy to reach a goal for you.

Further I wish you all the best to make a profit of at least 200k in 1 year :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      February 2017

Yet another month goes by. :)

POKER

NET: +11,640.22$ (including rakeback)
      AIEV: +11,744.17$ (including rakeback)
      Hands Played: 52,664

E-COMMERCE
      Products Sold: 970 (approx.)
      NET Profit: 4,198$ (approx.)

WORK HOURS
      • grind: 117 hours
      • study: 5 hours
      • business: 54 hours
      • programming: 7.5 hours
      • training: 3 hours
      • spanish: 3 hours

Mapei - Don't Wait
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      SDK1987

That was indeed a good month. :)

I play everything from 200NL up to 2000NL, with the majority of my volume taking place on 200-600NL as these games run far more frequently than the higher games.

As for posting picture rights, I can't really be arsed for 50$. ^^

Thanks!
    • Catonthemat
      Catonthemat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Thulium
      SDK1987

That was indeed a good month. :)

I play everything from 200NL up to 2000NL, with the majority of my volume taking place on 200-600NL as these games run far more frequently than the higher games.

As for posting picture rights, I can't really be arsed for 50$. ^^

Thanks!
      Post one hand for discussion in the hand discussion forum and you should get points to take you to bronze...
    • KidandChamp
      KidandChamp
      Bronze
      Thulium (where does the name come from?), I enjoyed this so much! You have a captivating way of writing. Good luck with your challenge and your business. Looking forward to your posts and hopefully a book one day!
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      Catonthemat
      I'll keep that in mind, perhaps I'll upload a hand or two at some point later on. I appreciate the tip.
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      KidandChamp
      Those are some very kind words. Thanks. The name comes from the periodical table, making it fairly unimaginative. =)
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      March 2017

March was a swingy month, but I got in decent volume.

POKER

NET: +3,477.52$ (including rakeback)
      AIEV: +2,864.94$ (including rakeback)
      Hands Played: 78,897

E-COMMERCE
      Products Sold: 1250 (approx.)
      NET Profit: 4,630$ (approx.)

WORK HOURS
      • grind: 120 hours
      • study: 10 hours
      • business: 28 hours
      • programming: 14 hours
      • spanish: 5 hours

José Gonzáles - Stay Alive
    • cobby
      cobby
      Bronze
      What business do you do? What's the product and where can I find it?
    • Thulium
      Thulium
      Bronze
      @cobby

I'd rather keep that to myself for now. I don't ship internationally, so unless you live in the US it is of little benefit to me. Sorry mate. :)
    • UnlimitedLimits92
      UnlimitedLimits92
      Bronze
      Great job, keep us posted more often! :f_drink:
    • smoothazeros
      smoothazeros
      Bronze
      sick bro, keep smashing!