Do you ever fold aces preflop?

• tlLome
      tlLome
      Bronze
      I was playing last night just .10-.20 limit and was at a mentally unstable table with 4-5 maniacs, this was mostly good but on one hand on the BB I had aces. First 3 players to act cap the pot and everyone calls to me with my Aces. I did call and lost of course with 9 people seeing a 4 bet flop. Would it have been better to just fold, really the thought is pretty appaling but they just dont play well against 8 other hands :rolleyes: .

Of course the 94 of spades made a flush on the river and won a ridiculous (for the limit) pot.
  • 25 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      do u ever drink acid ?
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      I would never fold pocket Aces preflop in limit game. Other thing is what to do on flop and later streets. As You wrote, their strength decreases with every next player on the flop. It's impossible to tell You how to act without info about cards on board and actions of the others
      My advice: Post that hand into sample hands forum and ask judge what to do ;)
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      I folded aces preflop few times and was ALWAYS miss click and i was all mad about it:D (it happens if you have to many overlaping tables :D ).
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      If you fold aces preflop the poker gods will eat your flesh and take your SOUL.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      The only time I fold Aces pre-flop is in a Freezeout Tourney (usually first hand), where you have 5 or 6 maniacs going all in with anything.
      The odds of your aces holding up there (just 45% against 5 random, 33% against 6 random, worse if you put them on a high range, sourced from Equilator) is just not worth risking your whole tournament life for. Better to bide your time & build your stack up slowly using your own undoubtable skill rather than just luck. :)

I would never fold in Limit or NL cash game though.

Can highly recommend people incorporating a few minutes playing around with combinations of hands in PokerStrategy Equilator on a regular basis. Incorporate it into your study & you soon get a feel for the odds of any given situation.

Bart.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      lol folding AA vs maniacs in tournament , it is a risk of losign but in most of the case u can built a very good stack early on and have a good chance of making the FT table
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I would risk AA against 9 players preflop in a tourney tbh. For just one buyin i'm going broke with AA pretty much in every game.

Apart from some bubble situations, where you can make a very harsh fold.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      http://plusev.keenspot.com/d/20071126.html

says it all really :p
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      http://plusev.keenspot.com/d/20071126.html

says it all really :p
      :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      The only time you should fold them is in a satellite or some other kind of tourney where the top whatever percentage all get the same prize, and you're on the bubble and two people go all in when you have a decent stack.

For example you're in a satellite where top 36 get a seat into some tourney and there are 37 left. you have aces and two guys go all in in front of you where one of them has enough to cripple you or even just to take you into an uncomfortable position. Then its an easy fold.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      I folded AA preflop yesterday. 6 players left in a DoN. First time ever I folded them preflop but I got ITM a couple of hands later.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I play FL and there is HELL no way to fold AA preflop :)
    • Dykiller
      Dykiller
      Bronze
      meh
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Folding AA in a tourney is stupid imo. Play to win!!! These people who play to stay in won't do very well in the long run. Folding AA in a mtt is donkey play!!
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      I would only consider folding them in satellite bubble just like WildBeans said.

I also agree with cannell, always play to win.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      For those of you that are thinking like Dykiller. Folding AA against multiple players going all in at any time (other than satellite bubble) is just terrible. It means that you haven't understood a basic concept of poker...a play isn't valued by the amount you end up winning/lossing in that hand, but by the amount you will end up winning/lossing after making that play 1000's of times. In this case it's just basic pot odds.

Here's an example:
      If you think of a cash game, lets say 5 people go all-in for 1 buy in each and you have AA. Just for this example lets pretend you'll win 35% of the time. (I came up with this just by entering 5 random hands against AA in equilator) That means 35% of the time you win 5BI and 65% of the time you lose 1 buy in.

Here's the math:
      0.35 x +5= +1.75
      0.65 x -1= -0.65
      1.75-0.65= +1.1 BI

So in this situation you'll lose the pot more often than you'll win it, but in the long run you will make on average 1.1 buy-in. That mean's on average you double your stack! Sounds good to me.

If you still think that in tourneys it's better to fold because you're more likely to make the money, then the same principal applies. If you fold your stack stays the same and you are more likely to make the money, but far less likely to go deep. If on average you're doubling your stack this is actually worth even more in a tourney than a cash game! The reason is that doubling your chips in a tourney gives you a huge advantage to try to make the final table/go for the win. Money is so weighted to the top spots in a tourney that it makes no sense to try to limp into the money and not take risks.

wow...that got longer than expected...at least I'm too hungover to do anything more worthwhile with my time right now :baby:
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      I would risk AA against 9 players preflop in a tourney tbh. For just one buyin i'm going broke with AA pretty much in every game.

Apart from some bubble situations, where you can make a very harsh fold.
      Very Good Point --
      This is one Situation where i was like WTF to a guy when he told me he went all in with the A's..

400/800
      4 People on the Bubble in a $30 9Man - SS has only 1 Big Blind left -

Friends Stack : 10'000
      Big Stack : 10'800
      Next Stack : 8'000 (or sumet close to that)
      Short Stack : 1'200 (on the small blind so, 800 behind, 400 in)

Friend Picks up AA UTG+1, Raises to 1'400
      CU Folds
      BU (big stack) Moves All In 10'800
      SS Folds .. Friend Calls.. Lose's to KK (KKK)

Worst Idea Ever, even though i can see his logic, i would wait until the SS is out and your ITM, i mean, it's only going to be 4/5 hands MAX, if not the next hand..
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      Never ever fold aces preflop even if bubble or anything.Whats point of playing poker if you fold nutz?
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by StusMagic
      Never ever fold aces preflop even if bubble or anything.Whats point of playing poker if you fold nutz?
      Sometimes folding AA is a +$EV situation in tourneys. thats why. PERIOD