Hints for Beginners

• Korn
      Korn
      Bronze
      Some general Hints for the Beginners among us

This is a collection of recommendations, not static rules, but beginners should gear to it.

Strictly stick to the Starting Hands Chart. Print it out and always keep it in range. Take your time to take a close look for every single hand. CALL 4 means that 4 players have to put money into the pot in front of you. Pay attention on your position. Inexperienced players often make mistakes like calling 87s all the time, thinking: �Everything in the chart can be played.� That is not the case. Remember that.

Use English whilst chatting. PartyPoker allows only English chat. I recommend to obey this directive, as violations can lead to exclusion from the chat and in severe cases even to exclusion from playing at all. And that would be sad, wouldn�t it?
      Restrict using the chat to the essentials (or even don�t chat at all) and concentrate on the game. Do not engage in argumentations. Ignore minor insults. Do not waste your time reporting such people unless you really feel insulted.

Be nice to newbies. Even if they caused a bad beat with some luck on the river. Do not insult them or tell them that they are bad players. Be nice to them. E.g. say �Nice Hand!� and pet his ego. Try to keep him at the table, as he will lose his money on the long run�

Be sober. Do not play poker when coming home from a bar or a club after some beers. You will just play worse than you normally do and you will probably lose money.

Be unemotional. It�s not as simple as it seems to be! If you start to wack out and notice it, stop playing. At least take a break. And if you quit a session with a loss: That�s just normal! You have to remember that it is all just one big session. You will make profit in the long run, so it is absolutely okay to end a session with a loss.

Stick to the bankroll management! It has its purpose. I know that it can be annoying not to advance on 2c/4c. And a lot of people might think: �Why not switch to 5c/10c with $10, as I have to switch back to 2c/4c not until I fall back to $8!� Do not do that. You won�t do yourself a favour.

The best time to play is when all the Northern American hobby-players knock off work and play poker, being tired or even drunk. If you can, align your playing times to that. Consider the time difference. But remember: You have to be fit yourself. Do not extend your sessions too long just to �exploit all those newbies�.

Carefully read the strategy-articles in the beginners section and use the board. I know, the tables are more interesting, but studying the boards with all its articles, essays, exemplary hands and discussions will be more profitable � we promise!

To be continued�

Written by Pius
      Translated from German by Marcus Berg and Lutz Enke
  • 39 replies
    • klabauter
      klabauter
      Bronze
      Original von Korn

Use English whilst chatting.
      nice
    • jjacky
      jjacky
      Bronze
      Originally posted by klabauter
      Original von Korn

Use English whilst chatting.
      nice
      this point was much more important in the german forum :)
    • LastEmu
      LastEmu
      Bronze
      I like the word "whilst" :P
    • Tasp
      Tasp
      Bronze
      Is the advice about which time it is best to play poker still the best one now that the americans arent allowed to play at many sites anymore?
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      In my experience, the biggest fish are usually canadian so it should actually still work.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Yap time is still correct. So the best time for me to play poker Fixed on 5/10 10/20 is about 23:00 GMT+1 and later.

But i think sooner or later there will be a change. Party is getting so many players i think it is close to 2000 avarage per day from Europe, Middle East, Africa.
    • Muggs
      Muggs
      Bronze
      Usefull information!
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      Nice tips!
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by arjun2001
      Originally posted by howard182
      In my experience, the biggest fish are usually canadian so it should actually still work.
      :D
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      I dont think any one nationality has any more or less fish. Plenty of fish everywhere you don't have to look to hard. Myself I'n Canadian and fine plenty of fish on every site I play. If you follow proper pokerstrategy guidelines and charts its not hard.
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FrozenRope
      I dont think any one nationality has any more or less fish. Plenty of fish everywhere you don't have to look to hard. Myself I'n Canadian and fine plenty of fish on every site I play. If you follow proper pokerstrategy guidelines and charts its not hard.
      Yeah,but you live in the same timezone with USA so ofcourse you have fish at nights :) ,it's just USA is so big that it has influence on poker.

You're right though,if you learn,there is no problem finding fishies,just that in certain times there are more fishies.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FrozenRope
      The french! what about the french?
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Think I've only seen 1 decent french player ever.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      Elky? :)
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      Elky? :)
      He wasn't talking about StarCraft...

:P
    • teslainis
      teslainis
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I am quite new to this site ant to poker. I played few weeks already.
      Dont know if this is right place to ask this, but didint wanted to create new thread.
      I somehow found limit holdem starting hand charts confusing. For example it states that in early position, when 2 or more players called BB with Mediocre hands I should fold but with Speculative I should call.
      Thanks.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by teslainis
      Hi,
      I am quite new to this site ant to poker. I played few weeks already.
      Dont know if this is right place to ask this, but didint wanted to create new thread.
      I somehow found limit holdem starting hand charts confusing. For example it states that in early position, when 2 or more players called BB with Mediocre hands I should fold but with Speculative I should call.
      Thanks.
      hi teslainis;
      don't be afraid of creating new thread: not many will notice your post here ;)

I'm not sure what you refer to exactly (I don't have that chart with me atm), but here's what I think:
      Mediocre hands loose value with more players in. That's because they depend too much on flop and even if you hit top pair (with hand like Q9 on Q,8,4 flop), you're likely to be dominated by someone and thus you're drawing to 3 outs (to 2-pair).
      On the other hand, it's great to have as many players in as possible, when you hold hand like 98s (implied odds are important here). You're not drawing to pair, but you're looking for straight and/or flush draws which are strong holdings multiway (98s is not interesting hand heads-up because pot is small and you won't have odds to call - that's of course not problem with 4-5 players).
    • teslainis
      teslainis
      Bronze
      Thanks for reply.
      I seem to understand that speculative hands(small pairs and suited) are good against many opponents but still for example some of Mediocre hands - ATs, KQs(which from what I can guess from my little experience are also good against many players for fluch capabilities) seems to be stronger than KJs, KTs, QJs, QTs, JTs, T9s.
      And also I would like to ask if theese hands are better than those from Lee Jones book since I read it before registering here and remembered quite well.
      Thanks.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Korn

Be unemotional. It�s not as simple as it seems to be! If you start to wack out and notice it, stop playing. At least take a break. And if you quit a session with a loss: That�s just normal! You have to remember that it is all just one big session. You will make profit in the long run, so it is absolutely okay to end a session with a loss.
      Now here's a good one for me. I get so pissed when I get a bad beat. My mouse has been so close to flying across the room and into the wall. I'll do some anger managment :D

I want to be like the video makers and go "Hahahaha oh well that happens". But I'm not there yet..