Pockets on the flop!

• Joshquan
      I am mainly talkin about low/middle pairs here, as I have no idea how to play them when the flop comes.

I have been following the bronze pre-flop charts with them, but then just end up folding to a bet in sight of an overcard in most situations and have just not found them very profitable at all. However, I wouldn't doubt the pre-flop strategy so I'm looking for advice on the best line on the flop with low/middle pockets when an overcard does appear (which in most situations it will) and possible how to continue on the final streets.

Any advice is welcome as on this topic I am completely lost!
  • 3 replies
    • gape0000
      There is no universal answer for this, it really depends how many people are in pot, what is the board like, which overcards are there , what is the action before/after you so just post hands u are uncertain about for evaluation and u will get a better idea how to play them.
    • WildBeans
      one overcard isn't all that bad. Then you need to just figure out if you think the other guy is betting with top pair. And if you're even a little scared of it, fold. But especially with low pairs try to see a flop as cheaply as possible and hope for a set. Those are easy to play :)
    • PokerHammer
      Four main questions you need to answer.

1. What was the preflop action?
      2. How many players saw the flop?
      3. What type of opponents are they?
      4. What is the flop texture?

You need to combine these four questions on the flop.

As an example, you open raise 77 from the CO and the BB calls. The BB is an 18/10/2 TAG. The flop is K63r.

1. I raised preflop so if he checks I bet. (standard)
      2. It's HU so my hand is much stronger than if the pot was 3 or 4 ways.
      3. He's a TAG so his range won't be as wide as a loose player (although still fairly wide defending against a CO open raise).
      4. It's a dry flop, so despite the overcard it's pretty good for my hand.

Obviously that was just one of a million examples.

It would great if there was a standard answer to your question but each hand is so different. In the end it just comes down to experience, and reads.

Also, posting hands that you're not sure of and getting the opinion of others will help in these spots.

Edit: I just read Gape's post. He basically said what I said, I just like to use more words! :D