This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

SSS - when to go all in on a re-raise?

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi,

I'm having trouble with understanding the rational behind the rule for when you fold if someone re-raises after you have already raised when using the short stack strategy.

I understand it depends on the ratio between your original raise and the stack you have left. However, I would like to understand the logic behind the rule.
      Grateful for any responses!

Tim64
  • 6 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

Although it will most likely become clear to you as you read more articles (on Odds and Outs / Equity / Pot Odds) I will give you a short break down :)

There are two factors deciding the decision of whether you go all-in or fold:

#1 The Pot Odds (in this case already invested money vs money you will still need to invest)
      #2 Your Equity against his probable range

If your pot odds are good enough (so you have already invested a large part of your stack- and have to call a relatively small amount to win a large pot) - then you will often, even if you are behind against his range, have the needed equity to make calling profitable. That means your hand wins around 40% of the time against the hands he would go all-in with / but you have 1:4 pot odds - calling would be very profitable.

If you need an example please say so - me or someone else could put up a calculation for you :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks, that's very helpful indeed.

I would certainly appreciate a practical example, if it's not too much trouble.

Many thanks in advance!
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

I hope I don't overdo it by posting this hand from Xarry2's advanced SSS coaching review - but this is an advanced example from practice:

Hand (reviewed by Xarry2):

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $200
      MP3:
      $881.84

5/10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T:club: , T:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $35.00, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $110.00, 5 folds.

Final Pot: $160.00

In this hand I get raised by a TAG. I haven't got many hands from him but nevertheless I can put him on some possible ranges:

- JJ+, AK if he knows that I'm playing SSS and adjusts his reraising range to my tight open raising range

- TT+, AQ+ which would imo be the standard reraising range from an aggressive TAG vs MP1 open raises

- 99+, AJs, AQ+ would be possible but is without further reads very loose imo

Equity against these ranges:

vs JJ+, AK: 33,7%
      vs TT+, AQ+: 40,3%
      vs 99+, AJs, AQ+: 44,9%

Let's now take a look at the pot odds in order to determine when we can call.

200+35+12 / 165 = 1.5 : 1 which equals 40% break even equity.

Against the first range we have an easy fold. Against the second we could call with a very marginal edge. Now I want to calculate the EV of such a call and discuss it considering that the variance is immense and that we haven't got many hands from MP3.

EV = 247$*0.403 - 165$*0.597 = +1.036$ or 0.1BB!!!!

I don't like such calls. I rather want to make a weak fold than calling for very marginal profit with high variance and less information.

Against the third range our EV would be:

EV = 247*0.449 - 165*0.551 = 19.998$ or 2BB

If this range was mare likely and if I had more hands I would call here. If I consider that I will probably only play against these range in 10-20% our winnings decrease againt to 0.2-0.4BB.

Rather make a weak fold than a close call!

----

Hope to have given you some more insight :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi Soy,

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll digest it when I have a moment and get back to you with any queries.

Thanks again in the meantime.

Tim
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi again SoyCD,

Can you explain why the Pot odds are: "200+35+12 / 165 = 1.5 : 1"

I thought Pot odds were ratio of current pot size (165) to cost of call (75 (his raise of 110 minus our raise of 35)), i.e. 165:75 = 2+:1.

What am I missing? :)

Thanks,
      T
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Tim64,

Since you are playing SSS continuing with the hand means going all-in. That means you don't just need to call but actually invest the rest of your stack. Therefore the calculation is a bit different :)

Best regards
      SoyCD