Endgame

• AzUdet
      AzUdet
      Bronze
      Hey,

I started playing recently after reading through the available articles regarding sng here on the site.

Now I have the pure basics down I think but there is one part of the game I need to put some serious work in. And thats the "in the money" part.

I get into the money in ~40% of the tournaments I play (single and multitable). But I was only able to win 1 or 2 of them. Now I read it is about putting your head into it but then again I realize that the way heads-up bit is played completely differs from the game that was played until that point.

Well, as the only strategy articles regarding this are to be found in the silver / gold area I would really love to get a tip or 2 here from the guys that know what they are doing. :)
  • 6 replies
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Hi AzUdet

Playing ITM depends a lot on the opponents as well as knowing how well your hand is doing against various ranges...

My advice is download the ICM trainer and set it to 2/3 players and practice... for heads up I personally use the nash equilibrium charts... google it and you'll find it...

Good luck...
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      I'm not an expert, but maybe you should think about the way you enter the ITM stage of a tournament. Maybe you play too tight on the bubble and survive it but are not in the best available postition to win? That's just a suggestion of one possibility.
    • AzUdet
      AzUdet
      Bronze
      To be honest I realized I was playing stupidly.

I wasn't sticking to the strategy and that was what made it hard for me. I mean of course you can't always push and fold according to charts. But then again when I stick to it rather tightly I get ITM and maybe even more.

:)
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      So you are doing better now? Maybe you should update your blog then.. ;)
    • AzUdet
      AzUdet
      Bronze
      Been there, done that. ^^

By the way: I only had time for 3 tables yesterday but I recorded them. The beginning was really weak in my opinion (I always need a warm up phase, not sure why...) and then it got a bit better. But I am sure there is enough room for improvement.

I have the feeling I am too passive and when I am not passive, then I am pushing too hard with crappy hands.

Andway, here is the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M02ZNWXU and I am looking forward to feedback - hopefully it won't be too bad.
    • danwong
      danwong
      Bronze
      I've been using excel to plot my course for a month now. And after reading this thread, I've decided to tally up my placings as well number of games played.

So far played 37 games of $1+0.25 SnGs some on thier own or as part of a set of 2, 3 or 4 multitable and got in the money 19 times with a net change of +$2.5 (rakeback not included)

Of those 19 ITM 2 were in 1st, 11 were 2nd and 6 were 3rd places.

I'm estimating I was chip leader going in HU about 25-30% of the time. I need to take time to evaluate my hands. (I remember being passive in some and aggressive in others based on my opponent and stack sizes.)

So yeah echoing on tips for improvement.