supporting my mother @ zoom

• JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Hi all,

blog title tells everything. I am 30, German, recently got a masters degree in aerospace engineering and currently looking for decent job oppurtinities. My mother is somewhat mentally ill and I feel like supporting her the best I can. That´s why I want to grind out a decent volume and move up as fast as possible.

I´ve been playing for like 9 years now but university, missing motivation, tilt etc. kept me from making it further than 50nl. After finishing university a few months ago, I quickly moved up to 16/25nl zoom back again and did quite well I guess. Couple of days ago my mother told me she lost her job and is dead broke. I decided to cash out a large chunk of my roll to provide immediate financial aid. Now I am back on 10nl and as long as the f***n welfare does not ship the moneys the owe me, I will have to stick to a full schedule of grinding. I think blogging will force me to reflect my daily sessions and get in touch with other (more skilled) players. I chose English section because it is more international and challenges my English skills a bit.

Goals for the rest of Feb 2017
      - Find a job :truestory:
      - Play 20k+ hands per week with at least 6evbb/100

Plan for improvement: Set "weekly" goal - play 10k hands - analyze - readjust - ...

2017 so far:

• 18 replies
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello JustMillion,

Hopefully this time around you beat NL50 :f_drink:
      Wish you all the best in achieving your goals and I look forward to reading how you get on in the coming months.
      Subbed :f_thumbsup:

Regards

Matt
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Will follow GL
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Very noble cause to help your ill mother. I wish you all the best with your financial, grind and move up goals.
      Rooting for you! :f_thumbsup:
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for the kind words! :heart:

First 1.5k hands went fairly bad.. bluffing into the nuts all the time, getting sucked and so on. Could´ve saved like 1 stack though I guess. Will try to focus more on picking the right spots / opponents. Daily summary + graph will come in the evening after I reached my daily volume goal of 3-4k hands
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Reducing tables did the trick, I suppose I am too old for more than 2 tables xD This will conclude the day as I am going for some real life sports action until midnight.

I plan on grinding out about 10k hands while making notes about leaks / observations aside. After 10k hands (end of week at latest) the first "work package" will be assigned.

Hand of the day

BTN: $20.56
      SB: $34.17
      BB: $6.75
      UTG: $9.55
      MP: $12.31
      Hero (CO): $26.11

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with 8:heart: 8:spade:
      UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.40, 1 fold, SB raises to $1.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.00) 8:diamond: 7:spade: 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $2.90, Hero calls $2.90

Turn: ($8.80) 3:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $8.40, Hero calls $8.40

River: ($25.60) J:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $21.47 all in, Hero calls $13.41 all in

Final Pot: $52.42
      SB shows Q:club: Q:spade: (two pair, Queens and Sevens)
      Hero shows 8:heart: 8:spade: (a full house, Eights full of Sevens)
      Hero wins $50.92
      (Rake: $1.50)

:spit:
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      500bb pot? :O Weeee haha nh!
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Fantastic morning session, will move back to 16nl soon

• samni
      samni
      Bronze
      Hi man! Nice goals and the first few sessions seem to be treating you well too! Keep it up!
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Last few days were pretty busy in terms of real life appointments. I most likely will not attain my goal of playing 20k hands per week but that´s ok because it finally is all about making money. Good news is finally get monetary support from welfare, bad news is 16nl has not been going all too well since I moved up to 16nl.

As you can see my redline has been decreasing dramatically since I moved up. Here is my take on the most likely reasons:
      - Card promo is over --> games dried up
      - Running bad in medium sized pots (missing boards in 3bet pots etc.)
      - Bluffing in bad spots / catching them on top of their ranges
      - Pounding on weak tight regs which are somewhat observant --> too exploitive
      - Auto 3 barreling vs x-c lines HU
      - Auto piloting
      - Defending BB way too wide against tighter opponents / not 3betting enough HU

Sure 6k hands is no sample but the brainstormed points mentioned comply with my in-session leak list and therefore provide a decent starting point for further improvements.

Showdown winnings should be higher as well. Possible reasons are:
      - Bluffcatching too wide (esp against fish :facepalm: )
      - Running 3 barrel suicide bluffs which in retrospect make no sense
      - Getting it in too light against nitty players preflop
      - Simply running bad / variance

Last point is an easy excuse for a variety of actual leaks. I lost a couple of stacks with sets in multiway situations, partly because they simply hit their draws, partly because they had higher sets. In some spots setmining with 22-55 is dangerous, esp. against nits and thinking regs. Being oop with sets is not going to make enough money to come up for the times I miss. Especially against thinking regs the latter should be true, because they simply don´t play huge pots in single raised situations with 1 pair type hands. That is, emptying the clip with busted draws should be ok and even necessary.

Instead of getting deeper into philosophy, I think grinding out a bigger sample will clarify some of the mentioned aspects in more detail. For the moment I will stick with the observations / assumptions stated above and see how that goes
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Your mother can be proud of you!
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for all the kind comments, I really appreciate it! :s_love:

Quick recap of the first week since the blog started: My main goal is to play 20k+ hands per week with at least 6evbb/100. I started at 10nl which went very well and moved up quickly. 16nl has ever been my personal nemesis since it came live couple years ago. Feels like I am at least 2000 stacks below ev overall xD but whatever, I am winning and I won´t complain. In total I played about 16k hands this week with about 11evbb/100. On 10nl I´ve been running really hot, on 16nl my results reflect the "truth" way more accurate. Hence, I need to improve a lot in order to be a decent winner on 50nl. For all you number fetishists the stakes overview and the graph

One main issue I recently discovered is the good ol´ redline which went down terribly on 16nl. After my last post, I put in more thoughts and efforts at the table rather than autopiloting my way through the hand count. I got more touch and made better decisions which led to less non-sd losses and more winnings. However, I still tend to overvalue hands vs fish and laggy players and not giving credit to obviously strong lines in general, as the following hand illustrates

BTN: $21.10
      SB: $19.00
      BB: $7.17
      UTG: $7.82 (65/38, short sample)
      MP: $20.63
      Hero (CO): $20.88

Pre Flop: ($0.24) Hero is CO with J:heart: J:spade:
      UTG calls $0.16, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.64, 3 folds, UTG raises to $1.12, Hero calls $0.48

Flop: ($2.48) 6:club: 8:club: 5:heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.12, Hero raises to $8.04, UTG calls $5.58 all in

Turn: ($15.88) A:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($15.88) 2:diamond: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $15.88
      UTG shows K:spade: K:heart: (a pair of Kings)
      Hero shows J:heart: J:spade: (a pair of Jacks)
      UTG wins $15.17
      (Rake: $0.71)

I thought like "he most likely is a complete drooler, he could have AQ+ here all day long and the pot is quite large compared to his stack, m´allin bitch" ... sure some of those players think AQ+ is the nuts but the majority simply do not choose those fancy "please put in at least 1bb when I got the nuts" line without KK+. This either leads to getting it in in unfavorable situations or calling flop+turn hoping my opponent shuts down on river :facepalm: Something I need to work on for sure.

Next adjustment was 3betting and cold-calling preflop. If an opponent folds more than 75% vs 3bets, a 3x 3bet generates an immediate profit. Given he is not adjusting at all, I could print money by 3betting atc preflop and giving up against further action. If F3B < 75% and his fold-to cbet in 3bet pots is reasonably high (> 40%) light 3betting + cbetting decent equity is going to be +ev. Combined with auto piloting I started to 3bet J2o or Q5o and wondered why postflop became so damn tough :facepalm:

Talking about -11bb/100 non-sd winnings (see last post), I concluded that missing 1-2 auto piloting / nonsense moves per 100 hands could increase my non-sd winnings (and therefore my overall bottomline) about 3-4bb/100. For example overcalling too light oop pre (like SB) with a hand like 97o or stuff, would save me 1-2bb/100 in the longrun. Same applies for light overcalls such as Q5s on the button in multiway situations and big-blind defense, especially vs cutoff opens.

As you might expect the next week will be about increasing non-sd winnings. Here is what I am about to focus on:

- Incorporate equity realization factors in my bb defense game
      - Call hands that play well vs aggression / make the nuts reasonably often
      - 3Bet hands that might flop decent equity at a good rate
      - Surrender vs obvious nut lines instead of being the last hero

The last point has been discussed in the current 2+2 magazine.. as far as I remember the author states that hero-calling usually tends to be 0ev because we do hero call with the very bottom of our value range. That is, hero-calls quickly become -ev if our opponents range gets tighter. In zoom games information often are way more incomplete than in "normal" ring games and the ability to judge about meta-information is decreased to a minimum because we can´t observe/check how villain´s last hand went down. Therefore best practice should be to rather give up on hands as long as we don´t have a good enough feeling about villain´s range and style of play.

I hope I got it right, would be nice to hear some comments, additions or corrections. :transpire:

Best of luck to all of you for the new week :gl:
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Seriously, never ever ever dare to cash out ... or you´re doomed. Will you spare you the details, it´s just not worth posting

• Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      according to my stats you seem pretty nitty, assuming you're playing under the same name as here.

And if it's not u i am sorry!
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saren113
      according to my stats you seem pretty nitty, assuming you're playing under the same name as here.

And if it's not u i am sorry!
      No, you´re right, that´s very interesting! What´s your sample and your nick? If you wish privacy feel free to add me in com tool and send pm. If not may the doomswitch be with you :s_biggrin:

Speaking of doomswitch and nitty stats... after my last prove of professionalism (see last post), I´ve been working a lot on my game. Although I really got slaughtered that day, most mistakes and losses simply weren´t necessary. After posting it took me like 10 minutes to realize that this "catastrophy" had been a logical consequence rather than the inevitable doomswitch. In retrospect I am somewhat happy it happened, because it revealed some major shortcomings, both mentally and technically. My day started quite bad, I wasn´t in the best mood, maybe even somewhat tilted before even sitting at the tables. Then, after losing a fairly big pot, my capacity for making good and thoughtful decisions decreased drastically. I lost like 6 stacks in what at a first glance might seem like huge coolers (set over set, KK vs AA, etc.) but ín reality most of the time I shouldn´t have played those hands... like calling 3bets with small pps vs a true rock.

I watched a lot of decent videos and sweated established players at higher stakes. With regards to moving up in stakes (beyond 25nl), my current style most likely won´t make it because it´s fairly easy to exploit and opponents are very likely to adjust approriately. On 10nl and 16nl though, I would argue that being exploitable af (even nitty) is the way to go. Reason is the inability of the daily competition to adjust or identify leaks. Furthermore, most looser players seem to not understand their style. According to a friend who plays 100nl+, the best players on higher stakes are quite laggy and super hard to exploit.

At the moment I am running at roughly 6evbb/100 over a somewhat decent sample, I am winning but yes - in order to move up, I need to improve a lot and switch to wider ranges and a more balanced approach. As already mentioned above, I started to work a lot on improving. First "packages" are cold calling, defending vs 3bets and postflop play in 3bet+ situations...

For now it´s too late to elaborate more on my progress, I am really tired. I will continue either tomorrow or on sunday. I would be really happy to get some opinions / feedback. Wish you all a nice weekend and good luck at the tables
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Haven´t really played this weekend because I was too busy doing other things such as birthdays and searching for jobs etc. In terms of volume the last week wasn´t that great. As said in my last post, I much rather focussed on theoretical issues and improving away from the tables. The latter included some research about goal setting and time management. My initial goal was to play 20k+ hands per week. On average I´ve been playing little more than 10k hands but at least reached 6evbb/100 so far.

Obviously, there is a lot of space for improvement regarding overall performance. Therefore I decided to decrease my volume goal to 15k hands, which means I´ll have to play about 2k hands per day or 3-4 hours. Thus the likelihood of not reaching my goals will be decreased. I will split my sessions in 1-1.5 hour heats across the day at times when games are good (late afternoon, late evening up until midnight). In order to prevent myself from having a desastrous session like last tuesday, I will start every day with a "real life" routine to get important things done first. Secondly, the next week will be all about the "packages" mentioned in my last post, especially about postflop play in 3bet- and steal situations. I think this is a very complicated and broad topic, because it necessarily includes hand planning and the identification of my opponent´s leaks.

Fwiw my results since I started the blog

Stay tuned for true content the upcoming week and all the best at the tables :pokerface:
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      No "true" content so far, week was pretty bad in terms of volume / playing because I got hit by a damn influenca. Played like 4-5k hands though which went ok-ish but I wasn´t really motivated / feeling good...now 4 days are left to maintain gold star status which forces me to grind it out. I think 15-16k hands on 16nl zoom are necessary. For the sake of documentation of "progress" my graph until today

After 14k hands of 16nl I am at ~8evbb/100.. certainly the right direction
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Note to myself: Decent session = Hitting cards + making good folds + winning @ showdown + not leveling

575vpp to go

• JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Not the best day but I managed to stick to my plan despite running badly. 392vpp to go, I am not sure whether I will get there, will see.. I should focus on playing my best rather than blindly logging hands.

Graph since blog started