Two queries

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi there,

If anyone can help with these, I'd be grateful:

1. I've just started playing and have read all the Beginner SSS articles. When you have a good hand like A,K, you raise pre-flop. Fine. The article on play after the flop says (I think) that you only continue to bet if you have a 'made hand' after the flop. Otherwise, you just check and fold if someone else bets. So far, so good.

But I've just read "Short Stack Strategy: Beginner's Mistakes" (because now I'm Bronze - woo hoo!) and it talks about making a continuation bet with A,K even if you don't have a made hand after the flop. I've probably misunderstood, but this seems inconsistent. Sorry if I've missed something.

2. Are the principles of SSS the same at any level of BB? So, if you can make a modest amount of money at the lower levels, does it follow that you can make an equivalent amount at higher levels, or do the players get better and just never play into the Short Stacker's game?

Thanks in advance.

Tim64
  • 4 replies
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hi Tim64,

seems like you got something wrong there.

I'll just copy the important part of the strategy article:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/824/7/
      Trash Hand:
      You don't invest more money.
      Exception 1 – You raised pre-flop and only have one opponent:
      You bet 2/3 of the pot. If your opponent raises, calls or already bet before you, your hand is done.
      Exception 2 – You raised pre-flop and only have less than half of the pot left:
      You push all-in in any case.

2. That would be a little bit too easy, wouldn't it? ;)
      Next steps(necessary for higher levels) will be described in the silver articles. And after that you should know enough to work on your play yourself.

Best regards,
      Chiller3k
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi Chiller3k,

Many thanks. You're quite right; I'd forgotten about the rule where you are only facing one opponent. Is this what is meant by a 'continuation bet', then?

I do understand what you mean about not wanting to make it too easy - of course you don't want to give information before we have earned it. I just wanted to get a steer to help me decide how much time to invest in improving my play. Point taken :)

Thanks for your help with the first point.

Regards,
      Tim
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

Yes the "continuation" bet is a bet you make to follow up your pre-flop aggression. Since it is essentially a bluff - you should not do this against too many opponents though. I would recommend you go to the video section: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/ as to watch some Bronze SSS videos. There you will see some of the principles in practice.

As you move up the limits - the strategy for SSS undergoes extreme adjustments. The type of SSS played on NL1000 is totally different than the SSS played on NL10. The different adjustments are covered in Silver+Gold articles and videos.

You shouldn't rush to these advanced style adjustments yet though - since they make no sense on NL10. The level of play there is so simple, that if you start playing fancy, you are just losing money.

Good luck at the tables :)
      SoyCD
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi SoyCD,

Many thanks - that's very helpful.

All the best.

T6